GDT 28/11/21 Week 12: Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens on SNF

drd23

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Beyond that I’d invest a day two pick on a LT option. Stanley can’t be relied upon at this point. Also considering bring back AV if he’s willing to take a pay cut with some incentives for PT… as even though he’s below average, he’s not rookie Tyre Phillips level bad. So between Stanley, Phillips, AV, and a day two pick… we should hopefully see LT play to the level we’ve come to expect in franchise history. The stud LG would simply be icing on the cake.

I would rather the Ravens bring in a 7th rounder, UDFA before I bring #78 back.  Just had to chime in and make that clear.

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Though I agree that the OL has reached a critical mass and they will need to divert priority draft assets towards it. Particularly solving the LG spot.

Mekari looks like he should be given the RT spot for the future. We’re not getting much better/consistent play than what he’s supplied game in and game out.

So BPA LG to replace Powers. Then let Ben Cleveland develop as the heir apparent/main depth behind stud rookie and aging Kevin Zeitler.

Beyond that I’d invest a day two pick on a LT option. Stanley can’t be relied upon at this point. Also considering bring back AV if he’s willing to take a pay cut with some incentives for PT… as even though he’s below average, he’s not rookie Tyre Phillips level bad. So between Stanley, Phillips, AV, and a day two pick… we should hopefully see LT play to the level we’ve come to expect in franchise history. The stud LG would simply be icing on the cake.

This is where I mainly disagree.

That would be a very similar gamble/mistake to what we did this offseason - assuming players that have played poorly for us will get better.

At this point it's clear Phillips and AV are horrifically outmatched at the T spots. Putting them into any equation that's banking on them "probably" being good enough is a grave mistake IMO.

Also think its a grave mistake to assume Stanley is going to play at a high level ever again. It sucks that it's potentially a sunk cost but what would suck even worse is having that sunk cost AND not having a legitimate replacement - that is what's happening in the above scenario IMO. T needs to be a first round pick this year OR a legit, proven FA needs to be brought in.

11 hours ago, drd23 said:

Probably misunderstood some more assignments like the time one of their "analysts" posted a clip on Twitter laughing at PQ "running away from the QB" until it was pointed out that his assignment was to pin the LG to allow for an OLB to loop inside (effectively making it a T-E stunt), which led to the original tweet being hastily disappointed 

That was from our Denver game this year, real mask off moment for the PFF crew. 

14 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Mekari looks like he should be given the RT spot for the future. We’re not getting much better/consistent play than what he’s supplied game in and game out.

I can't agree with that. Mekari to me is a backup C/G who is versatile enough to play T but should not be counted on for that.

So BPA LG to replace Powers. Then let Ben Cleveland develop as the heir apparent/main depth behind stud rookie and aging Kevin Zeitler.

I'd like to see Tyre Phillips at LG. Keep AV as backup swing tackle. 

Then spend resources on getting RT (and LT if Stanley's recovery is not going well).  

Seeing Mayfield wait in line to speak with Lamar after the game makes me like him more. It seemed like every smart team had Baker as the top QB including the Ravens so it sucks for him that being drafted by the Browns will probably ruin his career. Especially with the slotted salaries for draft picks now I wonder how long it will be before top prospects pull an Eli/Elway and simply say, "I won't play for the XYZ team and I'll sit out if they draft me."

35 minutes ago, jpeter15 said:

Seeing Mayfield wait in line to speak with Lamar after the game makes me like him more. It seemed like every smart team had Baker as the top QB including the Ravens so it sucks for him that being drafted by the Browns will probably ruin his career. Especially with the slotted salaries for draft picks now I wonder how long it will be before top prospects pull an Eli/Elway and simply say, "I won't play for the XYZ team and I'll sit out if they draft me."

In the past I think you could say this, but not anymore. Cleveland has one of the most loaded rosters league wide and is ready made for QB success with a top end OL, running game, and multiple productive pass catchers. Baker also never had the detractors or insane levels of doubt surrounding him that Lamar or Josh Allen had. As far as I'm concerned he's had a pretty easy ride.

Just now, DreamKid said:

In the past I think you could say this, but not anymore. Cleveland has one of the most loaded rosters league wide and is ready made for QB success with a top end OL, running game, and multiple productive pass catchers. Baker also never had the detractors or insane levels of doubt surrounding him that Lamar or Josh Allen had. As far as I'm concerned he's had a pretty easy ride.

On paper the Browns are a lot more stable now than they were when they drafted him. How many head coaches, offensive coordinators, and different systems has he had to deal with? The first couple years certainly had a negative impact on his development.

Back to their loaded roster comment. They certainly have a ton of talent on paper but what have they shown for it? They have only an 11% chance of making the playoffs, is that entirely on Baker? Stefanski looked like he was going to be a great coach but now people are questioning his schemes and people are saying its been figured out. Who knows for sure but having all the talent they have on their roster but still expecting to miss the playoffs suggests they still aren't a dependable organization. What happens if/when they give up on Baker and they need a new QB but they are picking in the teens rather than top-5? Browns only seem like a threat to me if they plug in an established QB like Deshaun Watson. Otherwise, more of the same.

3 hours ago, jpeter15 said:

What happens if/when they give up on Baker and they need a new QB but they are picking in the teens rather than top-5? Browns only seem like a threat to me if they plug in an established QB like Deshaun Watson. Otherwise, more of the same.

I don't really get your point. You're saying Baker is being failed by the organization on some level, but also saying you don't see them improving unless they get a better QB? Wouldn't said new QB just fall into the same situation and cause the team to struggle again?

Also wouldn't every club in the league prefer to have a plug and play situation for a QB rather than a roster that's bad enough for them to be consistently earning a Top 5 pick? I'd think the Browns fan base would be happy to be out of that hell.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, RavensfanRD said:

I would rather the Ravens bring in a 7th rounder, UDFA before I bring #78 back.  Just had to chime in and make that clear.

If the UDFA they find is of the Patrick Mekari level, then I certainly wouldn’t disagree with this take.

Not defending AV, but he’s had a couple games this season where he looked good to great, but generally has looked below average to terrible. If he’s a last resort fill in behind a healthy Stanley and perhaps a developing rookie OT swing option, I feel confident about our LT depth.

But it’d depend upon what AV was willing to take for me, in most cases, I’d probably cut him.

• Like 1