Early declaration thread 2022

LinderFournette

No word on this dude yet but I believe he is leaning big time toward declaring, could return for another season though potentially.  By the way this photo is insane, that dude is a mountain, well worth a 2nd round pick and could sneak into the 1st if he works out well.

84432e0ec9f900bdfe462a5322272c7f

Two other Gophers Tanner Morgan and Mohamed Ibrahim already said they were coming back to school.  Spencer Rattler is obviously not declaring since he is in the transfer portal, Dax Hollifield is coming back for another season on Virginia Tech.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

No word on this dude yet but I believe he is leaning big time toward declaring, could return for another season though potentially.  By the way this photo is insane, that dude is a mountain, well worth a 2nd round pick and could sneak into the 1st if he works out well.

84432e0ec9f900bdfe462a5322272c7f

Two other Gophers Tanner Morgan and Mohamed Ibrahim already said they were coming back to school.  Spencer Rattler is obviously not declaring since he is in the transfer portal, Dax Hollifield is coming back for another season on Virginia Tech.

Does his play warrant that or are you just saying because of his size?

48 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Know of that many other dudes 6-9 380 pounds?   And it is not like he is some terrible athlete either.   If Trenton Brown can succeed in the NFL so that Faalele, mind you he has only played organized football for a short time, first time playing the game ever was 2016.  So yeah he has ability and has dominated at times especially in the run game, completely walls off the defender.  Still needs work but he has a ton of upside obviously and with high level NFL coaching and a right fit he could do great.  He could benefit from another year of college but that can be said for a lot of guys.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Know of that many other dudes 6-9 380 pounds?   And it is not like he is some terrible athlete either.   If Trenton Brown can succeed in the NFL so that Faalele, mind you he has only played organized football for a short time, first time playing the game ever was 2016.  So yeah he has ability and has dominated at times especially in the run game, completely walls off the defender.  Still needs work but he has a ton of upside obviously and with high level NFL coaching and a right fit he could do great.  He could benefit from another year of college but that can be said for a lot of guys.  

I’m asking the question because I haven’t scouted him. Jordan M from Philly is similar size (probably a bit smaller) and from Australia also.

I like Faalele as well, but Dawand Jones from Ohio State is similar size (Faalele has probably about an inch and 20 pounds on Jones, but always hard to say for sure in college) and athleticism (Jones is probably more athletic) and has played better this season. both guys are in my shortlist though of guys that I feel pretty comfortable with in Round 1 or Round 2. (below list is not strictly underclassmen, obviously, but relevant to the current convo)

Evan Neal (Alabama)
Ikem Ekwonu (NC State)
Trevor Penning (Northern Iowa)
Charles Cross (Mississippi State)
Bernhard Raimann (Central Michigan)
Nicholas Petit-Frere (Ohio State)
Dawand Jones (Ohio State)
Rasheed Walker (Penn State)
Daniel Faalele (Minnesota)

There are others that I'm intrigued by or just need to go back and look at again, but these are the guys I have on my list at this particular moment. 

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I like Faalele as well, but Dawand Jones from Ohio State is similar size (Faalele has probably about an inch and 20 pounds on Jones, but always hard to say for sure in college) and athleticism (Jones is probably more athletic) and has played better this season. both guys are in my shortlist though of guys that I feel pretty comfortable with in Round 1 or Round 2. (below list is not strictly underclassmen, obviously, but relevant to the current convo)

Evan Neal (Alabama)
Ikem Ekwonu (NC State)
Trevor Penning (Northern Iowa)
Charles Cross (Mississippi State)
Bernhard Raimann (Central Michigan)
Nicholas Petit-Frere (Ohio State)
Dawand Jones (Ohio State)
Rasheed Walker (Penn State)
Daniel Faalele (Minnesota)

There are others that I'm intrigued by or just need to go back and look at again, but these are the guys I have on my list at this particular moment. 

I love Dawand Jones and yes he is clearly more athletic than Faalele.  Then again Ohio State which has the best OL in the nation gave up 4 sacks, 8 tackles for loss and 4 QB hits and both Jones and Petit-Frere gave up big sacks during the game so it is hard because a lot of top OL have struggled.  Neal I thought struggled a bit last week against Auburn, Cross has struggled at times this year, sure has great feet but got beat a few times against Ole Miss for pressures and a sack I believe last week.  Where Minnesota gave up only 3 sacks, 4 TFLS and 1 QB hit and no real edge pressures allowed by Faalele against a solid edge rushing team in Wisconsin but earlier in the year they struggled in pass pro but Schlueter on Minnesota has struggled more in pass pro than Faalele.

Also how many starts does Jones have?  What 13 or so?  12 this year and 1 before this year?  Not totally sure, Faalele has around 30 or so I believe, maybe 29 I do think he missed a game this year or two.  If Jones declares it will greatly help this draft class though and I love his upside with his basketball background athletically.

Also Rasheed Walker has no business going out for the draft, he has been flat awful this year and needs another year of school big time, he has been flat bad this year and has given up a ton of sacks I believe.

7 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I’m asking the question because I haven’t scouted him. Jordan M from Philly is similar size (probably a bit smaller) and from Australia also.

Jordan Mailata had no football experience playing when he got drafted in the 7th round, not quite sure Faalele is quite as athletic as Mailata but yeah he has way more playing experience that is for sure.  But yeah if Jeff Stoutland gets Faalele that would be great because clearly he is a fine OL coach and has produced many solid players after the Eagles draft them, if Faalele goes to the right system with the right coach he could be awesome.

Also not sure how one cannot watch Faalele before, he started 8 games as a freshman 2018, 11 games started in 2019 and started what 9 or 10 games this year in 2021.  He has been literally a big deal for awhile prospect wise, rarely do players like that come around his size much less play as early and be as key to an offensive system as he has been.

• Like 1

These guys have all declared for the draft apparently, but all of them are technically seniors but would of had another year with the COVID year so were all RS JR players.  Going to have a lot of that, guys who are seniors but had another year declaring as underclassmen even though they are technically graduated most likely.  Otton and Ross would be drafted, maybe Watts but doubt the other two.  

Cade Otton RS JR TE Washington

Justyn Ross RS JR WR Clemson

Bryce Watts RS JR CB UMASS

Tre Turner RS JR WR Virginia Tech

Isaih Pacheco RS JR RB Rutgers

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I love Dawand Jones and yes he is clearly more athletic than Faalele.  Then again Ohio State which has the best OL in the nation gave up 4 sacks, 8 tackles for loss and 4 QB hits and both Jones and Petit-Frere gave up big sacks during the game so it is hard because a lot of top OL have struggled.  Neal I thought struggled a bit last week against Auburn, Cross has struggled at times this year, sure has great feet but got beat a few times against Ole Miss for pressures and a sack I believe last week.  Where Minnesota gave up only 3 sacks, 4 TFLS and 1 QB hit and no real edge pressures allowed by Faalele against a solid edge rushing team in Wisconsin but earlier in the year they struggled in pass pro but Schlueter on Minnesota has struggled more in pass pro than Faalele.

Also how many starts does Jones have?  What 13 or so?  12 this year and 1 before this year?  Not totally sure, Faalele has around 30 or so I believe, maybe 29 I do think he missed a game this year or two.  If Jones declares it will greatly help this draft class though and I love his upside with his basketball background athletically.

Also Rasheed Walker has no business going out for the draft, he has been flat awful this year and needs another year of school big time, he has been flat bad this year and has given up a ton of sacks I believe.

Jordan Mailata had no football experience playing when he got drafted in the 7th round, not quite sure Faalele is quite as athletic as Mailata but yeah he has way more playing experience that is for sure.  But yeah if Jeff Stoutland gets Faalele that would be great because clearly he is a fine OL coach and has produced many solid players after the Eagles draft them, if Faalele goes to the right system with the right coach he could be awesome.

Also not sure how one cannot watch Faalele before, he started 8 games as a freshman 2018, 11 games started in 2019 and started what 9 or 10 games this year in 2021.  He has been literally a big deal for awhile prospect wise, rarely do players like that come around his size much less play as early and be as key to an offensive system as he has been.

I’ve watched Minnesota but focused on Tyler Johnson, Rashod Bateman and Antoine Winfield Jr on the other side of the ball. I’ve seen him. I said I haven’t scouted him. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

These guys have all declared for the draft apparently, but all of them are technically seniors but would of had another year with the COVID year so were all RS JR players.  Going to have a lot of that, guys who are seniors but had another year declaring as underclassmen even though they are technically graduated most likely.  Otton and Ross would be drafted, maybe Watts but doubt the other two.  

Turner will get drafted late or be a priority fa

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

His play. 

He was being talked about in the Raiders forum last year as a potential round 3-4 "steal". 

By all accounts, he's improved this year, too. So a 2nd sounds about right to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I haven't kept up with Clemson this year. 

He return healthy and good to go?