So what’s Russell Wilson trade value right now

Vladimir L

8 hours ago, JMG5 said:

We definitely have a massive edge when it comes to coaching and maybe OL. The defenses are all comparable, but NYG and Denver have the clear edge when it comes to offensive skill positions, cap flexibility and draft capital. 

We have (when healthy) a much better OL than the other teams mentioned. In terms of skill positions. Michael Thomas is a bit of a wildcard, but assuming he is healthy next year, he is better than any WR on those other teams. Kamara is also as good as they get in the NFL in terms of RB's involved in the pass game. Suppose adding another WR into the mix certainly wouldn't be a bad idea though. The other teams certainly do have the edge in cap flexibility and draft capital though.

8 hours ago, JMG5 said:

If I had to put money on it I would say Denver has the best shot. They're an AFC team, they have cap flexibility with the draft capital needed to acquire him and Russell could pick his OC. Seems like the perfect storm. 

That being said, I would love to see what Wilson and Sean could cook up together. I just doubt it happens. 

I don't see New York being a legit option if he is truly looking to go to a competent team that isn't rebuilding. Denver certainly seems possible. I'd have to think Russell's preference would be New Orleans given our current roster and coaching staff, but we are also the least flexible in terms of cap and draft picks, so I could certainly see the getting in the way of things working out a deal with Seattle.

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Are the Seahawks really going to trade Wilson to a direct NFC rival in the Saints?

I think the Broncos have to be considered the front runner here

Its not up to the Seahawks really. He has a no-trade clause. If he prefers Denver, than yes obviously Seattle would rather move him there but if Wilson says he wants to be in NOLA, the Seahawks don't really have an option.

Personally, if you gave me the option between Jameis and keeping 2-3 first round picks or taking on Wilson I'm not sure I'd choose Wilson. We were winning games with Winston, and we have a lot of guys aging at key positions. Defense could take a big step back with Cameron Jordan, Demario Davis and Malcolm Jenkins all being on their last legs or getting close to it with age. Would prefer to keep those picks to reload the defense or you risk just being the Seattle Seahawks...Good QB with a bad defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Its not up to the Seahawks really. He has a no-trade clause. If he prefers Denver, than yes obviously Seattle would rather move him there but if Wilson says he wants to be in NOLA, the Seahawks don't really have an option.

Personally, if you gave me the option between Jameis and keeping 2-3 first round picks or taking on Wilson I'm not sure I'd choose Wilson. We were winning games with Winston, and we have a lot of guys aging at key positions. Defense could take a big step back with Cameron Jordan, Demario Davis and Malcolm Jenkins all being on their last legs or getting close to it with age. Would prefer to keep those picks to reload the defense or you risk just being the Seattle Seahawks...Good QB with a bad defense.

They have the option not to trade him at all, though. It could be that Denver or another AFC team is the only compromise that suits all parties. 

4 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

If Wilson demands out, you’re trading him. 

Serious question - why?

He's got two years on his contract. He could sit out, but he's risking losing money by doing so - Seattle isn't paying him to sit games out, so unless people crowdsource $37mm to keep the lights on at Casa de Russell, Wilson is slated to lose a lot of money if he did anything other than play.

He's 33, so this isn't like Deshaun Watson who could sit and still have prime years of football ahead of him. If Seattle calls him on this staring contest and makes him sit or play, he's slated to lose money and will be getting into his mid 30s.

Really, we have no precedent here, so speaking in absolutes such as this isn't based on anything. If Wilson sits, he's losing money and seeing his skill set diminish while inactive. We like to dream a bit, but real talk? He's got no leverage, he's under contract - and Ciara ain't a cheap wife.

41 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Serious question - why?

He's got two years on his contract. He could sit out, but he's risking losing money by doing so - Seattle isn't paying him to sit games out, so unless people crowdsource $37mm to keep the lights on at Casa de Russell, Wilson is slated to lose a lot of money if he did anything other than play.

He's 33, so this isn't like Deshaun Watson who could sit and still have prime years of football ahead of him. If Seattle calls him on this staring contest and makes him sit or play, he's slated to lose money and will be getting into his mid 30s.

Really, we have no precedent here, so speaking in absolutes such as this isn't based on anything. If Wilson sits, he's losing money and seeing his skill set diminish while inactive. We like to dream a bit, but real talk? He's got no leverage, he's under contract - and Ciara ain't a cheap wife.

Why would any team want an unhappy QB sitting on the bench? To “stick it to em”? Would make zero sense and only hurt the franchise more in the long run. 

24 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Why would any team want an unhappy QB sitting on the bench?

Who said he'd be sitting on the bench? Wilson was unhappy last off-season, did he sit this season? Did Aaron Rodgers sit this season? Deshaun Watson is sitting, but it's for non-football reasons.

I strongly believe that these threats are vastly overblown (save for Watson - he wants out, Texans want him out). I'm not the only one who believes this either...

So, y'know... take that for what you will. If he "loves this place and loves this space" he probably won't be unhappy on the bench... nor will he be on the bench to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Why would any team want an unhappy QB sitting on the bench? To “stick it to em”? Would make zero sense and only hurt the franchise more in the long run. 

Financial reasons. Some times the dead weight on the contract is bad and there is no financial benefit to getting rid of the QB.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Who said he'd be sitting on the bench? Wilson was unhappy last off-season, did he sit this season? Did Aaron Rodgers sit this season? Deshaun Watson is sitting, but it's for non-football reasons.

I strongly believe that these threats are vastly overblown (save for Watson - he wants out, Texans want him out). I'm not the only one who believes this either...

So, y'know... take that for what you will. If he "loves this place and loves this space" he probably won't be unhappy on the bench... nor will he be on the bench to begin with.

Yeah… this was obviously all predicated on him demanding out lol. If that’s not the case than this isn’t a conversation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to double back here, remember when Wilson said all those nice things about wanting to stay in SEA?   

Well, it didn't take long for the first crack to appear - 1 week.    This is how it goes when you want a PR-friendly exit, and convince your team to trade you.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, MookieMonstah said:

Because the NFL owners are refusing to bend on these issues because they've seen what happens in the NBA. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:42 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He is NOT in his prime.

One bad year doesn't mean he all of a sudden forgot how to play QB. Wilson's biggest issue is he's always trying to play hero ball even when it isn't necessary. He needs a coach that can reign him in when he's playing too wild.

The whole rebuild thing is a great idea, except how difficult it is to find a SB winning Qb. I can understand the Hawks reluctance to move him no matter the compensation offered.  It is extremely rare for a Niners or Packers situation.  Montana to Young and Farve to Rodgers.  League has been around a long time.  History shows once the SB winning Qb is gone, an organization wonders in the Qb wilderness for a long, long time