Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would say that you have to pencil in Joey Porter Jr for a Steeler pick in the 7th round.  Is he worth drafting?  Not sure but you bet the Steelers will either draft him or sign him as a UDFA for his dad.

Quinton lake too 

Grab joey porter and carnell lakes son in the same draft

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think with a good draft and smart FA signings, we could add a whole lot of juice to our team. Infusion of youth and talent in the secondary and trenches 

I think, even moreso than QB, they should focus on getting the rest of the team where it needs to be in 2022.    If we have to roll with a mediocre stop gap for a year....so be it.    But they need to get the Oline and secondary figured out before this team goes anywhere.    

I wouldnt worry about QB too much in 2022 unless the perfect opportunity is there.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:30 AM, warfelg said:

Write me up for being pissed if we take Davis high as a rotational DL player early on when there will be a blue chip CB or LT available high. 

He's a tremendous run stopper. But after watching him flair versus Alabama pass blocking, I'm inclined to agree.

I think this will be the most interesting off-season in many, many years.
There is significant cap room and significant holes to fill, Ben is gone, etc.

I really believe it all starts with both lines.

Tuitt might not even be back, so the D-line is a massive issue, especially with
Heyward aging. The DB room is in need of a talent injection - and it'll be interesting
to see where they land on Edmunds. Yes, the O-line needs work as well.

We might even see some coaching changes.

Very, very interesting...

In curious too see who will be available at QB this offseason.   We know a few, but I think guys like Kirk Cousins and/or Derek Carr could become available.    Not saying they will, but the Raiders and likely the Vikings will be undergoing major changes, which could lead to one of them being available.   

Its a relatively good year for us to need a QB.   I get the draft isnt strong at QB, but we wouldn't be in position to get an elite prospect anyway.   However, we should have some semi decent stop gap options and a couple decent mid round talents to hold us over while we rebuild the trenches and hopefully our secondary.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 43M said:

In curious too see who will be available at QB this offseason.   We know a few, but I think guys like Kirk Cousins and/or Derek Carr could become available.    Not saying they will, but the Raiders and likely the Vikings will be undergoing major changes, which could lead to one of them being available.   

Its a relatively good year for us to need a QB.   I get the draft isnt strong at QB, but we wouldn't be in position to get an elite prospect anyway.   However, we should have some semi decent stop gap options and a couple decent mid round talents to hold us over while we rebuild the trenches and hopefully our secondary.

I agree with this. I've been baffled by people saying its a bad yr to get a QB. maybe for teams like the Lions and texans who won't land a great QB prospect with a top 3 pick, but for teams like the steelers and saints this is a potentially good yr for us. might see THREE elite QBs be available through trade and several decent QB managers as a plan B. I'm going to be sick if we go into the 2022 season with the mason vs haskins plan, that's settling for bottom 3 QB play. it would be a spit in the face to guys like Watt, heyward, our young offensive weapons etc...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, August4th said:

I agree with this. I've been baffled by people saying its a bad yr to get a QB. maybe for teams like the Lions and texans who won't land a great QB prospect with a top 3 pick, but for teams like the steelers and saints this is a potentially good yr for us. might see THREE elite QBs be available through trade and several decent QB managers as a plan B. I'm going to be sick if we go into the 2022 season with the mason vs haskins plan, that's settling for bottom 3 QB play. it would be a spit in the face to guys like Watt, heyward, our young offensive weapons etc...

I can assure you, they wont go into next offseason with only Mason and Haskins.    There is literally no chance of that happening.   

I am willing to bet we will bring in a veteran stop gap AT LEAST, and MAYBE, depending how the draft falls, a project QB in the 3rd or 4th round.

My wish list. Justin Reid(Texans) or Jesse Bates(Bengals). With Fitzpatrick, we could have an elite/great Safety duo that can cover. Downside, tackle isn’t any of their strongest points. Still an upgrade over Edmunds. 

FA is a little overwhelming in a lot of positions of need