Week 13 GDT - Seattle Seahawks vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Three game win streak?? Totally forgot what that felt like! We all knew it was going to be a tough game but the team pulled through at home after a slow start which was good to see. 

Now onto our arch nemesis and a team that has completely owned us since 2012. Not only that, we are playing at a place where we have only won at ONCE since 2012, and twice since 2011. Fair to say the game will be tough regardless of how mediocre the Seahawks look at the present moment.

Offensively, Deebo has been by far the best player and the biggest playmaker all season. He's just a gamechanger with the ball in his hands and takes the offense to another level. Well, he's not playing this week so Shanny will need to call his best game of the season. Even without Deebo we have plenty of weapons with Aiyuk, Kittle, Mitchell etc. But one issue against Seattle has been our run game has not gotten going. The Seahawks know how to defend this offense and know exactly where Jimmy likes throwing the ball to. Not only that, but there is a big misconception going around that the Seahawks have a bad defense but they have played very solid since the Rams game. They have allowed 15.4 PPG in the last five games and while they allow teams to move the ball on them, they hold very well in the RZ. We have been great in that area converting on over 75% TDs so something will have to give. Aiyuk and Kittle are going to need around 10 targets each and they should be able to get free and make some plays. Jimmy just has to protect the ball and will need to move the safeties with pump fakes. I'm sure Shanny will continue trying to ride Mitchell but I fear if he does not get going early in the game, then he may put it on Jimmy's arm and we know that could go either way lol. 

Defensively, just have to continue shutting down the run and then prevent the big plays. Metcalf was very frustrated with the lack of targets so I have a feeling that Wilson will go to him early and often. I really hope Ford is able to go as our pass rush will have to play much better than it played last week. It just cannot be Bosa or bust. Ford will improve our interior rush by just forcing Wilson to step up in the pocket. Not having Warner hurts playing in such a hostile environment but I'm more so worried about our corners holding up against their WRs. I don't care how poorly Wilson has looked since coming back from his injury, you just know he will make his fair share of plays on Sunday...He always does against us! 

I'm expecting a tight game where it will come down to Jimmy leading the team to a late score to ice the game. 

SF 23

SEA 20 

• Like 1

I think we win, because we're beginning to be galvanized as a team, yet we have no reason to feel like we've made it, just yet. We have much more to prove than we have proven yet.

And on the other end, I don't think the Seahawks are a team. They backed into this season as much as I've seen any teams do. Their dysfunction flew under the radar just because Aaron Rodgers took most of the attention in training camp, but Russell already has a foot out the door. The only reason they won 3 games at all is all the talent they have on offense, and the reason they beat us is we were a dumpster fire earlier in the year, on the same level they are now. Sure, we've risen from that fire, so perhaps they can. But honestly, I don't believe they are. 

If we lose, it will be because we'll play down to their level and let them stay in the game longer than they should, then Russell strikes because he can. 

• Like 2

49ers DVOA rankings through 11 games:

Overall - 7

Offense - 3

Defense - 10

Even when the team was 3-5, they were ranked highly in terms of the DVOA rankings which kind of gave hope that this team could turn it around. 

Now both the offense and defense gets tested with Deebo/Warner being out. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Look at how smooth and explosive Aiyuk runs this route. Got damn that man is good.

There was another throw Jimmy made to Aiyuk. I want to see from an RPO? Jimmy threw it a bit across his body and all I could think of was oh boy INT but Aiyuk was so open that one of us could of made that play.

I’m curious do we have any rbs that we could possibly bring in? I don’t like our depth especially with the possibility of putting Sermon on IR. Mitchell has been banged up this year and Deebo will be out, so that only leaves us with Wilson. Hasty is still injured as well. 😅 knowing how we are a run first team, I’m shocked we haven’t brought anyone. Is Gallman still a FA, I would imagine he still knows the playbook 

Taken from elsewhere:

Jimmy G retains his recent hold as the best performing QB in the league. Over the last 5 weeks: 1st in PFF grade (84.6, 2nd is 77.7), ANY/A (8.46, 2nd is 8.06), & passer rating (108.8, 2nd is 105.1)

2nd in PFF is Dak with Mac (77.4) right behind him

2nd in ANY/A is Rodgers with Kirk (7.79) right behind him

2nd in passer rating is Mac with Kirk (105.0) right behind him

And since the argument against Jimmy, especially efficiency numbers is always volume and not throwing deep,

He's 6th in ADoT (avg depth of target) across the whole league in that span.

He's 16th in attempts (135) in that timespan (though some QBs had byes) just over Mac Jones and tied with Matt Ryan, so nothing unreasonably low.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I’m curious do we have any rbs that we could possibly bring in? I don’t like our depth especially with the possibility of putting Sermon on IR. Mitchell has been banged up this year and Deebo will be out, so that only leaves us with Wilson. Hasty is still injured as well. 😅 knowing how we are a run first team, I’m shocked we haven’t brought anyone. Is Gallman still a FA, I would imagine he still knows the playbook 

I think Gallman is with the falcons. Any RBs on PS? 

4 hours ago, StevenK said:

Franky G?

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Won’t ever happen, but I’d love it for nostalgic reasons and for the attitude/leadership he’d bring.

Yea, I know it wont ever happen but.... it would be nice.  He is also someone who has had some experience beating the seahawks as a 49er.  But... wont happen.

So it's really frustrating me how people keep referencing the Seahawks allowing the most yards per drive or allowing the most first downs etc...THEY DO NOT ALLOW POINTS PERIOD! Their scheme is to take away the big play and force you into long drives and they have held up very well in the RZ. Every team moves the ball on them yet they are only allowing 15.4 PPG in the last five games. How is that possible if they are such a poor defense? Make it make sense! 

20 hours ago, StevenK said:

What are the chances we try Trent Cannon out of desperation and he looks like a superstar, like Mostert did?

But honestly, I think the 1-2 punch of Wilson/Mitchell (not in that order, it took me a second to remember Elijah's name) will carry as far as we can go. As long as they're not injured at the same time, either one or both of them will carry the load. And Hasty is coming back eventually, as underwhelming as he's been. But back when he was healthy, Kyle's playcalling was underwhelming, so maybe he'll be much more valuable going forward.

• Like 1