The Championship Week Thread! (Because I forgot, and the Coaching Carousel consumed me)

MikeT14

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I think you're missing the entirety of my post, which is probably my fault for being so quick to the draw.  Right now, Alabama is going to be #1.  They have the best resume aside from maybe Michigan.  But with how soundly Alabama beat Georgia, they're going to leapfrog Michigan.  Michigan isn't going to go anywhere but 2, and they're not moving down either.  They'll be #2.  A win over Iowa isn't going to change anyone's opinion of Michigan.  They're going to ride the high from beat Ohio State, and that's keeping them at #2.  So the question is who is #3.  Do you go with Cincinnati who is undefeated but has looked rather lackluster for a large chunk of the games down the stretch OR do you take the team who lost to what was the #3 ranked team and was viewed as a top 2 team for pretty much the entire year?  The answer is pretty clear to me.  The committee has shown that they have no issues with a single loss. 

And I completely agree with all of this. Like I said, I had read, incorrectly, as you agreeing that part of the reason was to keep Cincy away from the title game. That was all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

And I completely agree with all of this. Like I said, I had read, incorrectly, as you agreeing that part of the reason was to keep Cincy away from the title game. That was all. 

It has really nothing to do with keeping Cincinnati away from the title game.  But you can't deny that Cincinnati being in the title game is probably the least valuable team of the four that are currently projected in the playoffs.  And the committee probably doesn't want/need a rematch of Georgia and Alabama in the semi-finals either.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

They didn't look "horrible" though. They looked like they didn't belong if they landed a 2nd loss and that's the part you left out of your initial response. 

Left out from what. I wasn't referencing any particular post or person. Just the general agreement amongst pretty much everyone. No one thought they have looked good the season. Here or any other place where discussion occurs. The point of my post was how prevailing wisdom was they weren't that good this year and then after one game they were this team that would be matched to Cincy in part to keep them from the final. Whether they had the second loss or not was relevant to whether they would make it sure, it wasn't relevant to whether they have looked like a good team this year (relatively)

4 minutes ago, pf9 said:

If Ferentz is fired for losing tonight, I could see Bronco Mendenhall as replacement

There is a 0.0% chance Ferentz is fired, and even if it did happen, there's a 0.0% chance the guy who just stepped away from coaching for personal life reasons would replace him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

There is a 0.0% chance Ferentz is fired, and even if it did happen, there's a 0.0% chance the guy who just stepped away from coaching for personal life reasons would replace him.

I also mentioned Shawn Clark of App State in another post.

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Left out from what. I wasn't referencing any particular post or person. Just the general agreement amongst pretty much everyone. No one thought they have looked good the season. Here or any other place where discussion occurs. The point of my post was how prevailing wisdom was they weren't that good this year and then after one game they were this team that would be matched to Cincy in part to keep them from the final. Whether they had the second loss or not was relevant to whether they would make it sure, it wasn't relevant to whether they have looked like a good team this year (relatively)

What? Your first line was "coming into this game everyone was, and rightfully so, saying how bad Alabama looked and didn't deserve to be in the playoffs."

Nobody here, whatsoever, made that argument. The argument was always 2 loss Bama. That's my point. You're taking half the argument and applying it without the context that was discussed prior.

It's whatever. No need to go back and forth.

Edited by beekay414

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It has really nothing to do with keeping Cincinnati away from the title game.  But you can't deny that Cincinnati being in the title game is probably the least valuable team of the four that are currently projected in the playoffs.  And the committee probably doesn't want/need a rematch of Georgia and Alabama in the semi-finals either.

I agree it won't factor, that was what I was getting at, though it was a misread of your post at least. I do agree they are less valuable but I think to some extent we overrate that in college football. Remeber that the NCAA doesn't make much money from the bowl games. The bowl games themselves do. It is March Madness where they make the money because they are the ones with the television rights to sell, rather than the bowls themselves. 

They definitely won't do a rematch in the semis. Completely agree. But if we are thinking about their wishes I think it would be Bama, UM to have more geographical reach, rather then and SEC/SEC battle. 

15 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I think Ferentz needs a win tonight to save his job.

14 minutes ago, pf9 said:

If Ferentz is fired for losing tonight, I could see Bronco Mendenhall as replacement

Your takes never cease to amaze me with how outlandish they are. Ferentz isn't getting fired. And Mendenhall is going to be leading a Mormon Mission, not coaching football. But hey, maybe they can get Jim Tressel and form the Union of College Football and march on those evil Southerner football programs.

I also think we are "worrying" to much about seeding. I think Bama and UM are 1 and 2 in some order, which seems pretty clear. Then UGA and Cincy aren't going be ranked based on each other. It will be completly matchup based. They will match Cincy to Bama and UGA to Michigan. If Michigan stays ahead of Bama then UGA will be 4 and Cincy 3 for that reason alone and vice versa.

• Like 1