Sutton back at practice

jebrick

I think Sutton is going to be an absolute steal. I think he has true potential to be a very good corner. He is feisty and has lockdown potential. He's most likely a first or second rounder if he comes out a year earlier and we snagged him round 3. I doubt he'll be able to contribute much this year since our secondary looks good for the most part but he is definitely in our future defensive backfield. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Sutton is going to be an absolute steal. I think he has true potential to be a very good corner. He is feisty and has lockdown potential. He's most likely a first or second rounder if he comes out a year earlier and we snagged him round 3. I doubt he'll be able to contribute much this year since our secondary looks good for the most part but he is definitely in our future defensive backfield. 

Too many good corners is a nice problem to have.  Plus, he's an experienced PR!

15 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Too many good corners is a nice problem to have.  Plus, he's an experienced PR!

I know, imagine if Brian Allen comes to something as well. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. Who would have thought of this back in 2015 when we were rolling out Antwon Blake, William Gay, and Ross Cockrell?

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know, imagine if Brian Allen comes to something as well. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. Who would have thought of this back in 2015 when we were rolling out Antwon Blake, William Gay, and Ross Cockrell?

Yeah it has definitely been a turn for the better.  Really hoping Brian Allen can make some noise.  

Since Gay is a vet and was on the roster on day 1 -- do we owe him his entire salary? Just trying to think of where the roster move comes from. The two people I can think of immediately are Gay or Moats. Moats does hold some ST value and position flexibility, though its very little. Gay is basically Dime only now with Hilton coming on and plays no ST. 

Just a side note that kinda fits here: I really hate our roster construction, though I partly understand it. We have so many limited backups that offer nothing on ST. Gay, Harrison, Rogers, and mostly Moats. Moves like this you either have to move on from one of them and lose a better in game player (though they dont play much now) or you move on from a ST player and weaken yourself there. 

Thinking while typing...maybe its time to Cut Hunter. He obviously doesnt offer this roster anything. Also, I dont think he would get signed anywhere so in a pinch, he is probably available...as are Cobi and Demarcus. The Rolodex is fine, so okay -- I talked myself into Hunter. Thanks for reading. B|

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Since Gay is a vet and was on the roster on day 1 -- do we owe him his entire salary? Just trying to think of where the roster move comes from. The two people I can think of immediately are Gay or Moats. Moats does hold some ST value and position flexibility, though its very little. Gay is basically Dime only now with Hilton coming on and plays no ST. 

I know the answer and no one is gonna like it.

Allen.  Bumped to PS off main roster.

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

I know the answer and no one is gonna like it.

Allen.  Bumped to PS off main roster.

You're right -- I wouldnt like that. Cutting a player is always taking a risk. Risking a young guy that you could develop who is at minimum ST depth over guys who have no purpose on game day rosters such as Gay, Moats, Hunter, and Rogers...

Yeah, that would piss me off...

Steelers have lost guys they've kept on the roster doing that in the past. Sensabaugh right now hasn't sniffed the field on defense, and fits a similar mold to Gay/Hilton and Sutton. So, you are talking about cutting Allen because he's played less on special teams over a mediocre vet. I would hate that. If they actually see anything in Allen, I think they keep him. And they seem to.

35 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Steelers have lost guys they've kept on the roster doing that in the past. Sensabaugh right now hasn't sniffed the field on defense, and fits a similar mold to Gay/Hilton and Sutton. So, you are talking about cutting Allen because he's played less on special teams over a mediocre vet. I would hate that. If they actually see anything in Allen, I think they keep him. And they seem to.

Agree with this about Sensabaugh.  Rather it not be Allen.  Hunter is certainly expendable. 

But Sensabaugh makes the most sense.  He's pretty much redundant to Gay and NO, Gay is not getting cut, so let's stop speculating that nonsense.  And Moats is not getting cut either.  It comes down to Sensabaugh, Hunter or Allen, I believe. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I think it will be Sensabaugh  and Sutton will be the PR in week 9.

Yeah, I think it has to be Sensabaugh. He's gotten no playing time at all on defense and he seems replacement level on special teams. At least Allen has potential. I'd imagine they are probably about equally talented and they probably both know the playbook equally as well. May as well go with the guy who can help a little currently and could help a lot in the future. 

Archived