Home sick mock draft

Louis Friend

I'm off work, home sick and bored in the house. So I decided to do a quick mock draft. Won't get into much detail. Just don't have the energy and it's still early.

Cuts:

Halapoulivaati Vaitai, RG Dead cap hit of only $4.2 Million if cut. Saves $4.2 Million in capspace.

Trey Flowers, EDGE Dead cap hit of $12.853 Million if cut. Saves Almost $10 Million in capspace. 

Re-Sign:

UFA Jason Cabinda FB

UFA Evan Brown C

UFA Charles Harris EDGE

UFA Jalen Reeves-Maybin ILB

UFA Tracy Walker S

ERFA Godwin Igwebuike S/RB/KR/PR

UFA Josh Reynolds WR? I don't know if Reynolds would want to return, but considering the overhaul at WR, keeping him around to teach the young guys might be worth throwing a two year contract at. 

Draft:

1. Aidan Hutchinson EDGE, Michigan My pick between Hutch and KT5.

23. Kenny Pickett QB, Pittsburgh Corrall, Howell and Ridder were off the board. I picked Pickett over Willis.

33. Jameson Williams WR, Alabama Olave, Wilson, London, Burks, and Dotson were already off the board.

65. Christian Harris LB, Alabama A few players I was deciding between here, I almost picked S Brandon Joseph from Northwestern but picked Harris.

98. Justyn Ross WR, Clemson I was actually looking at some of the OL here but decided to double down at WR, which is a bigger need IMO, when Ross was still sitting there. 

143. Bubba Bolden S, Miami Came down to Bolden or Smoke Monday with this pick for me. I chose the more athletic player and the better tackler in an open field. 

176. Charlie Kolar TE, Iowa State Kolar is limited in his speed, but makes up for it in sheer determination. He is an aggressive catcher that needs to be consistent in his blocking. 

180. Jack Sanborn LB, Wisconsin A linebacker that knows how to and wants to tackle. Something we lack. He doesn't make explosive plays, but he makes the correct ones. 

218. Tyreke Smith EDGE, Ohio State A guy who has lots of tools but lacks consistency. If he was consistent, he'd be lone gone before this pick. 

237. Joseph Ngata WR, Clemson Hard to gauge Clemson WRs this season with all the injuries. For him to be around this late, you have to take him and see what happens. 

249. Steven Gilmore CB, Marshall Not physically gifted, but should make a nice NB and STer. 

Free Agency:

Backup OT to put behind Decker/Sewell

Starting RG

Wide Receiver if Reynolds is not re-signed

Backup DE/DT

ILB not named Alex Aznzalone

Safety, possibly two if Walker is not re-signed

2022 Detroit Lions

Offense: 24

QB: Jared Goff/Kenny Pickett

FB: Jason Cabinda

RB: D'Andre Swift/Jamaal Williams/Jermar Jefferson/Godwin Igwebuike

WR: Jameson Williams/Quintez Cephus

TE: T.J. Hockenson/Charlie Kolar/Hunter Bryant

LT: Taylor Decker/Free Agent?

LG: Jonah Jackson/Logan Stenberg

OC: Frank Ragnow/Evan Brown

RG: Free Agent?/Logan Stenberg

RT: Penei Sewell/Free Agent?

SLOT: Amon-Ra St. Brown

WR: Justyn Ross/Josh Reynolds?/Joseph Ngata

Defense: 26

DE: Michael Brockers/Free Agent?

NT: Alim McNeill/John Penisini

DE: Levi Onwuzurike/Romeo Okwara

OLB: Aidan Hutchinson/Julian Okwara

ILB: Jalen Reeves-Maybin/Christian Harris

ILB: Derrick Barnes/Free Agent?/Jack Sanborn

OLB: Romeo Okwara/Charles Harris/Tyreke Smith

CB: Jeff Okudah/Ifeatu Melifonwu/A.J. Parker

FS: Tracy Walker/Free Agent?

SS: Bubba Bolden/Will Harris

CB: Amani Oruwariye/Jerry Jacobs/Steven Gilmore

Special Teams: 3

K: Austin Seibert

P: Jack Fox

LS: Scott Daly

PR: Amon-Ra St. Brown

KR: Godwin Igwebuike

I don't like the idea of tripling up on WR as we still have Cephus and ARSB in the mix as guys who could be pretty decent WR4-WR5's with some upside as a WR2 or WR3. 

I don't mind adding two guys including Ross who has upside. 

Overall, this is tough to complain about. Good job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I wasn't trying to triple up on WR, that's just how my board fell late in the draft and I couldn't pass up Ngata in the 7th round. I really wanted to pick up an OL somewhere but there were better players at every pick. 

I would just forget Reynolds at that point.  I'd rather have younger WRs and that group could be good in a year or two.  Much better than what we have now.  

Overall I like it.  Not many complaints although I still don't love QB in the first.  I'd probably rather take Willis based on upside.  He has a higher ceiling IMO even though he has a lower floor.  I'd still be ok running with Goff and using that pick on a better LB/S/CB at that point.  

I kind of like it although I always beat the drum of defense and hog mollies.  I think you brought in a bunch of talent and if you went BPA there is definitely worse ways this can go.

On Pickett, I like him and I don't. I think at worse he will be a backup qb.  At best, a decent game manager. So is he worth the 23rd pick? Not sure, that's where I may have went bpa at defense, but I can definitely understand he pick.

Good job.