Let's Talk GM/Ryan Pace

soulman

47 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

To be fair they came within 7 points of Green Bay and half of that game was played with Collins and Hanie. He was very close to getting the Bears to the Super Bowl

Also to be fair that game was 14-0 going into the 4th quarter and Cutler was injured in the 1st half. Cutler was having a bad game that day, just like everytime the Baers play the Packers.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Was trading away Cutler really insane for two 1st round picks? We watched Cutler for many years...was he ever taking a team to a super bowl?...

Yes.

I don't know...do you? And, why? And why did McDaniels? 

And why would he replace Cutler with Tebow?

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Things weren't great in Denver...would never dispute it...but can anyone here honestly say they are the same person they were a decade ago? People change...people grow and adapt...everything you read about McDaniels these days paint him in a very different light from back then.

You're constructing a fantasy narrative to justify hiring McDaniels in Chicago. It's...weird. 

We don't need fantasies and whatnot.

Give me Kellen Moore. Give me Brian Daboll. Give me Ryan Day. Give me Matt Campell. Give me Todd Bowles. Give me Byron Leftwich. 

Stop the Bears front office insanity. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Give me Kellen Moore. Give me Brian Daboll. Give me Ryan Day. Give me Matt Campell. Give me Todd Bowles. Give me Byron Leftwich. 

Always had elite play makers and OL, has zero run game beyond the QB, college coach at an elite recruiting school, college coach, his teams got worse every season, never been away from Arians. Every HC has something that people aren't going to like.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Always had elite play makers and OL, has zero run game beyond the QB, college coach at an elite recruiting school, college coach, his teams got worse every season, never been away from Arians. Every HC has something that people aren't going to like.

Youre at least looking logically. I like to point out irrelevant facts. 

Moore still has never shaved

Daboll needs a box to step on to see, or Legolas to describe what's happening. Hes in a booster seat in the box and no one can convince me otherwise

Leftwich has asymmetrical ears 

Roman looks like he smells lile cabbage. 

McDaniels looks like he'd call the cops on your kids for being out 5 minutes past curfew

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

What I really mean is that McDaniels in Denver was AN ABSOLUTE TRAINWRECK. 

Trading away Cutler because he ruffled your feathers a bit is a completely megalomaniacal thing to do. It's EPICALLY insane. 

Going forth from that...how many coaches from the "Belichick tree" have become successful NFL head coaches, in their own right?

Belichick picks assistants exactly like he picks players...dudes with certain attributes that can contribute to his overall scheme of things. Josh McDaniels might not even be a good Offensive Coordinator. 

If the Bears hire McDaniels, they're setting the franchise even further back than where they're at now. Book it. 

Ok Heinz you had a point until this comment. Even if you dislike the guy there's no denying that he is a very good O coordinator. Let's be real.

I get your concerns about his time in Denver and bailing in the Colts last minute but this guy knows offensive football better than any offensive coach the Bears have ever employed in their existence. I know that's not a high bar to beat but just saying..

I think he deserves a shot.

You're telling me if Bears had the choice between Leslie Frazier and McDaniels you would go with the former?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Yes.

I don't know...do you? And, why? And why did McDaniels? 

And why would he replace Cutler with Tebow?

You're constructing a fantasy narrative to justify hiring McDaniels in Chicago. It's...weird. 

We don't need fantasies and whatnot.

Stop the Bears front office insanity. 

Well yes I do know...Cutler never made it to a super bowl and wasn't an elite QB...maybe it's just the way some Bears fans are conditioned but having an "above average" QB in the NFL means you don't have much...it means you will have one or two really good years and maybe even a play off win...but you will also most be hovering around what was 9-7...McDaniels clearly didn't want that...nor should we...Tebow was terrible no doubt about it but at least Denver tried to find an elite playmaker at the position...they failed...but I would rather that than the death of a thousand cuts knows as mediocrity...

Also I am creating no "fantasy narrative" the evidence of how McDaniels has changed is all out there being discussed by people who know more about football than either of us...

Everyone on your list has just as many pros and cons if not way more so than McDaniels...no candidate is perfect but of the bunch McDaniels is the best IMO.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

McDaniels is one of the truly elite play callers in the league.

I have no idea if he has matured as a coach and a person.

But he would fix the biggest issue the Bears have.

I think play calling is most overrated skill.   What I like is he is thought of as a great teacher and strategist which is way more important IMO.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

This is such a curious prospect for me.  Imagine if this was any other coach, heck, imagine if Nagy gets fired, goes to Atlanta as OC, bombs out there, but then goes back to KC and the Chiefs continue to be excellent, would a team be considering him in 2028 for HC again?  

For me it would depend on who the Head Coach was...still Andy Reid? Then no...a defensive HC in KC and Nagy in full control of the offence then I wouldn't see why not...I have never been against retreads who go on to excel again as coordinators...that head coaching experience is invaluable and you learn more from your defeats that your victories.

The only reason I'm not laughing at the idea of McDaniels is because so many people on here seem to think he'd be a good idea.  It's just hard for me to chalk up his lack of success and generally controversial tenure outside of NE as a learning experience that will improve him.  I think I'll back out of discussion of him as I live in terror of someone saying "oh yeah, well who do YOU want?" because I have no idea besides "not Nagy" at this point, and lack the knowledge to present a case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

The only reason I'm not laughing at the idea of McDaniels is because so many people on here seem to think he'd be a good idea.  It's just hard for me to chalk up his lack of success and generally controversial tenure outside of NE as a learning experience that will improve him.  I think I'll back out of discussion of him as I live in terror of someone saying "oh yeah, well who do YOU want?" because I have no idea besides "not Nagy" at this point, and lack the knowledge to present a case. 

Meh. None of us know, we are just choosing traits and weighing perceived pros and cons. Some get really passionate about one or two but whatever. Im just content to know Nagy is gone soon. 

McDaniels to me is a massive swing that will either develop Fields into a top 5 QB or we will be drafting in the top 5 for the next few years. I'd much rather take that than the "safe" picks with lower potential ceilings. 

Plus with people who may be abrasive a-holes like McDaniels and Harbaugh, we don't have to deal with them. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Meh. None of us know, we are just choosing traits and weighing perceived pros and cons. Some get really passionate about one or two but whatever. Im just content to know Nagy is gone soon. 

McDaniels to me is a massive swing that will either develop Fields into a top 5 QB or we will be drafting in the top 5 for the next few years. I'd much rather take that than the "safe" picks with lower potential ceilings. 

Plus with people who may be abrasive a-holes like McDaniels and Harbaugh, we don't have to deal with them. Lol

Good point.  I just feel like the weirdo for not being enthusiastic  about the guy. It's like having your daughter's new boyfriend over for the first time, and no one else seems to notice or care that he keeps coming back from frequent trips the bathroom sniffing and wiping his nose and he never seems to look up from the Grindr app on his phone. And he drives a PT Cruiser. 

• Like 2