So what’s Russell Wilson trade value right now

Vladimir L

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The bigger Q is whether Russ will waive his no-trade clause to play for NYG.    Obviously the FO is cleaning house, and that will help, but Wilson's about going to a winner and helping his brand.    Being in NY obviously helps brand-wise, but the overhaul the Gmen need, may very well have them off his radar.     We apparently saw this with Watson & Philly this trade deadline. 

There's no doubt NYG would have a ton of draft capital to offer, as would Philly & NYJ (seems like they'd stay the course with Zach Wilson one more year, too).   But with the no-trade clauses the QB's have, it's going to change the trade landscape a fair amount.

Russ has been rumored to want to jump ship from Seattle to New York more than once over the last number of years. He already plays a professional sport in New York as well, so he's familiar with the area. Obviously nothing is confirmed, but I'd lean towards Russ allowing a trade to NY, and personally, I'd be surprised if he didn't.

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

1. Teams can't trade for more than 3 years of draft picks.    

Can we dive into this? I have a few thoughts that could be corrected based on new information... so give me a bit of feedback on the following:

- The RG3 trade (St Louis received FRPs from 2012, 2013, 2014 - eventually turned into Michael Brockers, Alex Ogletree and Greg Robinson).

- The Carson Wentz draft day trade (Cleveland gets two FRPs, 2017 and 2018, along with a 3rd in 2019).

This has been a talking point in Houston - wait until 2-3 weeks for the draft to where you could get picks in 2024 included in the discussion.

It's possible something changed (likely, actually) but I I don't recall said change...

Just a little game, but I've randomly picked a somewhat middle of the road average team from the last 5 years (the Denver Broncos). Here are their last 6 1st round draft picks:

1. Paxton Lynch

2. Garrett Boles

3. Bradley Chubb

4. Noah Fant

5. Jerry Jeudy

6. Patrick Surtain

If you offered me either Wilson or all six of those players I'd be taking Wilson.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Can we dive into this? I have a few thoughts that could be corrected based on new information... so give me a bit of feedback on the following:

- The RG3 trade (St Louis received FRPs from 2012, 2013, 2014 - eventually turned into Michael Brockers, Alex Ogletree and Greg Robinson).

- The Carson Wentz draft day trade (Cleveland gets two FRPs, 2017 and 2018, along with a 3rd in 2019).

This has been a talking point in Houston - wait until 2-3 weeks for the draft to where you could get picks in 2024 included in the discussion.

It's possible something changed (likely, actually) but I I don't recall said change...

I'm not sure what your question is there.

In all of those examples you're talking about next three drafts. Right now, through draft day, that would be 2022, 2023, and 2024.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonMcC2018 said:

Just a little game, but I've randomly picked a somewhat middle of the road average team from the last 5 years (the Denver Broncos). Here are their last 6 1st round draft picks:

1. Paxton Lynch

2. Garrett Boles

3. Bradley Chubb

4. Noah Fant

5. Jerry Jeudy

6. Patrick Surtain

If you offered me either Wilson or all six of those players I'd be taking Wilson.

Again, though - you don't even need to make the case for 6 - it's only 3 years of drafts that can be traded.   In PHI/NYG/NYJ's case, they can trade 4 picks, but you get the idea.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Again, though - you don't even need to make the case for 6 - it's only 3 years of drafts that can be traded.   In PHI/NYG/NYJ's case, they can trade 4 picks, but you get the idea.

It's just to kind of show the point - even 6 first round picks probably aren't worth a top 5 franchise QB.

55 minutes ago, JonMcC2018 said:

It's just to kind of show the point - even 6 first round picks probably aren't worth a top 5 franchise QB.

It's fair, but the Q becomes if Wilson belongs in that tier anymore.  

I mean, right now, there are probably 4-5 QB's who are seen as top tier (2 who are based on their progress so far) - Mahomes, A-Rod, Brady, Allen, maybe Dak (is it the cast though?  Anyways, don't want to sidetrack it too much, so if you want him in next tier, OK).   Then you have guys like Murray & Herbert who's progressed so quickly that they look ready to enter that tier.     Does Wilson present-day version belong in that group, or is he descending into the Lamar/Stafford/Cousins (very good, but needs help to be great) 3rd tier?    

I would have said before this year no doubt Wilson belongs in that top tier for sure.    The past version of Wilson was a no-brainer.  The thing is - that past version wasn't perfect.   He held on to the ball way too long, and his hero tendencies got him sacked more than just being a bad OL would have been responsible for (we saw it last night at least 1x, if not 2x).    He's making poorer reads, too - should have been picked a 2nd time on the improv play to Lockett in the 4th, and on the 2-pt conversion, he missed the read that DK had separated.    Don't get me wrong, there's a LOT of traits that made him special that remain (that arm talent with that beautiful deep ball, his pocket awareness, and his ability to extend plays).   At worst, he's still a top 7-10 QB, which has tremendous value.     But against a WFT D that has been getting torched by the pass, man, he underwhelmed.  And judging by some of the throws he made last night, it doesn't look like the finger is as much of an issue - he threw about 5-6 dimes last night.   The other mistakes are worrisome in that context (although again, Pete Carroll's emphasis on running the ball isn't helping).

For the record, I'd be fine with DEN trading 3 1sts for him (which if we're in the high teens, is what it would take), so I'm not trying to sell Wilson short.  But I can't deny his perceived value isn't being helped by what we're seeing of late.   It goes beyond the finger injury (although I would totally have given him a pass the first 1-2 weeks back, now it should be ready to go). 

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Specific to Wilson? Probably, but not by much. The two big names (Rodgers/Watson) both have a few things outside of football that will lower their price tag (Rodgers with his "immunized" status, Watson with his legal issues). Other than those two, other QBs who will potentially be on the move are clear tiers below these guys (Big Ben, Tua, Daniel Jones, Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater). 

So of these guys on the move, Wilson represents the best combination of age, on field performance and off field controversy. He'll draw the most, and I could see the Stafford deal as the baseline for Wilson - maybe a few add ons because Wilson has a better resume, but that's really going to come down to how bad someone is willing to trade for him (and there are a few teams that are literally a QB away, so that going to push things up beyond Stafford).

All Im saying is.......barring his legal trouble....Im giving up 2 firsts, 2nd and 3rd for Watson if Im Denver. They have an additional 2nd/3rd from the Von trade so thats basically free money. 

• Like 1

I think he's worth 8 years assuming half the picks are busts so 4 first round picks dependent on what the contract situation is. Less if he won't extend or wants out of Seattle with the intent to see FA or whatever. If he's committed, 4 firsts sounds about right, might have some other picks or players involved, but the basis I feel like is 4.