Season discussion - 2021

Mid Iowa

I thought I'd throw out a thread to discuss our team. Not just our frustrations, but also our success/bright spots.

I'm looking at QB right now. I was really pleased with Siemian the first few games he played, but now it looks like he's not seeing the field. He's getting a boatload of pressure due to our line being decimated with injury, so I'm sure that's got quite a bit to do with his vision and his head clock. I'm seeing people say to pull the plug on him and go with Hill. Well, the pressure is going to be the same regardless of who's in at QB. It could be Brees, Winston, Book, Manning... the pressure will be the same. We need to overhaul our O-line.

McCoy and Ramczyk are studs! I hope we can build around them, and sink our $$$ into those guys, not Peat & Armstead, they're too brittle. 

I'm giving grace to Michael Thomas for now. Obviously the last 2 seasons have been frustrating for him, so I can't blame him for spouting off from time to time. Sure, he's paid a lot, and he's really good. I truly believe that not having him in practice, not seeing his prep, his work ethic, his focus, is taking away from the young guys who have some talent, but are clearly not focused to NFL standards. I can't think of a time where we've seen so many balls hit receivers in both hands...and then the turf. That's not all on the QB. We NEED CGM back, healthy, and ready to dominate like he did in 2019.

I like a lot of the defensive pieces. Still thin at CB and interior line, but still looking decent.
Regarding defense, it's my opinion that they're allowing lots of points because they're constantly on the field. What did our offense do in the first half against Buffalo? Like 64 total yards and just a few 1st downs? That's a killer on any defense.

As stated in prior weeks, this season is pretty much a wrap. I haven't conceded that notion prior to now - I tend to be an ignorant optimist regarding my teams and sports - but I've seen what everyone else has seen over the past 4 weeks.

Bright spot - our new punter. This dude is really, really good!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm looking at QB right now. I was really pleased with Siemian the first few games he played, but now it looks like he's not seeing the field. He's getting a boatload of pressure due to our line being decimated with injury, so I'm sure that's got quite a bit to do with his vision and his head clock.

Totally agree. He’s on par with Bridgewater IMO, if the line was blocking like it did back then and the weapons had been here for Trevor like they were when Teddy was here, Siemian would be the next Saints backup QB to come in and play well and get some wins. 

This is an absolute no-man’s land from a QB perspective. Next year things will be improved significantly, I hope we roll with Winston, Taysom and Siemian again in the QB room.

I'm seeing people say to pull the plug on him and go with Hill. Well, the pressure is going to be the same regardless of who's in at QB. It could be Brees, Winston, Book, Manning... the pressure will be the same. We need to overhaul our O-line.

Yeah I don’t need to see any more Hill as a starting QB. Love him as a move TE/Jumbo slot WR and HB/Option runner and occasional passer from those packages, as well as his multiple roles on special teams…. but as a starting QB he won’t be any better than Siemian other than maybe just his highlight reels, his lowlight reel will be worse too though.

McCoy and Ramczyk are studs! I hope we can build around them, and sink our $$$ into those guys, not Peat & Armstead, they're too brittle. 

I think we can trade Armstead, we would need to extent him first, or maybe let him talk to another team and agree on an extension. I think we could get a Day 2 pick.

Peat can be traded with a June 1st designation, but I bet we keep him 1 more year and cut him after 2022

I'm giving grace to Michael Thomas for now. Obviously the last 2 seasons have been frustrating for him, so I can't blame him for spouting off from time to time.

I think the tensions between Thomas and the Saints are way overblown. He’s frustrated but he was also the one in the wrong. I also believe the Saints “gave him the year off” once Winston went down, so that might be them appeasing him.

Sure, he's paid a lot, and he's really good. I truly believe that not having him in practice, not seeing his prep, his work ethic, his focus, is taking away from the young guys who have some talent, but are clearly not focused to NFL standards. I can't think of a time where we've seen so many balls hit receivers in both hands...and then the turf. That's not all on the QB. We NEED CGM back, healthy, and ready to dominate like he did in 2019.

agreed.

I like a lot of the defensive pieces. Still thin at CB and interior line, but still looking decent.
Regarding defense, it's my opinion that they're allowing lots of points because they're constantly on the field. What did our offense do in the first half against Buffalo? Like 64 total yards and just a few 1st downs? That's a killer on any defense.

As stated in prior weeks, this season is pretty much a wrap. I haven't conceded that notion prior to now - I tend to be an ignorant optimist regarding my teams and sports - but I've seen what everyone else has seen over the past 4 weeks.

Bright spot - our new punter. This dude is really, really good!!!

agreed… our defense isn’t the teams issue at all IMO, they’re put in impossible situations and are dealing with their own carousel of injuries… it’s not the best defense in the league or anything but there are so many injuries and issues on the offensive side that talking about the defense seems nit picky lol 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm looking at QB right now. I was really pleased with Siemian the first few games he played, but now it looks like he's not seeing the field. He's getting a boatload of pressure due to our line being decimated with injury, so I'm sure that's got quite a bit to do with his vision and his head clock. I'm seeing people say to pull the plug on him and go with Hill. Well, the pressure is going to be the same regardless of who's in at QB.

I was trying to be optimistic with Trevor, but after the last few games I am extremely disappointed with him. He takes too long to throw, bad pocket awareness, I see him miss a lot of throws by either throwing behind the receiver or way over their head. I understand the situation for him is not ideal, but there has to be a better backup quarterback going into next year. Last night's performance was straight up embarrassing. I would not have been surprised if after half time we brought out Hill, but I guess he is still injured 🤷‍♂️

I would love to see we bring back winston (I think he's the real deal even afte injury) and hopefully another veteran backup. 

• Like 1

I'm fine with Siemian as a backup for a few games, there are many much worse backups in the league.  This season is toast anyway, I don't really care who plays QB from here on out.  Taysom is exciting to watch, but he only has one throw, an intermediate bullet pass, and blows balls at literally every other type of pass.  He averaged like 2 fumbles a start and is good for picks as well.

We need receiver and TE badly.  Thomas and Kamara being down at once is doomsday scenario for this offense.

• Like 1

So back to QB, I kinda wonder if Payton just sticks with Siemian, if for nothing else (and I hate to say it this way, but...) to keep Hill from getting injured. The way our O-line has performed, if you put your $40-90 million man back there and he gets crushed every week, he could turn to garbage really quickly, whether from injury or otherwise.

The point a few of you made, YES, to see Winston at #1 next year, and I'd be totally comfy with Hill and Siemian in the QB room, too. Don't forget, we still have Ian Book tucked away. We all know they're Mahomesing him by having him sit a year, study film, learn the language etc...

Deep down, I actually feel really sorry for some of the guys like Cam J, Malcom J... They don't have many years left, and you know they know what we know. And they're still playing hard.

On 11/26/2021 at 9:33 AM, Mid Iowa said:

I'm seeing people say to pull the plug on him and go with Hill. Well, the pressure is going to be the same regardless of who's in at QB.

If Hill was healthy then yeah might as well, but with how deprived the offense is at skill positions and oline atm idk. I mean, Siemian can at least throw it to Hill but the same can't be said the other way around 😅

• Like 1

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Yep. Was for sure one of the cap casualties. Glad hes balling out.

Yeah hope we don't regret that move long term. Was one of my concerns when we decided to resign others over him. Marcus Williams better absolutely go off in the coming years lol. Would also help if Davenport could ever stay healthy, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards at this point.

27 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah hope we don't regret that move long term. Was one of my concerns when we decided to resign others over him. Marcus Williams better absolutely go off in the coming years lol. Would also help if Davenport could ever stay healthy, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards at this point.

Davenport has been elite, I have no issue giving him money. Williams also huge for our defense. He’s the more important player but keeping Hendrickson would’ve been great too lol