So what’s Russell Wilson trade value right now

Vladimir L

12 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Colts, Vikings, (healthy) Titans, Niners. Feels like those are a few teams that would be scary with a rejuvenated Wilson.

Darkhorse team - the Giants. Some very appealing WRs, an OL that has strong components and are middle of the road with some upside to be bad, the possibility that Saquan can find something (doubtful, but a good QB can aid a run game by closing off 8 man fronts).

Danny Jones is what he is, a bad QB. Russell Wilson has elevated some less than stellar offenses into very formidable units. Wilson can get guys to play above their paychecks, so that entire offense takes several steps forward in their own personal development as well as a team.

There is also the component of media exposure - Ciara and Wilson are looking to be icons of the Beck/Posh variety (David Beckham/Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spice for the uninitiated) and where else can these two go supernova other than NY? They'd quickly become stars of the city - and that grows exponentially if Wilson turns the Giants into contenders.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

1.  They're going to suck for at least the next 2-3 seasons.    By the time they're back to being OK, he's likely now past his prime (if he's not there already - I didn't think so b4 the season started, but his play both pre-injury and now this past week <when he actually made good throws, suggesting the finger is finally getting full strength back - it didn't have it b4>, well it's a fair Q).     The time to leverage a max return is likely this offseason; especially since they have no 1st round picks this offseason, and a bunch of departing UFA's, the spectre of a complete rebuild is upon Seattle in full force.

2.  Wilson himself is unhappy in SEA - that's what led to the short-lived "not asking for a trade, but if I were, this is where I'd go" news that broke in the preseason.

3.  Wilson & the FO are likely now done - too many years of him asking for the OL to be upgraded, and then for the O to be changed to let him cook - to fall on deaf ears.    

Honestly, it would surprise me more to see Wilson back in SEA than it would to see ARod stay in GB, the relationship/timing point to his departure with bright, neon signs.

Seems like a bad time to sell though, being that Watson and Rodgers will also likely be on the market next offseason.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:46 AM, JonMcC2018 said:

It's just to kind of show the point - even 6 first round picks probably aren't worth a top 5 franchise QB.

Depends on how well the team drafts. For the Cowboys that would be:

1. Parsons

2. CD Lamb

3. Amari Cooper (trade)

4. LVE (all pro before injuries)

5. A gently used Taco (which should have been TJ Watt but Rod Marinelli overrode the scouts)

6. Zeke

I doubt anyone would trade all that for a 33 year old Wilson coming off a year where he is playing like a bottom 10 starter. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Seems like a bad time to sell though, being that Watson and Rodgers will also likely be on the market next offseason.

Well, both players have no-trade clauses - along with Watson.    And let's face it, the QB draft class sucks, and doesn't help teams that want to win now.

In any other position, I'd hear you - but in the case of A-Rod, Wilson & Watson - they get to pick their destination (A-Rod apparently got that in his holdout agreement, the other 2 have full no-trade clauses they have to agree to waive).    So it's not like teams are bidding against each other, they're simply going to be staring down the seller.   In SEA's case, they don't have much leverage.    And if they wait another 1-2 years they'll only lose value on Wilson's future worth - and still have the problem where Wilson really can dictate where he's willing to go.

If the QB's didn't have a no-trade clause to pick their destination, the Seahawks would be wise to wait.  With the QB's being able to choose their landing spots, though, the same problem is going to be there, and the market's not really going to improve, if the buyers are bidding in a very limited field of suitors (as opposed to a total open market of bidders).

It really does bear repeating what others have touched on - with the QB's being able to choose where they want to go, while it isn't going to create a massive discount, it probably caps the ceiling on the return, too.   I'd still say 3 1sts for a team in the late 10's/20 range for their 2022 1st, and 2 1sts plus 2nds if it's a top 10 2022 pick.

Edited by Broncofan

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Darkhorse team - the Giants. Some very appealing WRs, an OL that has strong components and are middle of the road with some upside to be bad, the possibility that Saquan can find something (doubtful, but a good QB can aid a run game by closing off 8 man fronts).

Danny Jones is what he is, a bad QB. Russell Wilson has elevated some less than stellar offenses into very formidable units. Wilson can get guys to play above their paychecks, so that entire offense takes several steps forward in their own personal development as well as a team.

There is also the component of media exposure - Ciara and Wilson are looking to be icons of the Beck/Posh variety (David Beckham/Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spice for the uninitiated) and where else can these two go supernova other than NY? They'd quickly become stars of the city - and that grows exponentially if Wilson turns the Giants into contenders.

Chicago if he is successful could do the same. Houston would also be ideal. They arent NY; but they arent far behind. Houston specifically has been a breeding ground for pop/rap artist. 

Edited by Matts4313

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Chicago if he is successful could do the same

Chicago lacks the resources due to their trade up for Justin Fields - and while Matt Nagy is out, GM Ryan Pace isn't - he's not looking to further his demise by pulling the trigger on a QB he just traded up for.

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Houston would also be ideal.

Despite the resources thrown into the OL, Houston has the 32nd ranked OL in football right now. Russell Wilson wants out of Seattle partially due to his OL not performing well. The WRs are limited to Brandin Cooks and a bunch of castaways/young guys with limited upside, and the Texans RB unit is the worst in football - by a lot.

I see Wilson giving a hard no to the Texans, they're not a QB away from going 8-9, let alone making the playoffs.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Chicago lacks the resources due to their trade up for Justin Fields - and while Matt Nagy is out, GM Ryan Pace isn't - he's not looking to further his demise by pulling the trigger on a QB he just traded up for.

Despite the resources thrown into the OL, Houston has the 32nd ranked OL in football right now. Russell Wilson wants out of Seattle partially due to his OL not performing well. The WRs are limited to Brandin Cooks and a bunch of castaways/young guys with limited upside, and the Texans RB unit is the worst in football - by a lot.

I see Wilson giving a hard no to the Texans, they're not a QB away from going 8-9, let alone making the playoffs.

Maybe I wasnt clear enough. I was referring to this:

There is also the component of media exposure - Ciara and Wilson are looking to be icons of the Beck/Posh variety (David Beckham/Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spice for the uninitiated) and where else can these two go supernova other than NY?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Chicago if he is successful could do the same. Houston would also be ideal. They arent NY; but they arent far behind. Houston specifically has been a breeding ground for pop/rap artist. 

I don't see any of those teams, for the reasons @ET80 covered.   The market reasons you cited are strong, but the other obstacles do matter.

NYG has real potential, but the org is so talent poor and frankly so poorly run.   The X factor is that the Maras are kinda exactly the counter to what Wilson is looking for - remember Mara is the driving force behind the taunting rule.   The only real draw NY has is the city / market for him & Ciara's off-the-field branding - but that's a pretty good one (lol), esp. with the 2 1st round picks they'll own.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Maybe I wasnt clear enough. I was referring to this:

There is also the component of media exposure - Ciara and Wilson are looking to be icons of the Beck/Posh variety (David Beckham/Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spice for the uninitiated) and where else can these two go supernova other than NY?

Ah, got it - yeah, but this would be at expense of actual football results.

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Unless it was Fields for Wilson straight up... Stranger things have happened. 

Don't see it at all from SEA's end.   Fields' rookie struggles this year aren't going to give him the same kind of shine as he had (and I say that as someone who would have been totally OK with DEN going 1.9 with Fields, so I'm not writing him off, not at all with HC Nagy's utter incompetence in developing talent and hopelessness in trying to run a functional O), and frankly, with SEA's OL problems and overall scheme issues (and talent issues everywhere but Metcalf/Lockett), not a recipe for success...at all.    I actually expect SEA trades Wilson, stopgaps it for a year or 2, and then dives back into the QB sweepstakes in 2023-24.   2022 is basically shaping up to be a blow-it-all-up year for Seattle.   I mean, if SEA hires BOB as their GM this offseason, ok maybe...but you'd need something that unlikely IMO to happen.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Don't see it at all from SEA's end.   His struggles this year aren't going to give him the same kind of shine as he had, and frankly, with SEA's OL problems and overall scheme issues (and talent issues everywhere but Metcalf/Lockett), not a recipe for success...at all.    I actually expect SEA trades Wilson, stopgaps it for a year or 2, and then dives back into the QB sweepstakes in 2023-24.   2022 is basically shaping up to be a blow-it-all-up year for Seattle. 

We would have to know how Seattle graded Fields to know if it would make any sense. If they had a top 5 grade on him last year, which would be #1 overall this year, than it could absolutely be fair compensation. If they had him ranked much lower - than all bets are off. 

Either way, the "blow it up and rebuild" is something fans always talk about and teams rarely do. They want 10 wins every year because that creates a lot of revenue. Playoffs, superbowls are obviously a huge priority, but not being a horrific team is also a major goal. 

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

I hate Russell Wilson but he's a damn good quarterback and the age doesn't worry me that much. It feels like his decision making on drop backs as far as when to run, whether to run, how to run, etc tend to keep the big dangerous hits down. I dunno why but I worry less about it with him than I do with a Jackson or Murray.

I'm a vacuum, like not taking into account a bidding war or him refusing to play for certain teams? If I'm a decent to good team that needs a really good QB to put us over the top, I'm sending a couple it first round picks for sure. They'll probably be lower anyways.

Assuming Wilson is engaged and excited about a fresh start, and a team that has a solid offense, a line that can buy him a little time, and a defense that can keep the team in a game? I think he'd thrive.

Colts, Vikings, (healthy) Titans, Niners. Feels like those are a few teams that would be scary with a rejuvenated Wilson.

Have fun dealing with his insufferable personality though 😁

Don’t see how going from Cousins to Wilson really improves the Vikings. Considering the Vikes have had several multiple score leads in games they’ve won and lost just to blow that lead, it’s a defensive issue.

Cousins is playing really well, even better than Wilson, outside of a few poor moments (had some troubles in SF, the GB game (bailed about by the Packers not making plays) and the Ravens game (got the ball at midfield in OT after a Barr Int and went 3 and out.... two plays were runs though).

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:
40 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And in the case of CHI, not enough ammo to get it done.

Unless it was Fields for Wilson straight up... Stranger things have happened. 

This isn't Bill O'Brien we're talking about. Seattle doing this - after pulling of their own BoB move with Jamal Adams - would not go over well with an ownership team that's accustomed to winning. You're not trading Wilson at a loss, regardless of how much Fields was valued on the Seahawks board.

IMO - Seattle would concede to each and every Wilson request in perpetuity before a straight up player for player trade with Justin Fields in return.

Maybe for a QB such Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Pat Mahomes, Watson - but (save for Watson) none of those teams would even consider such a move.