Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

8 hours ago, AFF said:

With Schobert being easily cut and save $8 mill against the cap with little dead $$$ for 2022...I’m expecting either a high pick at ILB or at least a solid FA brought in to upgrade the unit.

No great options I see at ILB.   Nothing that will really make a huge impact, anyway.

They should focus primarily on DLine and secondary on defense.    Sign a mid tier stop gap like Christian Kirksey and see what Buddy Johnson has to offer.    Then, if needed, make ILB a priority in 2023.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

No great options I see at ILB.   Nothing that will really make a huge impact, anyway.

They should focus primarily on DLine and secondary on defense.    Sign a mid tier stop gap like Christian Kirksey and see what Buddy Johnson has to offer.    Then, if needed, make ILB a priority in 2023.

Just a hunch with how much the Steelers continue to invest into the position...not saying you’re wrong(haven’t looked into draft or FA at that spot).

3 hours ago, AFF said:

Just a hunch with how much the Steelers continue to invest into the position...not saying you’re wrong(haven’t looked into draft or FA at that spot).

I dont disagree with your logic, but a) who is available that would really make a big impact at ILB and b) we have a ton of holes to fill....even moreso than usual.

I wont pretend to know the ILBs in this years class, but the FA's are rough.   Schobert will definitely be cut and we will need a new ILB next to Bush, but there arent really any significant upgrades over Schobert in free agency that I see.      I wouldnt dismiss drafting an ILB early, but think that would be a mistake given have many holes we have....but if we got a good player at ILB, I wouldnt complain.

Cunningham would be a good option. 

But they just spent a 3rd or 4th on buddy Johnson, don't think they're giving up on him, he was drafted to be the guy next to bush 

I believe the schobert trade was a panic move cause of Vince retiring suddenly 

Anyone know much about CB Kyler Gordon from Washington? Redshirt junior, with good size and is supposed to be a freak athlete. From what I read is he's supposed to be a big riser if he declares.

20 hours ago, 43M said:

Buddy was a late 4th comp pick.  I think he was a Spillane replacement over anything else. I'd love for him to be more but that is my expectation of basically 5th round picks. 

Looks like we passed on Cunningham cuz titans got him. Missed opportunity imo

Edited by Big Snack

Some interesting stats posted in the NFL draft thread ... This would be a crazy 1st 3 rounds to solidify the oline for years 

Cross - Johnson - green - Dodson - Moore

*Zion Johnson Boston College OG: "He allowed just one sack in 2,288 career snaps with the Eagles and had just four blown blocks in 756 snaps this season. "

*Charles Cross Miss State OT:  "Remarkably, he allowed just five pressures and one sack in 682 pass blocks, which were second most in the FBS, behind only teammate LaQuinston Sharp's 689."

what's your take on the OG class? Anyone worth taking?

OG is an undervalued position in any draft so there are plenty.  Any in the 1st round?  I would be stunned if more than 2 were taken in the 1st mainly because the CB, EDGE and Ot classes are pretty damm good.  Kennard ( KT) and Green Texas A&M will be the 2 best guards.  Players like Munford ( Ohio St.) and Z. Johnson (Boston College ) should go in the 2nd but may fall further than you would thing because of the EDGe and CB classes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What are people's thoughts on JuJu next year?

I wouldn’t...the Steelers need another guy that can separate.

The Steelers have enough #2 WRs in Johnson and maybe Claypool(Johnsonis close to a WR1 but just not quite there).

Who knows though...there’s nothing behind DJ and Chase so it’s possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What are people's thoughts on JuJu next year?

He's young and talented, but he's not going to get top WR offers from other teams. Steelers also likely deciding DJ's numbers for an extension. It'd be nice to bring JuJu back. Should be interesting.

Edited by cjfollett
  • Like 1

I'd be willing to bet we rebuild at ILB.

I think D.Bush gets a chance obviously to improve.
I think Schobert is gone. 
I think B.Johnson gets a chance to compete.
I think we draft another and sign one in FA.

I personally think we skip drafting a QB this year.

I think there will be an emphasis on both sides of trench warfare and speed
at skill positions. I'd be surprised if we don't land one big FA on the OL and
draft two more.

The ILB situation hasn't been right since Shazier got hurt. At least not for today's NFL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mwalker said:

I'd be willing to bet we rebuild at ILB.

I think D.Bush gets a chance obviously to improve.
I think Schobert is gone. 
I think B.Johnson gets a chance to compete.
I think we draft another and sign one in FA.

I personally think we skip drafting a QB this year.

I think there will be an emphasis on both sides of trench warfare and speed
at skill positions. I'd be surprised if we don't land one big FA on the OL and
draft two more.

Agreed with most of this.

I think OLine and secondary will be the focus.

I dont think skill positions will be a major focus.   Look for speedy WR and decent backup RB.

QB....maybe a flier on a mid round guy and then a vet FA.

The ILB situation hasn't been right since Shazier got hurt. At least not for today's NFL.

It was okay when we had Vince next to Devin, plus a great run defender in Alualu.

Bush isnt a good standalone player, though.  He needs a bit of help to look decent.

I think Alualu plays another year.    Not much to get excited about at ILB.   I think we get one but I dont see it being a priority until maybe 2023.

8 hours ago, 43M said:

Agreed with most of this.

I think OLine and secondary will be the focus.

I dont think skill positions will be a major focus.   Look for speedy WR and decent backup RB.

QB....maybe a flier on a mid round guy and then a vet FA.

It was okay when we had Vince next to Devin, plus a great run defender in Alualu.

Bush isnt a good standalone player, though.  He needs a bit of help to look decent.

I think Alualu plays another year.    Not much to get excited about at ILB.   I think we get one but I dont see it being a priority until maybe 2023.

I can't disagree. I do think other than OL, DL and CB...ILB is next in our needs.
When I keep doing my own mocks, I get two OL, one DL and either a ILB or CB in our first four picks.
Will be our most fascinating off-season in ages.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mwalker said:

When I keep doing my own mocks, I get two OL, one DL and either a ILB or CB in our first four picks.

Certainly not out of the question, but I think free agency and draft value will determine that.  

More often than not, the Steelers take a position most people dont expect early on.   However, given where we are, the only positions Id be shocked if we went early are the positions we drafted early last year....RB and TE.

Depending what happens in free agency, WR wouldnt really shock me in round 2 or 3, especially if its someone they feel can stretch the field.

Positions like QB and ILB IMO will take a slight backseat until 2023, if for no other reason than its not a good year to really address either position.    Not that I couldn't see us drafting one early, but I see us getting mid range veteran stop gaps at those positions and MAYBE a mid round pick at one of them.

Safety is another position we may need to dip into somewhere.   They may try to bring Edmunds back cheap for a year or two.   If not, oh well.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1