The good, the bad, the fights, the sour beer I tried.

NickButera

The Good

Good win in a big game, especially after lots of us thought the team had lost its way. Great to see them come out fighting, showing we're still in the hunt. Hopefully this will be a springboard to more confidence.

Carlson was great, especially the last kick under huge pressure on what, his fourth attempt. 

Derek Carr I thought was very good, great movement in the pocket, good decisions and dragged the team to the win. He gave his WRs chances to make plays. Would have liked to have seen another TD (like the missed one to the backup TE) but he was the main reason we won.

We pressured the QB a fair amount despite being held repeatedly and a couple of the blitzes were really well designed and executed. Ngakoue was buzzing around and played very well. Crosby moved the QB off his spot and Thomas has a couple nice plays.

Jackson came to play, made a difference and added what we hoped he would add. Hope to see more moving forward, could be a steal.

I actually thought Abram was good today! Great tackling, disciplined and effective. I think we set unrealistic expectations in coverage, he's far from perfect but some of those plays like the pick play just can't be stopped if the QB is accurate. Played a major part in the win.

Renfrow, the little big guy just is so reliable and keeps producing. He's limited due to size and speed but he's very effective and was a lifeline this game after Waller went out.

Mariota was used in the Red zone which was nice. Would have liked to see him come in and throw though as it's obvious he's going to run when he's in.

Greg Olsen called a very good game I thought, varied the attacks, didn't go away from the run game even when it wasn't too successful, used a few screens and really softened the loss of Waller. Dialled. Up a few deep plays and kept the D guessing. I felt like I did t know what play was coming next which hasn't always been the case.

The Bad

Time management at the end of the first half was disappointing, thought we should have at least tried to get into field goal range with time and TOs. Dallas would probably have given up short stuff in bounds.

Losing Waller hurt, hope he's OK moving forward but took a big chunk of the game plan away today.

Edwards was very quiet again, just struggling to separate at this level. He needs a foil in a #1 WR to help him.

Hayward had his worst game for us but also credit to Prescott who made a couple great throws. Facyson was targeted a lot and struggled too.

The Ugly

OLine and penalties were crippling, just when we get into danger territory we trip ourselves with a penalty or a blown block it seems like. Parker was awful, the rest all were beaten too often and really held us back.

Lack of running game when combined with penalties every drive meant we were always behind the chains and trying to convert 3rd and longs instead of high percentage 3rd and shorts. Also really harmed us in the red zone yet again. That Dallas DLine wasn't string so very disappointing we couldn't get much going on the ground to take a bit of pressure off.

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

The Good

Good win in a big game, especially after lots of us thought the team had lost its way. Great to see them come out fighting, showing we're still in the hunt. Hopefully this will be a springboard to more confidence.

Carlson was great, especially the last kick under huge pressure on what, his fourth attempt. 

Derek Carr I thought was very good, great movement in the pocket, good decisions and dragged the team to the win. He gave his WRs chances to make plays. Would have liked to have seen another TD (like the missed one to the backup TE) but he was the main reason we won.

We pressured the QB a fair amount despite being held repeatedly and a couple of the blitzes were really well designed and executed. Ngakoue was buzzing around and played very well. Crosby moved the QB off his spot and Thomas has a couple nice plays.

Jackson came to play, made a difference and added what we hoped he would add. Hope to see more moving forward, could be a steal.

I actually thought Abram was good today! Great tackling, disciplined and effective. I think we set unrealistic expectations in coverage, he's far from perfect but some of those plays like the pick play just can't be stopped if the QB is accurate. Played a major part in the win.

Renfrow, the little big guy just is so reliable and keeps producing. He's limited due to size and speed but he's very effective and was a lifeline this game after Waller went out.

Mariota was used in the Red zone which was nice. Would have liked to see him come in and throw though as it's obvious he's going to run when he's in.

Greg Olsen called a very good game I thought, varied the attacks, didn't go away from the run game even when it wasn't too successful, used a few screens and really softened the loss of Waller. Dialled. Up a few deep plays and kept the D guessing. I felt like I did t know what play was coming next which hasn't always been the case.

The Bad

Time management at the end of the first half was disappointing, thought we should have at least tried to get into field goal range with time and TOs. Dallas would probably have given up short stuff in bounds.

Losing Waller hurt, hope he's OK moving forward but took a big chunk of the game plan away today.

Edwards was very quiet again, just struggling to separate at this level. He needs a foil in a #1 WR to help him.

Hayward had his worst game for us but also credit to Prescott who made a couple great throws. Facyson was targeted a lot and struggled too.

The Ugly

OLine and penalties were crippling, just when we get into danger territory we trip ourselves with a penalty or a blown block it seems like. Parker was awful, the rest all were beaten too often and really held us back.

Lack of running game when combined with penalties every drive meant we were always behind the chains and trying to convert 3rd and longs instead of high percentage 3rd and shorts. Also really harmed us in the red zone yet again. That Dallas DLine wasn't string so very disappointing we couldn't get much going on the ground to take a bit of pressure off.

Good summary, agree with everything particularly on Abram. 

Trufant came in at the end of the game and made a couple of plays, hopefully he can get a few more snaps going forward. 

11 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Good summary, agree with everything particularly on Abram. 

Trufant came in at the end of the game and made a couple of plays, hopefully he can get a few more snaps going forward. 

Yeh, Abram takes a lot flak around here but I didn't see any egregious errors, he gave up a few catches as did the LBs but you can't stop every pass against a very good offensive team. Trufant did look decent too and hopefully after he's got his feet wet and gets into the playbook he'll be able to contribute more as Facyson struggled a bit.

55 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, Abram takes a lot flak around here but I didn't see any egregious errors, he gave up a few catches as did the LBs but you can't stop every pass against a very good offensive team. Trufant did look decent too and hopefully after he's got his feet wet and gets into the playbook he'll be able to contribute more as Facyson struggled a bit.

I like Abram, love his aggression, he made a great play on the 2 pointer getting off the hold in the end zone to make the tackle. He’s got issues in coverage like you said but so has Perryman, but I like what both are doing for the team. 

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention Moehrig too, guy is just playing rock solid and really limiting mistakes, something rookies can struggle with. It's reassuring that he's back there after what we've had for the last few years. I think he could be ready to blossom next season...,..

• Like 3

On 11/26/2021 at 2:16 AM, NickButera said:

Discuss. 

Really impressed with Desean Jackson's improvement. He could be a real difference maker for us in 1-2 more weeks time.

It's very good to be 6-5 and have Washington on schedule. The chance to be 7-5 and play the cheifs gives this season meaning again. 

The fights were a good sign. Teams got spirit.

The sour beer I tried from Russian River Brewing was.... Truly sour. One of the few "actually sour" beers I've had. 

On Desean...absolutely. The one thing that is clear that our offense NEEDS a legitimate deep threat receiver to be functional and while I realise that Jackson has been with us for a few weeks but it does take time for chemistry etc. We need to think about promoting Tyron Johnson over Stoner to back Jackson up - as lets face it Jackson is not playing every snap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

I like Abram, love his aggression, he made a great play on the 2 pointer getting off the hold in the end zone to make the tackle. He’s got issues in coverage like you said but so has Perryman, but I like what both are doing for the team. 

I like Abram. I like the juice he brings and see him as part of the long term plans of this team. However, there have been coverage issues and we really need to play him to his strengths - blitzing, defending the run etc. To me Abram looks more like a frustrated Linebacker rather than a Safety...and then you can try and get another Trevon Moehrig type Safety to play SS as I believe Trevon could play either with ease. The play he had in the Cowboys game where he threw Schultz off the block to stop the 2-pointer just sums him up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

On Desean...absolutely. The one thing that is clear that our offense NEEDS a legitimate deep threat receiver to be functional and while I realise that Jackson has been with us for a few weeks but it does take time for chemistry etc. We need to think about promoting Tyron Johnson over Stoner to back Jackson up - as lets face it Jackson is not playing every snap.

Tyron Johnson is actually an nfl receiver. He should get a few snaps here and there. Very different player than Zay.

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Tyron Johnson is actually an nfl receiver. He should get a few snaps here and there. Very different player than Zay.

Yeah I like Tyron but even if he is just the guy who subs in for Jackson (as at 34 he is never gonna play every snap) then we maintain the deep threat throughout.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 6:14 AM, Heart of Oak said:

I'm hoping we involve him more often going forward. He doesn't need to be in on every snap, but it's undeniable the offense runs better when he's on the field.