Week 13- Minnesota Vikings (5-6) @ Detroit Lions (0-10-1)

Louis Friend

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

You are officially a Lions fan. 

I was a Rams fan for a long time. We were Lions esque from end of the Martz era to the McVay era, so I get it. On the plus side, Goff finally showed some flashes of his old self. You just gotta keep him where he's comfortable. Campbell did a great job of that in the first half. Put him under center, run the ball, and play action off of it. When he tried to spread it out and go to the shotgun in the second half, it was a disaster. The Lions don't have the weapons for it, it's not something that plays to Goff's strengths, and the Lions were tipping run and pass based on how the OL lined up (which undermined play action fakes, when they used it). The problem with Goff continues to be the turnovers. He needs to grow out of them if he's ever going to be somebody you can rely on as a starter.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I was a Rams fan for a long time. We were Lions esque from end of the Martz era to the McVay era, so I get it. On the plus side, Goff finally showed some flashes of his old self. You just gotta keep him where he's comfortable. Campbell did a great job of that in the first half. Put him under center, run the ball, and play action off of it. When he tried to spread it out and go to the shotgun in the second half, it was a disaster. The Lions don't have the weapons for it, it's not something that plays to Goff's strengths, and the Lions were tipping run and pass based on how the OL lined up (which undermined play action fakes, when they used it). The problem with Goff continues to be the turnovers. He needs to grow out of them if he's ever going to be somebody you can rely on as a starter.

Which is why big bodied WRs are the top need for our offense. Not little speed or good route running guys. We big targets to get the ball out quick and efficiently, which will set up everything else. Which is also why it's hard to judge Goff. He literally has had no WRs to throw to before they picked up Reynolds. Is Goff a top QB? No. But he could be serviceable and someone a team can win with, if you have the pieces around him. I'd still look at a QB long term to replace him, but it's hard to gauge how quickly that should be. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Which is why big bodied WRs are the top need for our offense. Not little speed or good route running guys. We big targets to get the ball out quick and efficiently, which will set up everything else. Which is also why it's hard to judge Goff. He literally has had no WRs to throw to before they picked up Reynolds. Is Goff a top QB? No. But he could be serviceable and someone a team can win with, if you have the pieces around him. I'd still look at a QB long term to replace him, but it's hard to gauge how quickly that should be. 

I agree.  I think adding a decent FA like Gallup or Chark along with a 2nd or higher pick would be a good route to go.  Maybe even another WR in the 3rd if a talent drops.  Then see how well Goff performs next year with real weapons and then decide what to do when his contract is to the point we can move on without ruining the cap. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't even think you necessarily need a big-bodied WR, not that I am opposed to one. You just need good or great WRs. Guys who can consistently get open, separate deep, make contested catches, etc. What helps with Reynolds is that Goff knows he can consistently separate on certain routes (slants, crossers, posts, etc.). Reynolds has his limitations, but he also has strengths. That all said, I don't think a big-bodied WR is the wrong idea either. Just get guys who can play the position at a high level (and stay healthy).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Campbell destroyed Goffs rhythm against Chicago as well. Goff was 11/11 when Campbell went run heavy. It threw the oline out of sink as well and there was simply a parade of penalties after that.

• Like 2