2022 off season

Pastor Dillon

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Can we please draft a RB day 2 to be the starter with Rex as the veteran leadership? There shouldn't be a RB taken day 1 anyways so we can haver our choice or trade down if needed. 

This has to be the plan. He’s earned another year on the roster but not another year as the main back. 

• Like 1

So... let's take stock:

1. Watson - Won't play

2. Tunsil - Injured/To be traded

3. Cooks - Starter

4. Cunningham - Titans

5. Eric Murray - Reserve

6. Mercilius - Packers

7. Lawson - Jets

8. Cannon - Injured/To be cut

9. Roby - Saints

10. Ka'imi - Starter

11. Cobb - Packers

So - of the top 11 on our roster, one is still productive, two will be traded this off-season, three are probably going to be cut and five will count against our cap while playing for someone else.

I really want to think Nick Caserio is getting this team in the right direction, but... I see stuff like this and think he's so far away from the right direction, and is only digging in deeper.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

So... let's take stock:

1. Watson - Won't play

3. Cooks - Starter

4. Cunningham - Titans

5. Eric Murray - Reserve

6. Mercilius - Packers

7. Lawson - Jets

9. Roby - Saints

10. Ka'imi - Starter

11. Cobb - Packers

So - of the top 11 on our roster, one is still productive, two will be traded this off-season, three are probably going to be cut and five will count against our cap while playing for someone else.

I really want to think Nick Caserio is getting this team in the right direction, but... I see stuff like this and think he's so far away from the right direction, and is only digging in deeper.

Here's why I don't judge him yet; he was only responsible for 2 of the 11 players listed. The other 9 were BOB signings/extensions so he's just cleaning up the mess. Shaq and Cannon? Definite whiffs on his part. However, I'm not going to fault him for getting something out of Roby, Cobb, etc. He was dealt a terrible hand and knew it when he became GM. Last season was a total wash, including hiring Culley. This offseason is when his body of work really begins. Who does her hire as HC? What does he get for Watson? Does he trade Tunsil or keep him? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

Here's why I don't judge him yet; he was only responsible for 2 of the 11 players listed. The other 9 were BOB signings/extensions so he's just cleaning up the mess. Shaq and Cannon? Definite whiffs on his part. However, I'm not going to fault him for getting something out of Roby, Cobb, etc. He was dealt a terrible hand and knew it when he became GM. Last season was a total wash, including hiring Culley. This offseason is when his body of work really begins. Who does her hire as HC? What does he get for Watson? Does he trade Tunsil or keep him? 

Yup. When you take over a failing business, you have to strip it down and rebuild from the core up. This is the ugly part. His first real task at this point is finding his long-term HC and coaching staff. Last year he had to squabble one together. Now he has a chance to take his time and select the right one. This will be a major factor in his success. 

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

After Cunningham told him he didn’t want to be in Houston, he could have not restructured his contract, kicking more money into the future for a player that was on his way out. 

He also could have just let Mercilus’ contract play out as is, instead of again kicking more money into the future for a player that was going to be gone after this year. 

Yes, Caserio came into a bad situation, but he also made some bad decisions that made things worse, so he has to get some blame for that.

Also, the guy who did these signings/extensions (Easterby) is still being employed by Caserio instead of being held accountable for the mess he made. 

With that being said, Caserio made some really good moves last off-season, so I’m excited to see what he can do considering they are in a better place now, but he needs to limit the mistakes. Especially considering how much dead money is already on the books.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Yes, Caserio came into a bad situation, but he also made some bad decisions that made things worse, so he has to get some blame for that.

Bingo. Just doing nothing at all would have been more beneficial to the team. Making a move for the sake of making a move doesn't help.

6 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Also, the guy who did these signings/extensions (Easterby) is still being employed by Caserio instead of being held accountable for the mess he made.

I won't blame Caserio for this, because this is a McNair decision.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

So... let's take stock:

1. Watson - Won't play

3. Cooks - Starter

4. Cunningham - Titans

5. Eric Murray - Reserve

6. Mercilius - Packers

7. Lawson - Jets

9. Roby - Saints

10. Ka'imi - Starter

11. Cobb - Packers

This is all misleading. 

watson is gonna bring value to us

tunsil is still the best option at LT after an injury season 

cooks is a starting level WR who could be cut and save up about 9 million

cunningham and Mercilius suck as dead money but the dead money is cheaper than their cap hits would have been. We needed to restructure to be able to fill out a roster. This wasn’t a bad investment gone wrong, it was knowing we were in a better position this off season to take the cap hit because we didn’t need to sign so many guys because we actually have a rookie class coming in 

cannons deal is a wash, we can cut him for no salary hit, so he shouldn’t even be on the list 

Murray has a 1.5 million cap hit if he’s cut so we can actually save 5 million with this move. 

we are getting a draft pick for Roby in 2023, so I’m fine with that  

The Lawson trade didn’t really work out and we are paying 5 million for a 6th round pick but that’s not back breaking  

we are in a much better place today than we were a year ago  hopefully we can get good picks for Watson and be on our way to a rebuild 

8 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

cunningham and Mercilius suck as dead money but the dead money is cheaper than their cap hits would have been

Had this FO designated them as 6/1 cuts, it would have been exponentially cheaper still - but we didn't have the patience to play that card.

I don't disagree - they should have been cut. Caserio not waiting to make a 6/1 move is not good.

This wasn’t a bad investment gone wrong, it was knowing we were in a better position this off season to take the cap hit because we didn’t need to sign so many guys because we actually have a rookie class coming in 

As it stands, the Texans have 26 guys signed through the 2022 season and six draft picks - one more pick than last draft, so the Texans will need 27 players added to form a full 53 for 2022. Yes, the quality of player will improve via the draft, but they still have 21 players to bring in to make a 53 man roster, and they're sitting on an additional $25mm in dead cap that's going to limit how much they can pay out to those 21 players. 

Before you tell me about how much Watson is going to save on the cap, let's be reminded he might not play NEXT season due to his legal situation - the NFL could put him on the Commissioner's Exemption list as cases start working their way through the legal system, which would lock his $35mm salary and make him virtually untradable. (That Miami almost-trade may have been the best opportunity to get out of this situation).

Don't count your chickens before they hatch on Watson, there's a lot to sort through before you start drafting guys with the haul you'll get for the guy. A lot can go sideways before they go forward.

The Lawson trade didn’t really work out and we are paying 5 million for a 6th round pick but that’s not back breaking  

When they're already in a cap strapped situation, spending $5mm for a 6th (that they've already wasted, I believe) isn't exactly rehabbing the situation, either. Sure, your back isn't broken, but it's rolling your ankle - not pleasant, hurts a bunch but you can still walk a bit.

Just cutting McKinney and do nothing else would have been more beneficial.

we are in a much better place today than we were a year ago  

It seems as if this is a belief driven on having the 3rd and 35th pick in the draft ...and nothing more. It's also contingent on trading a player who might be untradable, given their legal situation. 

If that's the case, sure I guess. But literally anyone could have waited the season out and gotten to this point, any one of us regular fans could have been GM if this is the "improvement".

Nick Caserio just did an interview on 610 - Seth and Sean are recapping it, I'll have to listen to it in its entirety - Caserio might have given an answer to Jack Easterby, and it actually might get me to loosen the stance I have on him.

I need to relisten to Caserio to see exactly what he said (I'm dropping off my son at school, so the interview is background noise right now).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Nick Caserio just did an interview on 610 - Seth and Sean are recapping it, I'll have to listen to it in its entirety - Caserio might have given an answer to Jack Easterby, and it actually might get me to loosen the stance I have on him.

I need to relisten to Caserio to see exactly what he said (I'm dropping off my son at school, so the interview is background noise right now).

i saw where 610 tweeted a quote of what he said.  Basically saying his role isnt what Texans fans think it is and he feels like he gets unwarranted hate.   I call BS!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

i saw where 610 tweeted a quote of what he said.  Basically saying his role isnt what Texans fans think it is and he feels like he gets unwarranted hate.   I call BS!

I've got to listen to the interview - the little I gleaned was "he handles non football things, the HC and I handle football things".

Not letting anyone off the hook, but willing to listen.