Let's Talk GM/Ryan Pace

soulman

22 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Pace needs to stay as far away from salary cap decisions as possible.

Possibly but it's not just Pace.  Joey Laine has been working with Pace on the cap and contracts since 2015.

It's still a blank that needs filling in since neither a HC or a Director of Player Personnel are likely to be deeply involved in contracts.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Me too, which is why if I had to put money on it right now I’d guess he gets “promoted” to a role where he isn’t involved with team DTD activities but he’s the go between for the family and the next GM instead of Phillips.

It’s not what I want, but it’s what I’m expecting. 

I expect he will be GM and all this seasons failures will be dumped on Nagy, like Mitch last season, and the word collaboration will not be uttered at Halas Hall.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, soulman said:

Possibly but it's not just Pace.  Joey Laine has been working with Pace on the cap and contracts since 2015.

It's still a blank that needs filling in since neither a HC or a Director of Player Personnel are likely to be deeply involved in contracts.

That’s just one complication in promoting Pace and hiring a GM. Would they make more changes to the front office? And who gets to decide whether to keep guys like Laine around?

I’d imagine they would hire a younger guy willing to keep most of the current staff. And that prompts questions about how much change we’d really see.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

That’s just one complication in promoting Pace and hiring a GM. Would they make more changes to the front office? And who gets to decide whether to keep guys like Laine around?

I’d imagine they would hire a younger guy willing to keep most of the current staff. And that prompts questions about how much change we’d really see.

LaIne was brought in by Pace to replace Cliff Stein who is corporate counsel.  So Pace would be the guy dealing with Laine and others in the front office and elsewhere who are not directly involved with player personnel, scouting, and coaching other than his role in hiring a HC.  I also assume the decisions of who to hire as staff is a decision the HC will make himself.

But again all of this is based on what the article suggested is a more common approach now than in the past where the HC is in charge of player personnel more so than a GM.  GMcC liked to brag about the "collaborative" approach Nagy had with Pace yet it's apparent Pace has final say and we can also say that the end result of their "collaboration" hasn't been all that good.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Should we trust this organization with a QB?

Should we trust Pace to hire a better HC?

Should we trust Curious George and Teddy Ruxspin to hire a better GM?

......the life of a Bears fan

1*-q1204K3HK1MXcG0EIm5sQ.jpeg

If it was accurate and not a bowl of water it would have said, "Outlook not so good" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/01/bears-ryan-pace-likely-out-as-general-manager-matt-nagy/

Interesting that we are now starting to hear that it is likely that Pace follows Nagy out the door.

I think I saw another thing today, along those same lines. It could happen. This much smoke, there well could be some fire there. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think Pace's future could be tied to the HC choice.

If they can land a top HC like Harbaugh or Day and the requirement is a new GM/Personnel Guy... then perhaps he is gone.

If they can't land those guys then maybe he stays.

You forgot to add McDaniels as a top guy who would likely also command his own personnel guy for GM.

As of right now I'd take McDaniels over the top two mentioned guys Harbaugh & Day, but any of them would be an upgrade over what we have right now.

FWIW Albert Breer recently said he's heard that both McDaniels and the Bears have a mutual interest in each other. Certainly this is something to watch in the coming weeks.

Also Lee Corso, who is well respected in college football said he's hearing that Ryan Day is leaving for the NFL this offseason.  Lots of smoke out there right now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You forgot to add McDaniels as a top guy who would likely also command his own personnel guy for GM.

As of right now I'd take McDaniels over the top two mentioned guys Harbaugh & Day, but any of them would be an upgrade over what we have right now.

FWIW Albert Breer recently said he's heard that both McDaniels and the Bears have a mutual interest in each other. Certainly this is something to watch in the coming weeks.

Also Lee Corso, who is well respected in college football said he's hearing that Ryan Day is leaving for the NFL this offseason.  Lots of smoke out there right now.

Is that what Corso said? IIRC I read that he said Day would love to coach in the NFL some day. I didn't see that he said "he's leaving OSU this offseason."

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think Pace's future could be tied to the HC choice.

If they can land a top HC like Harbaugh or Day and the requirement is a new GM/Personnel Guy... then perhaps he is gone.

If they can't land those guys then maybe he stays.

I think Pace is almost 100% out as GM. The only question is whether he's with the Bears in any capacity.

We could see an arrangement where Pace is given another title and has no influence over the day-to-day football operations. That allows the Bears to keep Pace while also hiring the coach/GM they want.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/01/bears-ryan-pace-likely-out-as-general-manager-matt-nagy/

Interesting that we are now starting to hear that it is likely that Pace follows Nagy out the door.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I think Pace is almost 100% out as GM. The only question is whether he's with the Bears in any capacity.

We could see an arrangement where Pace is given another title and has no influence over the day-to-day football operations. That allows the Bears to keep Pace while also hiring the coach/GM they want.

no-question-about-it-ready-to-get-hurt-a

• Like 2