Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey out for the year

AFlaccoSeagulls

27 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Argh. And Rhule was claiming "he could've come back into the game if needed." 

He probably could have. A lot of times players dont realize the extent of an injury until a doctor tells them. Adrenaline is a helluva drug. I had a buddy who tore 2 ligaments in his knee and didnt even realize it until the next day when it was hard to walk. 

25 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Kind of funny how he can't stay healthy after he got his big contact.

CMC was one of the very few RBs I thought would justify his contract simply because he doubles as a slot WR. But this just goes to show you - - - never ever pay a RB. Even if its a prime all pro RB who looks like he is on his way to a HOF career. Just dont do it. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

CMC was one of the very few RBs I thought would justify his contract simply because he doubles as a slot WR. But this just goes to show you - - - never ever pay a RB. Even if its a prime all pro RB who looks like he is on his way to a HOF career. Just dont do it. 

We structured it pretty well though.  I mean, yeah, still sucks how it has all unfolded, but we have an out after 2022 w/ only $12m dead cap.  And given the amount of cap we do have, I think it won't hurt us too much long-term money-wise.

I think going forward if you want to keep an elite RB, you can but you need to do what Cleveland and New Orleans have done. I know Kamara is hurt right now, but he's mostly stayed healthy and productive his entire career and that is because the Saints don't send him out there just to run him into an 8-man box where you might get 3 or so yards.  I love how the Browns manage Chubb's workload.  Even when Hunt was gone, they were smart enough to effectively use their backups.  There is no reason yesterday McCaffrey needed 10 carries in the first half when Miami was stacking everyone at the LOS and blowing through our OL.  

If it means that some games your star RB only touches the ball 6 or 8 times, then so be it.   But I think that is the strategy you have to go with.  Of course it helps if your RB is an effective pass-catcher.  I felt like the Browns gave Chubb a very reasonable contract all things considered.

McCaffrey is still an amazing back.  785 YFS in 7 games.  But I think the Panthers would be fools to not move him to almost exclusively WR next year.  He has more touches in Cordarrelle Patterson this year in 3 less games... going forward, that can't be the case.  His touches should be based on how the defense is playing us.  I mean, the guy alone as a receiver is worth what we pay him.  Let his running skills be a cherry on top, not the other way around.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

This is why they dont advocate for you paying RBs big bucks. A NFL RBs playing lifespan is much less than other skill positions. A RB by committee approach is realistically the best way to do it because if someone demands top dollar, you let them go and replace them with 1 or more cheaper players. 

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

We structured it pretty well though.  I mean, yeah, still sucks how it has all unfolded, but we have an out after 2022 w/ only $12m dead cap.  And given the amount of cap we do have, I think it won't hurt us too much long-term money-wise.

I think going forward if you want to keep an elite RB, you can but you need to do what Cleveland and New Orleans have done. I know Kamara is hurt right now, but he's mostly stayed healthy and productive his entire career and that is because the Saints don't send him out there just to run him into an 8-man box where you might get 3 or so yards.  I love how the Browns manage Chubb's workload.  Even when Hunt was gone, they were smart enough to effectively use their backups.  There is no reason yesterday McCaffrey needed 10 carries in the first half when Miami was stacking everyone at the LOS and blowing through our OL.  

If it means that some games your star RB only touches the ball 6 or 8 times, then so be it.   But I think that is the strategy you have to go with.  Of course it helps if your RB is an effective pass-catcher.  I felt like the Browns gave Chubb a very reasonable contract all things considered.

McCaffrey is still an amazing back.  785 YFS in 7 games.  But I think the Panthers would be fools to not move him to almost exclusively WR next year.  He has more touches in Cordarrelle Patterson this year in 3 less games... going forward, that can't be the case.  His touches should be based on how the defense is playing us.  I mean, the guy alone as a receiver is worth what we pay him.  Let his running skills be a cherry on top, not the other way around.  

Seems like a hybrid HB/WR would be the best move. Bring in a thumper. Use CMC as a slot WR, 3rd down HB, and change of pace runner. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Seems like a hybrid HB/WR would be the best move. Bring in a thumper. Use CMC as a slot WR, 3rd down HB, and change of pace runner. 

been on that train for a while.   CMC is too good a WR option to not shift there and save his body.   Just so much that he could offer paired with Hubbard in 2 back sets and flexed out vs a safety or LB

• Like 4