Let's Talk GM/Ryan Pace

soulman

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

But you can hire smart. 

Which means Josh McDaniels shouldn't even be in the conversation. 

Huh? I crave sushi! 😲

It's a thing people seem to enjoy.  Me I prefer my seafood cooked.

Although many years ago I did go to a sushi restaurant in Manhattan with the owner and employees of a Japanese company I did business with.  A very exclusive and pricey sushi restaurant although it had all the ambiance of your basic deli where you ate sitting at the bar.  I would usually ask what I was eating to which the reply was typically.....uh, no ask, just eat.  For all I know I was eating eels testicles and octopus ***.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Ok, I'll mark you down as one who'd marry a woman whose been divorced 5 times before and cheated and every husband or lover she ever had.

Ya' can't marry scared.  😛

As for the first paragraph. This is the NFL we're talking about and they do like to keep matter kind of "in house" so to speak.  Matters will be settled in private and the NFL will go on as the monopoly it has always been.  You don't live in the US do you?

Every year some college coach walks away from his contract with school A to accept a HC job with school B.  Walking out on coaching contracts is not exactly an uncommon thing around here.

What happens in college is irrelevant...when does it happen in the NFL?...

Some clearly think McDaniels is a "bad dude"...he's not...he is a selfish dude who wants things to be right for him...I have no issue with that...some of the best people in sport and super selfish and also super successful.  

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Leslie Frazier being mentioned as a Bears HC prospect.  But then I can imagine about now most any former Bear whose had any HC experience will be seen as a prospect.

Wouldn't shock me if the Bears went with a guy like Frazier although it would be a totally uninspiring hire.

Something tells me they won't though.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think what you really mean is that Bears aren't capable of hiring smart therefore McDaniels won't be in the conversation...because they're too dumb and scared to go that route 

And that too.  No one is saying McD doesn't have an envious track record in NE but what at least some of us are questioning is A) can he repeat that on his own, and B) is he really a good fit for an organization like the Bears.  No doubt his name will come up though.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

What happens in college is irrelevant...when does it happen in the NFL?...

Some clearly think McDaniels is a "bad dude"...he's not...he is a selfish dude who wants things to be right for him...I have no issue with that...some of the best people in sport and super selfish and also super successful.  

Is irrelevant your favorite word or something or do you just enjoy insulting me with it?  Your believing something is irrelevant just because it doesn't advance your own theories doesn't make it so.  This is why I don't respond much to you.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Wouldn't shock me if the Bears went with a guy like Frazier although it would be a totally uninspiring hire.

Something tells me they won't though.

Ha ha, the Bears under McCaskey ownership are 3 decades worth of uninspiring hires.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Is irrelevant your favorite word or something or do you just enjoy insulting me with it?  Your believing something is irrelevant just because it doesn't advance your own theories doesn't make it so.  This is why I don't respond much to you.

How is irrelevant insulting?...especially when it is factually correct...I could say managers leave football (soccer) teams all the time for other teams and that is just as irrelevant...it's not a theory to ask when it happens in the NFL when that actually is relevant to the point...if you can't answer it then don't.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

How is irrelevant insulting?...especially when it is factually correct...I could say managers leave football (soccer) teams all the time for other teams and that is just as irrelevant...it's not a theory to ask when it happens in the NFL when that actually is relevant to the point...if you can't answer it then don't.

How?  Because you have used that term every single time I have brought up facts that don't agree with your way of thinking or viewing things.  You're addicted to certain HC prospects and who is on the top of your list has varied from week to week if not day to day.  You can have your own opinions but you don't get a vote on mine and it would be nice if you stopped trying to invalidate my posts.  I thought the English had better manners.

And in fact NFL coaches have left teams they were under contract to and I gave one example from a very long time ago that established the validity of such contracts.   So it has happened and more than just once and therefore NOT irrelevant.  And now would you please just ignore this so I don't need to remind you that you're behaving like a jerk?

1 minute ago, soulman said:

How?  Because you have used that term every single time I have brought up facts that don't agree with your way of thinking or viewing things.  You're addicted to certain HC prospects and who is on the top of your list has varied from week to week if not day to day.  You can have your own opinions but you don't get a vote on mine and it would be nice if you stopped trying to invalidate my posts.  I thought the English had better manners.

And in fact NFL coaches have left teams they were under contract to and I gave one example from a very long time ago that established the validity of such contracts.   So it has happened and more than just once and therefore NOT irrelevant.  And now would you please just ignore this so I don't need to remind you that you're behaving like a jerk?

Where to start with this post...

Firstly your not offering up facts...read back through many of your if and buts situation that you have no facts to back up...

Secondly I am certainly not English...I am Scottish which is different...factually...

You gave one example from a long time ago? So a long time ago which is otherwise known as? You guessed it irrelevant to how the NFL currently works...any examples from the last decade or so?...

And your issue seems to be you are on a website where people are encouraged to offer up opinions and debate those...you seem to want us all to sit and simply accept everything you say as fact...that isn't going to happen my friend...you may think that is me being a jerk...which is fine it is your opinion and your entitled to it but again if I have an opinion I will voice it time and time again.

54 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think what you really mean is that Bears aren't capable of hiring smart therefore McDaniels won't be in the conversation...because they're too dumb and scared to go that route 

What I really mean is that McDaniels in Denver was AN ABSOLUTE TRAINWRECK. 

Trading away Cutler because he ruffled your feathers a bit is a completely megalomaniacal thing to do. It's EPICALLY insane. 

Going forth from that...how many coaches from the "Belichick tree" have become successful NFL head coaches, in their own right?

Belichick picks assistants exactly like he picks players...dudes with certain attributes that can contribute to his overall scheme of things. Josh McDaniels might not even be a good Offensive Coordinator. 

If the Bears hire McDaniels, they're setting the franchise even further back than where they're at now. Book it. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Trading away Cutler because he ruffled your feathers a bit is a completely megalomaniacal thing to do. It's EPICALLY insane. 

Going forth from that...how many coaches from the "Belichick tree" have become successful NFL head coaches, in their own right?

Belichick picks assistants exactly like he picks players...dudes with certain attributes that can contribute to his overall scheme of things. Josh McDaniels might not even be a good Offensive Coordinator. 

If the Bears hire McDaniels, they're setting the franchise even further back than where they're at now. Book it. 

Was trading away Cutler really insane for two 1st round picks? We watched Cutler for many years...was he ever taking a team to a super bowl?...

Things weren't great in Denver...would never dispute it...but can anyone here honestly say they are the same person they were a decade ago? People change...people grow and adapt...everything you read about McDaniels these days paint him in a very different light from back then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Thats backwards IIRC. From what I remember McDaniels pissed off Cutler who then told his agent to get him out of Denver at any cost. It was a bad start for McDaniels for sure but Cutler never was a really good QB either so that isn't as bad. If he had become a top 10 QB that would look WAY worse.

Valid point and one to consider. BOB has been the best of the bunch I believe.

Josh owns that offense, not Bill. You don't pay an OC a HC salary if you don't think he is the top OC. Bill knew he wanted a young QB and said the big deal for McDaniels was worth it since he is the one who has developed Jones and all other QBs who came through young. As a HC McDaniels has a ton of reasons to be a concern, but as an OC I see none.

So we become a bottom 2 team instead of a bottom 5 team? lol  jk   Switch Nagy to those DEN teams and DEN gets two first overall picks IMO, if he keeps Jay then still gets two top 5 picks. If McDaniels gets to be the GM and HC then I'm concerned more than having him focus on the games and practices.

I don't think McDaniels leaves unless he gets the GM he wants, so it doesn't matter much either way. I'd much rather take the OC job at NE for $4 mil over the HC job here under Pace for $5 mil or whatever penny pinch deal we are likely to offer. Unless he is super high on Fields or they open the checkbook IDK why he would want this job. Harbaugh would at least have the ties to CHI and a chance to spit in SF's face in the playoffs if they both get there. Other first time HCs are likely going to want that pay raise faster and have lower demands.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Was trading away Cutler really insane for two 1st round picks? We watched Cutler for many years...was he ever taking a team to a super bowl?...

Things weren't great in Denver...would never dispute it...but can anyone here honestly say they are the same person they were a decade ago? People change...people grow and adapt...everything you read about McDaniels these days paint him in a very different light from back then.

To be fair they came within 7 points of Green Bay and half of that game was played with Collins and Hanie. He was very close to getting the Bears to the Super Bowl

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

To be fair they came within 7 points of Green Bay and half of that game was played with Collins and Hanie. He was very close to getting the Bears to the Super Bowl

That game was not as close as the score indicated and I'm tired of Cutler's injury being used an excuse as the reason the Bears lost that game too.  Cutler was absolutely trash in that game. Him getting injured was an addition by subtraction.  Hanie played better in one drive than Cutler did the entire 1st half. Cutler was carried into the playoffs by the defense and special teams and then played decent against a 7-9 Seahawks team in the divisional that didn't deserve to be there in the first place.