Is Points Per First Down Better Than Points Per Reception?

the lone star

3 members have voted

1. 1. Is Points Per First Down Better Than Points Per Reception?

I ask because first downs are more important than standard receptions. And if someone gets a reception for negative yardage, then they still wind up with positive points. Plus, there are check-down receptions which don't require as much skill as big play first downs or first downs made in double coverage. Also, first downs can apply to important/ pivotal rushing plays, so you can award a rush-heavy RB (like Jordan Howard) some extra points for getting that first down.

I was thinking something like this

0.25 PPR
0.25 PPFD

That way, if you get a first down reception, you still get 0.5 points, like you would in Half PPR. 

I think ppfd is more aligned with the value of moving the chains vs ppr in terms of correlation to scoring points.  

Issue is first downs gained are not a typical statistic that is known compared to receptions.  If more sites listed that in its standard stats for players, ppfd might become more utilized 

On 11/30/2021 at 10:07 PM, squire12 said:

I think ppfd is more aligned with the value of moving the chains vs ppr in terms of correlation to scoring points.  

Issue is first downs gained are not a typical statistic that is known compared to receptions.  If more sites listed that in its standard stats for players, ppfd might become more utilized 

Yeah, that's true. I think PPFD makes more sense, but the biggest problem is that you can't really get that number at first blush from sites like Yahoo or ESPN.