Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

Well might not be too early.

First is the dead cap advancement:

Ben Roethlisberger (retirement) $10.3mil advances in dead cap

Juju Smith-Schester (not resigned - outbid) $5.6mil advances in dead cap

Eric Erbon (not resigned - sucks) $3.9mil advances in dead cap

Carry over dead cap (Ingram, Roche, Brown, Stiner, Gilbert, Wade, Watson, McKoy, Bundage, Bussey) $2.5mil

TOTAL: $22.3mil

Cuts:

Joe Schobert $8mil savings

Zach Banner $5mil savings

Joe Haeg $2.6mil savings

Tyson Alualu (retirement) $2.5mil savings

TOTAL: $15.6mil savings

5th year option:

Devin Bush - Declined

CAP GOING INTO OFFSEASON: $64,827,224 (based on a $219mil cap)

Ok, so a general thing to keep in mind with signings in the offseason:  Steelers tend to shy away from FA's that are 30+ years old.  So I will be doing the same thing in avoiding guys of that age or higher.  My "must gets" are in italics.

QB - With no Ben, Mason not being the answer, and really nothing else worthwhile will be shopping.  I want to project a trade, but I won't.  So TARGETS: Marcus Mariota, Mitchell Trubisky, Josh Dobbs.  Not a super stellar QB room but you could do a ton worse for a transition period.

RB - Najee is the only set in stone RB on this for me.  So we need a change of pace back and a backup general back.  TARGETS: Phillip Lindsay, Marlon Mack.  Mack is a great pass catching back who can run it well too, and Lindsay is your change of pace back.

WR - Buh-Bye to both Juju and Washington.  Ray-ray is replaceable.  So I would be looking for about 2 here.  Luckily there's some talent here this year.  TARGETS: Chris Godwin, Christian Kirk, Cedrick Wilson

OL - Still in need of a total overhaul IMO.  This year didn't get it done.  TARGETS: Cam Robinson, Connor Williams, Bradley Bozeman

IDL - Our starters in Heyward and Tuitt are strong.  I expect Alualu to retire.  So we need a run stuffing NT and a better rotational backup for when there's an injury.  And I'm not relying on a rookie here.  I think Wormley might be gone along with Buggs anyways so Loudermilk is it for depth.  TARGETS: Emmanuel Ogbah, Solomon Thomas, Johnathan Haskins

EDGE - We really just need some depth here.  TARGETS: Isaac Rochell, Jordan Willis, Taco Charleton (retain)

ILB - Now we are really getting into the overhaul area.  If done right, this will basically make Bush expendable and we can send him somewhere for a 6th or something to boost what we have in the draft.  TARGETS: Jayon Brown, Jarrad Davis, Anthony Walker Jr., Reggie Ragland

CB - Another big overhaul area like LB.  Again my plan involves "de-moting" someone and pushing Sutton back to nickel corner.  TARGETS: Darious Williams, Carlton Davis, Donte Jackson, Desmond King, PJ Williams.

S - Not in need in as big of an overhaul, but needs something.  This is again a position that is kinda 'loaded'.  And I have a unique idea here.  Sign someone to be a FA so we can move Fitzpatrick into more of a S/CB hybrid type role.  TARGETS: Jessie Bates, Xavier Woods, Jordan Whitehead, Justin Reed.

So a quick stock here of mixing some big name targets, some value targets, and leaving a few holes as out list of signings:

Marcus Mariota, Marlon Mack, Cedrick Wilson, Cam Robinson, Johnathan Haskins, Jayon Brown, Anthony Walker Jr, Carlton Davis, Jordan Whitehead.

Does that sound like a lot of signings? Sure.  Robinson, Brown, Davis are the 3 that I expect to cost a ton.  Wilson, Haskins, Whitehead are ones that I expect to carry something but not be too expensive.  Mariota, Mack, Walker are ones I expect to be "cheap" compared to the position.

DRAFT:

I'm using PFN's Mock Draft Simulator.  What I'm going to type is kinda a free flow thoughts as I do through the draft.

PICK 16:  I'm up.  Kenyon Green, Andrew Booth Jr, Tyler Linderbaum, Sean Rhyan are all still on the board.  1 OT, 1 OG, 1 CB, 1 OC.  I got 3 trade offers.  The one that's most notable to me is the LVR.  I send 16 and 80, I receive 18 and 49.  I think this is really good value.  I can get a guy I like, and move up 1 full round. 

PICK 18:  I'm up.  I got more offers.  I'm in a position to get a blue chip talent at 18 though so I'm going to pass as my options were to drop to 29, 31, or 39.  I take Tyler Linderbaum OC Iowa. I don't care we took Green last year.  I'm upgrading here.  Green can become a OG or a swing IOL player.

PICK 48: I got no good trade offers here, and there's some talent to be had.  Because of the LVR trade, I have back to back picks here in the 2nd.  Looking at what was done earlier I got options.  Jameson Williams as a WR.  Brandon Smith at LB.  But I'll go Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB TCU.  I know the Big 12 isn't know for defense but this guy has what he'll need for man and zone in the NFL.

PICK 49:  I got 1 trade offer.  I'll take it.  Moving pick 49 while bringing back Pick 91, 129, and Tennessee's 2023 2nd.  That's good value, plus I get back mid round picks that were lost.

PICK 91: Going to my same thought at 49, I got an offer that isn't great, but I get mid-round talent.  I send pick 91 and 177 to NE for picks 93 and 131.  Move back 2 spots with value there and get a more premium pick.

Pick 93: I'm not moving here.  There's a guy I like, who might fly up the boards, but as it stands right now he's here at 93.  I take Thayer Munford OG Ohio State. Dude is massive at 6'6" 320 pounds.  He's a people mover.  And with Dodson there already, this makes for one imposing IOL potential.

PICK 97:  I'm not moving again.  A guy I like is still here.  That would be Darian Kinnard OT Kentucky.  Being All-SEC 3 years in a row is no small feat.  He's most likely a RT, but with Cam Robinson signed as the LT this really solidifies the line.  

PICK 129:  I've spent a ton of resources in the OL so far, 1 on defense.  Time to dip my toes back into the defensive side.  Given I didn't sign any edge depth, I think it's smart to go here.  I'll take Nolan Smith EDGE Georgia, who has all the physical traits you would need, and with Highsmith and Watt being the bookends that allows Smith to take time to develop.

PICK 131: I'm staying on the defensive side, in the front 7.  We need a run stuffer.  I think it would be great to get back to having a heady player in the middle too.  So I look to Edefuan Ulofoshio ILB Washington.  He's great at the POA, takes on blockers, can disengage, and makes solid form tackles.

PICK 210: I think it's time to dive back into the offensive end and go Jerreth Sterns WR Western Kentucky.  He can be a good PR/KR guy, give slot ability, and be a gadget guy when you need it.

PICK 224: Myles Sims CB Georgia Tech

PICK 236: Joey Porter Jr CB Penn State

---------------------------------------

So, here's WAR'S 2022 PITTSBURGH STEELERS: (starters in italics) 

QB - Marcus Mariota, Josh Dobbs, Trace McSorely

RB - Najee Harris, Marlon Mack, Anthony McFarland

FB - Derek Watt

WR - Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, Cedrick Wilson, Ray-Ray McCloud, Jerreth Sterns

TE - Pat Friermuth, Zach Gentry, Kevin Radar

OT - Cam Robinson, Darian Kinnard, Chucks Okorafor

OG - Kevin Dodson, Thayer Munford, Kendrick Green

OC - Tyler Linderbaum, Kendrick Green, JC Hausenaur

IDL - Cam Heyward, Johnathan Haskins, Stephon Tuitt, Isaiahh Loudermilk, Chris Wormley, Isaiah Buggs

EDGE - Sam Highsmith, TJ Watt, Nolan Smith, Taco Charlton

ILB - Jayon Brown, Anthony Walker Jr, Buddy Johnson, Edefuan Ulofoshio, Devin Bush

CB - Carlton Davis, Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, Cameron Sutton, Myles Simms, James Pierre

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jordan Whitehead, Miles Killebrew, Tre Norwood, Joey Porter Jr

P - Pressley Harvin

K - Chris Boswell

LS - Christian Kuntz

• Like 2

I'd be ok with this .

We agree on Mariota , do I think he'll be the answer , no but I'd be interested to see how the offense changes and as a stop gap 

One thing is for sure, is that there will be new faces with the amount of money they have to spend ... Really hope they bring in a CB and Olineman 

What's your thoughts on the big boy Jordan Davis to beef up that Dline? Anlaulu / heyward / tuitt are all getting up there , time for some high pick youth on that Dline

1 minute ago, Cbrunn said:

I'd be ok with this .

We agree on Mariota , do I think he'll be the answer , no but I'd be interested to see how the offense changes and as a stop gap 

One thing is for sure, is that there will be new faces with the amount of money they have to spend ... Really hope they bring in a CB and Olineman 

What's your thoughts on the big boy Jordan Davis to beef up that Dline? Anlaulu / heyward / tuitt are all getting up there , time for some high pick youth on that Dline

If we did a luxury pick (DL) with all the needs we have (OT, OG, CB, QB, ILB) I’d be pissed. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If we did a luxury pick (DL) with all the needs we have (OT, OG, CB, QB, ILB) I’d be pissed. 

I don’t think the DL Is a luxury pick at all with how they’re getting gashed against the run.

Heyward is great but 33...Tuitt is a ? and going into last year of deal. Loudermilk has looked ok overall but too soon to say what he is and Wormley probably gets cut this offseason....that’s not factoring in Alaula coming back from injury at 34 years old with not a lot behind him.

Maybe the last 1/3 of the season some things get figured out going into next year but as of now the trenches need rebuilt badly.

20 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

I'd be ok with this .

I'm all aboard the Davis pick. I want the guy playing next to Cam for a couple seasons and taking this defense forward after watching us run over this last month. I don't see it as a luxury pick. I want to see draft capital and money spent beefing up the trenches on both sides.

9 minutes ago, AFF said:

I don’t think the DL Is a luxury pick at all with how they’re getting gashed against the run.

Heyward is great but 33...Tuitt is a ? and going into last year of deal. Loudermilk has looked ok overall but too soon to say what he is and Wormley probably gets cut this offseason....that’s not factoring in Alaula coming back from injury at 34 years old with not a lot behind him.

Maybe the last 1/3 of the season some things get figured out going into next year but as of now the trenches need rebuilt badly.

FA is actually pretty decent at DL this year so if you are that concerned you can always buy yourself another year with guys like Ogbah, Ogunjobi, Collins, Reed, Thomas, Harris, Turay. So spending that first on that with how bad the offensive line has been would be a bit of a luxury. 

I'm with everyone else I don't think Davis is a luxury at all... The dline needs some talented youth on there 

The oline just had a injection of youth , in theory Green and Moore should get better going into their 2nd season ... Not at all saying they shouldn't address the oline though 

It all depends where they decide to spend the FA money on though 

Big Munford and kinnard fan though

I have a few concerns, but overall good job and I like the thought process. My thought reading the post title was exactly your first sentence LOL!

One thing I'd change is keep Rudolph to compete with Mariota or Trubisky. He's under contract and knows the system, such as it is. I'm not sure about Dobbs or McSorley, but I guess a 3rd string guy who can run a little bit is a good thing.

I'll make a longer reply after I play around with the mock machine myself. 

• Like 1

Here's my draft:

Drafting at 16, no decent trade offers, and I am ignoring that Pickett is on the board since I do not believe he will be there come draft day. Highest ranked OL is Sean Rhyan, OT UCLA. Next is Charles Cross, OT Miss. St. Higher up the board are Andrew Booth, CB Clemson and Jordan Davis, DT Georgia. After watching teams run on the Steelers most of 2021 and with the idea that Alualu retires, I take Davis.

2nd round, Buffalo offers 56 and 87 for 48 and 177. I'm really not happy with anyone on the board, so I take the trade. Then TB offers 60 and 92 for 56 and 210, so I take that one too. I doubt the Steelers make either trade, but I think they need more picks higher in the draft. I always think that :) 

So then at pick 60, I am looking at OL and it is either Trevor Penning, OT N. Iowa, Jarrett Patterson, C ND, Alec Lindstrom, C BC. I'm going with the kid from Notre Dame because I just cannot get the images of Green begin pushed into the backfield out of my mind.

That brings me to pick 80 and I'm torn between Brant Kuithe, TE Utah and Thayer Munford, OG Ohio St. Kuithe is such a great talent, but ultimately the Steelers need better blocking, so I take the guard.

Next up is pick 87, and I need to address the defensive backfield. My options are Leon O'Neil, S TX A&M, Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn, and Tykee Smith, S, GA. I think CB is the bigger need at this time so Pritchett is the pick.

All right, my next pick is 92, and the trades above have given me more options. At this pick, I'm going to take the Safety from Oregon, Verone McKinley.

Then we get to 97, and I'm taking Tyler Allgiere, RB from BYU.

After that, the Steelers don't pick until 225. Frankly at this point, I have no idea. Anyone who makes the roster in the late rounds needs to play ST. So I take highest rated LB on the board Shane Lee, LB Alabama.

Then at 230 I take TE from OK, Austin Stogner.

2022 Roster (Starters not identified)

Offense - 25 -

QB - Mason Rudolph, FA, FA (3)

RB - Najee Harris, Anthony McFarland, FA, rookie (4)

FB - Derek Watt (1)

WR - Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, Ray-Ray McCloud, FA, FA (5)

TE - Pat Friermuth, Zach Gentry, FA/rookie (3)

OT - Chucks Okorafor, Dan Moore Jr., FA, FA (4)

OG - Kevin Dotson, FA, rookie (3)

OC - Kendrick Green, rookie (2)

Defense - 25 -

IDL - Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Isaiahh Loudermilk, Chris Wormley, Isaiah Buggs, rookie (6)

EDGE - Sam Highsmith, TJ Watt, Taco Charlton, FA, rookie (5)

ILB - Devin Bush, Robert Spillane, Buddy Johnson, FA, rookie (5)

CB - Cameron Sutton, James Pierre, FA, rookie (4)

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick, Miles Killebrew, Tre Norwood, Allen, rookie (5)

ST - 3 -

P - Pressley Harvin (1)

K - Chris Boswell (1)

LS - Christian Kuntz (1)

• Like 1

what about ILB Evans from the Titans, any chance that could happen? Agree there are many issues to fix on this team, ben staying around made it worse. ILB though , seems to be hurting badly. Schobert is decent at times, but bush appears to have lost his game. 

DL too, without Tuitt and Alualu, the DL is hurting badly. 

CB too, without Nelson and Haden, that leaves only Sutton as a legit CB

Edmunds isn't good either

Highsmith should be a solid starter but won't get the stats on this unit. 

Chucks should be the back up, let Banner have a try. Banner and Turner on the right side, seems obvious to me anyways

• Like 1

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

Well might not be too early.

No unfortunately you are getting a jumpstart on the inevitable. The Steelers have made a believer of me and not for the good.

Cuts:  Joe Schobert $8mil savings, Zach Banner $5mil savings, Joe Haeg $2.6mil savings, Tyson Alualu (retirement) $2.5mil savings

TOTAL: $15.6mil savings

I would not cut Schobert or Banner.  Both can help this team on their respective sides of the ball with help. I am all for the savings and blowing some things up, but I feel like we need to hold onto some pieces as well. Both of these guys can be used as building blocks , not the foundation, but solid pieces.  I would also try to keep Tyson at a reduced salary. He has been hurt the past few seasons and would be solid as a back-up despite age and his charge does not seem great/high for what he can offer. 

5th year option: Devin Bush - Declined

As reality as Edmonds was this year.  He was headed towards a potential pro bowl before getting hurt. A lot of factors contributing to his lack of playmaking, but the effort and some of the comments have somewhat soured me on Bush. I would like to draft or bring someone else in to put next to Schobert. Treat Bush as they did Dotson this past offseason.

CAP GOING INTO OFFSEASON: $64,827,224 (based on a $219mil cap)

QB - With no Ben, Mason not being the answer, and really nothing else worthwhile will be shopping.  I want to project a trade, but I won't.  So TARGETS: Marcus Mariota, Mitchell Trubisky, Josh Dobbs.  Not a super stellar QB room but you could do a ton worse for a transition period.

I agree that a trade would probably be best to remain competitive and still address other needs. While the big names of A-A-Ron and Russell are probably off the books, I would love to take a flyer on Matt Ryan (Matty Ice) could ideally help this team instantly a la Matt Stafford with the Rams. Matt Ryan has some talent, leadership, and can flourish with weapons. He would be near the top of my QB considerations.  

Josh Dobbs! Really? He is mobile, but not even what Mason is. Sorry, but that is a huge step backwards. I would add Jacoby Brissett to this group of QB's you listed because I believe he is a better version of Mason (mobile game manager who can win with help and won't make a ton of mistakes). I am fascinated with Mariota, but not sure he wouldn't take a step back before going forward. Tribisky is experienced, but has baggage as well. Better back-up than starter in my humble opinion. I would love Ryan, but wouldn't mind Mariota either.

RB - Najee is the only set in stone RB on this for me.  So we need a change of pace back and a backup general back.  TARGETS: Phillip Lindsay, Marlon Mack.  Mack is a great pass catching back who can run it well too, and Lindsay is your change of pace back.

I could live with Ballage and McFarland as back-ups if McFarland gets healthy. Mack would be ideal, but not sure he would want to be a change of pace here or anywhere else. Lindesay is a more experienced McFarland, but may be more costly than we would need to pay. It will be and should be Najee's team as far as the ground game. 

WR - Buh-Bye to both Juju and Washington.  Ray-ray is replaceable.  So I would be looking for about 2 here.  Luckily there's some talent here this year.  TARGETS: Chris Godwin, Christian Kirk, Cedrick Wilson

Claypool and Dionte would be starters. I am not so sure that Ju Ju goes bye bye. I don't think he gets the money that many think especially after being injured and I think he has a very specific role in Pittsburgh. Chase hasn't shown he can be a true 1B and Dionte is somewhat frail at times. Chris Godwin will command some $$$. I have been a fan of Christian Kirk's. He would fit in, but is more of a deep guy like Claypool. If Ju Ju is not resigned I would even consider Mike Williams. He's big and if you are going to spend, he may be the answer and help light a fire under Chase.

OL - Still in need of a total overhaul IMO.  This year didn't get it done.  TARGETS: Cam Robinson, Connor Williams, Bradley Bozeman

I think the OL is a work in progress. I would not blow it up with young rookie players like Green and Moore. Dotson is still a work in progress and while you can't depend on Banner due to health, I would look to draft a young RT and a OG.  I would target a potential starter at RG in the Bears James Daniels or Giants Will Hernandez. Depth and versatility will be the key here as much as the starters. Having those flexible parts that can play solid will go a long way as well. 

IDL - Our starters in Heyward and Tuitt are strong.  I expect Alualu to retire.

Heyward is aging. Tuitt is hurt pretty often. Tyson could be a reasonable back-up despite age.  Depth is the real issue.  A rotational guy is needed and as you stated a run stuffing NT. I caught some flack for pointing this out over the past few seasons of wanting to invest in a solid interior run stuffing NG.

So we need a run stuffing NT and a better rotational backup for when there's an injury.  And I'm not relying on a rookie here.  I think Wormley might be gone along with Buggs anyways so Loudermilk is it for depth.

Loudermilk is the only guy I see returning here. Buggs and Wormley should be upgraded. I agree that they cannot depend on a rookie.  

TARGETS: Emmanuel Ogbah, Solomon Thomas, Johnathan Haskins

I would add Danny Shelton to this group. Regardless of if Tyson retires or not, you have someone who can play NG and is hard to move in the middle. I have been a fan of Thomas and Ogbah. Both would be a nice rotational piece or potential starter for injuries to Tuitt for a game or two.

EDGE - We really just need some depth here.  TARGETS: Isaac Rochell, Jordan Willis, Taco Charleton (retain)

Solid list of back-up types. Still need the health of TJ and continued development of Highsmith. Draft may net a potential developmental depth piece. 

ILB - Now we are really getting into the overhaul area.  If done right, this will basically make Bush expendable and we can send him somewhere for a 6th or something to boost what we have in the draft.  TARGETS: Jayon Brown, Jarrad Davis, Anthony Walker Jr., Reggie Ragland

Jarrad Davis would be a target, but I would stick with Schobert and give Bush another year to turn it around. Not happy with a lot of things with Bush, but he may still be able to reach his potential. An offseason of learning, growing, maturing, healing, and some film study would go a long way. I am a fan of Schobert, so I am for keeping him for at least another year.

CB - Another big overhaul area like LB.  Again my plan involves "de-moting" someone and pushing Sutton back to nickel corner.  TARGETS: Darious Williams, Carlton Davis, Donte Jackson, Desmond King, PJ Williams.

Agreed. I would spend some money here and try to upgrade on the outside.  

S - Not in need in as big of an overhaul, but needs something.  This is again a position that is kinda 'loaded'.  And I have a unique idea here.  Sign someone to be a FA so we can move Fitzpatrick into more of a S/CB hybrid type role.  TARGETS: Jessie Bates, Xavier Woods, Jordan Whitehead, Justin Reed.

Agree with you here as well. Jessie Bates would be my target and teamed with Minkah would give the Steelers a tremendous back end. Allows for great coverage and the Steelers safeties are somewhat interchangeable. Bates and Minkah would be pretty strong. Many of us thought he should have been the pick over Edmonds anyway.

So, here's WAR'S 2022 PITTSBURGH STEELERS: (starters in italics) 

QB - Marcus Mariota, Josh Dobbs, Trace McSorely - - Like Mariota and hate the other two. Add another veteran or keep Mason. Dobbs is mobile, but little else.

RB - Najee Harris, Marlon Mack, Anthony McFarland - -Could live with it, but save some cash and keep Ballage.

FB - Derek Watt - - For the love of baby Jesus use him for something besides special teams.

WR - Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, Cedrick Wilson, Ray-Ray McCloud, Jerreth Sterns - - Would do some things different.

TE - Pat Friermuth, Zach Gentry, Kevin Radar - - I may add a decent piece through the draft. A second stud receiving TE would be nice. OJ Howard or David Njoku would not be bad targets to replace Ebron. we have the $$$.

OT - Cam Robinson, Darian Kinnard, Chucks Okorafor 

OG - Kevin Dodson, Thayer Munford, Kendrick Green

OC - Tyler Linderbaum, Kendrick Green, JC Hausenaur - - Same idea, but some different players. I think Green stays as starting C. He will get better.

IDL - Cam Heyward, Johnathan Haskins, Stephon Tuitt, Isaiahh Loudermilk, Chris Wormley, Isaiah Buggs - - I can't endure another season of Buggs and Wormley.  One of the Davis twin brothers and Danny Shelton.

EDGE - Sam Highsmith, TJ Watt, Nolan Smith, Taco Charlton - - Need a depth piece here.

ILB - Jayon Brown, Anthony Walker Jr, Buddy Johnson, Edefuan Ulofoshio, Devin Bush -  -I think it is Bush and Schobert. Buddy moves up and they add some depth. Bush won't be on the roster as the #5.

CB - Carlton Davis, Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, Cameron Sutton, Myles Simms, James Pierre - - Spend money here $$$

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jordan Whitehead, Miles Killebrew, Tre Norwood, Joey Porter Jr  - - I am trying to sign Jessie Bates and give the Steelers the best back end.

P - Pressley Harvin

K - Chris Boswell

LS - Christian Kuntz

Overall a very good and well thought out post.  I enjoyed reading this and mulling it over.

On 11/30/2021 at 9:32 AM, warfelg said:

Cam Robinson

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

There really are no tackles I would want to pay FA prices to right now that will be available. That can all change (look at last year), but I am not paying any sort of price for Cam Robinson. You have to get to the 18th left tackle in the league before you hit 7 digits instead of 8 on the yearly. Not worth it at all. 

I think our best option in really upgrading Tackle is to go get a rookie high in the draft. Option 2 would be finding that older Flozel Adams style 1-2 year guy (Hi Charles Leno!) and option #3 is resigning Chuks *ducks* as a really cheap stop gap because no ones going out of their way to pay him and at worst he can be a 3rd swing tackle. 

Don't mind Marriota or Trubisky. Not a fan, really, but baring a major opportunity -- Im okay on a one year. It seems thats the style the Steelers/Tomlin want. Out on Dobbs completely though. 

I do love me some Marlon Mack....and I would do literally anything for them to not draft another running back....

Mentioned them in another threat, but Chris Godwin would be a huge (though, unlikely) win. I think Ced Wilson would be a nice fit in the slot. But I would really like to see Allen Robinson come play the Z/X on a rebound type 1 year gig. Not sure if he would come here with an unknown QB situation, but if we did somehow snag a Rodgers/Carr type because of fall out -- That would be my guy. I do think there are a lot of solid, decent contract guys available at this position. I hope we strike. 

The Cowboys are going to help the Steelers improve the Offensive line this offseason. They cant pay everyone and Connor Williams or La'el Collins are most likely on their way out. 

Carlton Davis, JC Jackson, and Donte Jackson are all dudes I would love to see come in and be our #1. 

So I also LOOOOOOOOOVE Justin Reid as a bounce back candidate to come into this group. I actually think we will get Edmunds back too, which is fine for the right deal....but Justin Reid could be that slot/nickel/third safety and that would really excite me. 

I don't have many comments about the draft. I don't know prospects that well and I lose interest with multiple trades. But I will say I would love Tyler Linderbaum. He is an incredible talent. I think it would really depend for me though, how FA works out. If we got a Charles Leno kinda guy at LT and could push drafting it for a year -- great, but if not....I'd be too hard pressed not to go there if I had the opportunity. 

Something I find really interesting about this draft though is the top. Look at the draft order at this stage:

Lions, Jags, Texans, Jets, Jets, Giants, Giants, Panthers, Eagles, Eagles, Falcons, Saints, Vikings, Eagles, Steelers. 

That is incredible and full of opportunity. If the Steelers LOVE a QB... those multi-pick teams are easy targets to move them back and have them stock more and potentially not at an overwhelming cost. Jags and the Jets already took their QB's, the Giants and the Eagles seem comfortable for at least 1 more year with theirs. And in a light class, if the Lions, Texans, Panthers, Falcons/Saints, or anyone interested in trading up to go get a QB -- just pushes more talent down to us or if none of them do, puts the top tier QB's in our lap. This draft is setting up to be nuts. 

Edit: Overall, good work on the offseason and effort in the draft. 

Edited by Dcash4

Only thing I dont like is all the trades.   Not realistic at all.   Nice to hope for but wont happen outside Madden.

I dont necessarily love all the options (Mariota, Cam Robinson, etc...)  but at least they are feasible options.

Ok I played with the draft simulator sitting here waiting for my son to be born.

Obviously in this during FA they put some money into the Oline , at least 1 significant signing 

I really like the McCreary and wright pairing, both those guys are dogs at the CB position and tackle well for the position too

PIT

Jordan Davis

DT Georgia

PIT

Roger McCreary

CB Auburn

PIT

Mykael Wright

CB Oregon

PIT

Rasheed Walker

OT Penn State