2022 Hall of fame semifinalists announced

Tk3

13 hours ago, Danger said:

What's weird to me is that there are no players who I feel are no absolute without a doubt players for it this year.

yeah, its a weaker class for sure

But next year has Joe Thomas and Darrelle Revis. The following has Julius Peppers and Antonio Gates.

So those ones will at least have a couple easy choices

Would be cool to add an expansion heavy class. Tony Boselli + Andre Johnson + Steve Smith, then I'd pair this expansion offensive trio with Jared Allen and Demarcus Ware. Realistically I think Steve Smith waits, and the Panther's get their HOFer with Peppers later. I think Vince would be a good replacement for Steve Smith, but I think the expansion trio would be really cool to make a less exciting class more exciting.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2

The case for Leroy Butler is pretty simple - 4x All Pro, made the 90s All-Decade team over contemporaries like John Lynch, Tim McDonald, Darren Woodson, and Merton Hanks. More ints than any of those guys (plus contemporararies/fellow All-90s safety Steve Atwater and Carnell Lake). Career #s are comparable to HOFer Brian Dawkins who played 5 yrs longer. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 12:25 PM, SBLIII said:

would be funny if they don't and in the end the Patriots won 6 Super Bowls in 18 years with just 3 HOFers. Seymour, Wilfork and Rodney Harrison should already be in but I can see them getting screwed.

Seymour I agree is HoF. Harrison isn't. He was a good player but not HoF. Wilfork isn't eligible yet so saying he should be in by now doesn't make sense. He'll be an interesting case study. Culp finally got in a few years ago as the first true NT. But the importance wasn't understood til recently with Wilfork and Hampton. I think he makes it in but obviously can't be in yet.

6 hours ago, mse326 said:

Seymour I agree is HoF. Harrison isn't. He was a good player but not HoF. Wilfork isn't eligible yet so saying he should be in by now doesn't make sense. He'll be an interesting case study. Culp finally got in a few years ago as the first true NT. But the importance wasn't understood til recently with Wilfork and Hampton. I think he makes it in but obviously can't be in yet.

Rodney Harrison is one of two players in the history of the NFL to have at least 30 INTs and 30 sacks in his career. He isn't even close to first ballot but I still think he deserves consideration. 

22 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Nice to see Eric Allen in there again, I don't think he'll get it with the guys that started playing in the late 90s to mid 2000s all starting to get added.

But a great player for one of the greatest defenses of all time.

If Eric Allen didn't play for the Saints who were the NFL's doormat in the 1990's he'd have gotten more love. Saints weren't on television a lot. 

On 11/25/2021 at 11:31 AM, ChazStandard said:

Ware, Holt, Hester, Barber, Wilfork is a class I could live with, in the fact the first one in a while I would say doesn't have a glaring omission or a "WTF" pick.

Wilfork over Seymour?

Honest question, as a Pats fan I imagine you would have a better memory of who was the greater impact player. From the accolades it was Seymour, but I remember Wilfork’s impact more.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Wilfork over Seymour?

Honest question, as a Pats fan I imagine you would have a better memory of who was the greater impact player. From the accolades it was Seymour, but I remember Wilfork’s impact more.

Wilfork is a personal preference, I just liked more as a presence on the team. Plus most of Seymours career was before my time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Wilfork over Seymour?

Its Seymour hands down. Best DE in the BB era and its not close IMO

• Like 4

On 11/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, Danger said:

What's weird to me is that there are no players who I feel are no absolute without a doubt players for it this year.

If I'm naming 5 from that list.

LB Patrick Willis
WR Steve Smith
WR Andre Johnson
LB DeMarcus Ware
KR Devin Hester

Hester deserves to go in - few were as prolific and brought attention to the return game as him outside of guys who are already in the HOF (i.e. Deion).  That said, I can see them making him wait a year or two because he didn't make even a pitter of a contribution in any non-returner capacity; it's a dumb argument, but given the names coming up for candidacy it won't be surprising.

There's a solid case to be made for Willie Anderson too, but they just did multiple OL inductions this past year, I believe, so I can see them slow-playing that as well because it's not a "sexy position."  A case can definitely be made that Seymour is as deserving as Ware is (both deserve to be in, but I'm not sure both go in the same year).  And LeRoy Butler is going to get in, for a number of reasons, it's really just a matter of time.

• Like 1

Andre Johnson, Tony Boselli, Devin Hester. I could make a legit case for all of them but Andre is the only one who should be a lock IMO. An argument could be made against the other two. Boselli should get in and has waited a long time as sort of a penalty for lack of longevity, but has he waited long enough? I'd say yes, but it's not up to me. Is being a returner enough to warrant a first ballot? I'd say yes, but...you know.

You could make a legit case for both Seymour and Willis. Gun to my head and you would probably have to shoot me. Willis was the better player but he doesn't have the longevity that Seymour has.

Torry Holt should be in since Bruce already made it.

Steve Smith was a very good WR who hovered around the top 5-6 range consistently year in, year out but he's never been considered the best. He's def a HoF player but making him a first ballot would be an injustice.