So what’s Russell Wilson trade value right now

Vladimir L

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

1.  They're going to suck for at least the next 2-3 seasons.    By the time they're back to being OK, he's likely now past his prime (if he's not there already - I didn't think so b4 the season started, but his play both pre-injury and now this past week <when he actually made good throws, suggesting the finger is finally getting full strength back - it didn't have it b4>, well it's a fair Q).     The time to leverage a max return is likely this offseason; especially since they have no 1st round picks this offseason, and a bunch of departing UFA's, the spectre of a complete rebuild is upon Seattle in full force.

2.  Wilson himself is unhappy in SEA - that's what led to the short-lived "not asking for a trade, but if I were, this is where I'd go" news that broke in the preseason.

3.  Wilson & the FO are likely now done - too many years of him asking for the OL to be upgraded, and then for the O to be changed to let him cook - to fall on deaf ears.    

Honestly, it would surprise me more to see Wilson back in SEA than it would to see ARod stay in GB, the relationship/timing point to his departure with bright, neon signs.

This narrative is bunk. Seattle has invested a ton capital along on the offensive line the last 5-6 seasons. Current OL (Duane Brown = 2 2nds, Damien Lewis 2nd, Ethan Pocic - 2nd, Gabe Jackson - 4th, Brandon Shell $$). They have spent high picks on Justin Britt, John Moffit, James Carpenter, Germaine Ifedi. They chased high profile FA's like TJ LAng, Nate Solder, Brian Bulaga, Corey Linsley, Joe Thuney etc.  It just hasnt worked out.

Also; the shift back in 2017 from OC Bevell to Schotty was specifically to focus the offense on Russ's strength; verticality. Russ's regression in the back half of 2020 got the dude fired even though Seattle was a top 10 Offense the entire time Schotty was calling plays. Seattle brought in Waldron specifically to scheme away Russ's weaknesses (beating 2 deep). And Russ's regression is about to get another dude fired.

• Like 2

He needs to go to a team with a HC as good as Pete or better was before this season. The talent still matters obviously but if he teams up with Joe Judge or some other underwelming HC he won't sniff a SB.  I doubt it happens but it would be nice to watch him in Sean Payton offense.

Wouldn't discount the Eagles as a potential trade partner.  3 1st rd picks and Jalen Hurts would all be at their disposal in a potential deal.

Not sure Russ would want to come to Philadelphia but it is a big Market ,close enough to NY for Ciara and the Ammo to get it done. Not to mentioned a scheduled away NFCW opponent for 2022 (which might be Seattle). 🤷‍♂️

Part of me would love to see what a Competent passing QB could do with these weapons, the majority would rather just build the team up around Hurts for 2022, if he sucks next year meaning has shown absolutely no improvement as a passer at least more pieces are in place for whomever is QB in 2023.

51 minutes ago, Chargers said:

He needs to go to a team with a HC as good as Pete or better was before this season. The talent still matters obviously but if he teams up with Joe Judge or some other underwelming HC he won't sniff a SB.  

I think that's one scenario we won't have to worry about at all (not that NYG doesn't have a chance, but more Judge is a dead man walking).

Wilson's list last year was the Cowboys, Bears, Saints & Raiders right? 

You can cross the Cowboys & Bears off the list 

I'm pretty sure Wilson will go for 3 first round picks or the equivalent (2 firsts & 2 seconds, etc). Maybe more 

If thiis is a weak QB class, best bet for Seattle may be to trade him to Saints/Raiders for 2 1st's, some extra picks, & Winston/Carr in return to at least be the bridge QB  

Credit to @paul-mac who posted this in DEN forum - but game on for NYG/DEN/NO.

NYG has the inside track with pick capital, but DEN also has young players that can help (unlikely to be Jerry Jeudy <dumb for SEA to even think WR except WR3 who's cheap>, Patrick Surtain Jr., Javonte Williams or Quinn Meinerz - but Caden Sterns, Baron Browning are 2 young 2nd year guys next year likely to draw interest).   If DEN can secure more FA EDGE help, Bradley Chubb would likely be on the market as well.  

To be clear, it's likely now 3 1sts - because NYG is in the mix.   If Wilson was able to say "sorry, I'm only going here" - then the price might have been 2 1sts and 2 2nds - but unless NYG inexplicably bows out, the market competition principle alone makes 3 1sts the starting point IMO.  I said before that Wilson limiting the trade market with his "wish list" would likely cap his return - but including NYG, that voids the premise, since NYG can offer up to 4 1sts from 2022-24.   The real Q is how much does Wilson really want to go to NYG over DEN/NO if that report is true, and of course, how much SEA would prefer to send him to the NFL, if the packages are similar in return.

Edited by Broncofan

HOLY ****. 

Please, let this be true Allbright (who's been incredibly accurate the last 3+ years with DEN, still plugged in).     The other part that puts DEN in a good position vs. NYG / NO is that trading Wilson to the AFC is probably SEA's plan A, provided they can get a similar return.   Of course, Wilson having a stronger preference wouldn't hurt either.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Broncofan

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

HOLY ****. 

Please, let this be true Allbright (who's been incredibly accurate the last 3+ years with DEN, still plugged in).     The other part that puts DEN in a good position vs. NYG / NO is that trading Wilson to the AFC is probably SEA's plan A, provided they can get a similar return.   Of course, Wilson having a stronger preference wouldn't hurt either.

Fingers crossed.

This feels like a good situation for all sides. SEA gets probably a good return and Wilson is out of the conference. DEN is in win-now mode with the pieces they have and can afford to sacrifice those draft picks to acquire Wilson for a couple of years.

It's the Peyton Manning trade all over again lmao

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This feels like a good situation for all sides. SEA gets probably a good return and Wilson is out of the conference. DEN is in win-now mode with the pieces they have and can afford to sacrifice those draft picks to acquire Wilson for a couple of years.

It's the Peyton Manning trade all over again lmao

You mean Peyton Manning FA signing, no trade there.

Believe it or not, we have DEN fans wringing their hands about trading away multiple 1sts for Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.   The problem with that thinking is 3-fold - first, those picks are likely in the 20's, not in the top 10 range where we've had great young talent fill the roster.    Second, our window where our young core is cheap is now - the perfect time to bring in a top 10 QB who's at market salary (but no bonus money - so still below top 10 prices for 2 more years).  Finally, if there's a time to bring in big $ QB - it's 2022-23, when the salary cap is going to be balloon with the post-Covid bump back AND the TV/online streaming $ coming in.

I said this in the Denver thread on QB - this isn't a debate on Kirk Cousins vs. Case Keenum FA 2017.   Or Sam Darnold/Jameis Winston vs. TeddyB vs. 1.9 Rd1 QB in 2021.   This is a bona fide, top 10 QB who's got the opportunity to play at peak for 4-5 more years.    And as you said, we're good enough right now, if we had a top 10 QB, we could be 8-4 or 9-3, and a legitimate SB contender.   And a contender for years to come, given our core is young.

If the reports are correct, GM Paton has to get this done.    The final point - as long as we come close, trading Wilson to the AFC is clearly attractive to SEA.    

Gotta say I was excited about Watson to DEN, but the off-field stuff killed that hope.    A-Rod to DEN, same - but it always came with the risk of a MUCH shorter shelf life.   It's so clear our roster is ready to contend now with a top 10 QB - but with the QB's we've got now, we're dead in the water.   This would be the next-best thing to getting a controversy-free Watson (age 25 matters, but that ship has sailed, obviously).   Gotta believe with GM Paton that this is Plan A, B & C (doesn't mean we'll get it, but he should be going all-out to explore this first & foremost).   I'm totally stoked. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

the perfect time to bring in a top 10 QB who's at market salary (but no bonus money - so still below top 10 prices for 2 more years). 

I'm fairly certain that Russell and his agent are going to demand new money as part of any trade deal- that may end up being important in the bidding.
I also wonder who Russell is bringing in as his new OC in Denver, the Saints with Sean Payton are stiff competition.

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm fairly certain that Russell and his agent are going to demand new money as part of any trade deal- that may end up being important in the bidding.
I also wonder who Russell is bringing in as his new OC in Denver, the Saints with Sean Payton are stiff competition.

Fair, but it's almost certainly going to create more years for DEN too.   So the way signing bonuses will likely work, big signing bonus, restructure of year 1 salary to minimize it, and then bigger salaries down the road.   The thing is - QB top of the line contracts almost always end up being bargains later.    Matt Stafford had the top paying contract when it was announced - and by year 4, it was actually bottom half.   

The unique opportunity this time presents is that the cap increase for 2021 to 2022 and likely from 2022 to 2023 is disproportionately massive.     If there's a time teams can afford to spend up, it's now.   It's no coincidence teams are looking to sign rookie deal players to their big 2nd contracts without trying the franchise tag / offseason negotiations.

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

HOLY ****. 

Fingers crossed.

My preference is NOT to trade Russ, but...

Javonte + 3 1sts would be .... tempting. 

Edited by animaltested

10 minutes ago, animaltested said:

My preference is NOT to trade Russ, but...

Javonte + 3 1sts would be .... tempting. 

More likely Denver would offer 3 1sts and defenders - probably an OL (because we have depth - Glasgow being a decent starter that we can replace, and signed for 2 more years, for example).   With NYG in the mix, it would be unrealistic to think it would be anything less than 3 1sts. 

I suspect given the win-now view, DEN would be more open to trading 3 1sts and a 2022 2nd, plus those type players, than Williams.   MG3 is a goner.   DEN traded up to get him.    TBH, from a pure rebuilding perspective, RB isn't the best value regardless, it's a definite win-now move to get a RB....for a pure rebuilder, not so much. 

3 1sts and Dremont Jones would be a scenario, plus Glasgow, for example.   FWIW, I don't think any SEA fan should want Russ to be traded, but once he sets his mind to it, it's more what's the best return.  It's sad that it's come to this - but as great as the FO was in building the 2013-16 powerhouse, their failure to develop talent (and total ineptitude in trading away 2 1sts for Jamal Adams), has doomed the franchise to really commit to starting over.    

Edited by Broncofan