Week 13 2021 - GDT - Cowboys (7-4) @ Saints (5-6)

Mid Iowa

17 minutes ago, Raves said:

Yeah I would stick with Winston myself and look to actually get a WR across from MT or maybe look for a top tier OT to replace Armstead, especially since even with him not being on the roster he'd have a 13 mil dead cap hit.

In regards to this past years draft class, I still think Fields had the higher upside, especially in an offense like the Saints, but Mac Jones was definitely the better out of the box QB.

I still think Mac has the higher upside as well. I can't wait to see what he does with some legit WR weapons around him in the future. Fields definitely has him from a "physical standpoint", but Mac's accuracy/touch/anticipation, ability to process reads quickly, and navigate within the pocket could make him a top level QB for the next 10-15 years. Hope Winston can be our guy going forward otherwise Mac is certainly going to feel like "the one that got away" for quite some time especially with the reports that we were looking to trade up for him, but may have been a bit too conservative with the attempt.

Some more thoughts I had about this game. I'm real annoyed that Hill busted up his finger because on some of his misses I couldn't tell how much was his normal accuracy issues and how much was the finger. We know he's not an accurate QB, but there's conflating factors that make it tough to get a read.

Two throws: First complete to Juwan Johnson . Look at how good this catch was. This should've been a Taysom Hill highlight + a routine catch and run but instead it's a JJ highlight. This is pre-finger injury. I think he went 4/4 on the opening drive (with 2 screens?) but look at the first completion to Smith -- way better catch than throw. Reminds me of what I've seen from Taylor Heinicke this year.

Second, the incomplete redzone pass to Tre'quan Smith (no video for this one, sadly). Smith was wide open for a rote touchdown but not only was the throw late (he is an inexperienced QB after all) but the throw didn't lead Smith whatsoever, who had to stop running, and the defender broke up the pass. This one was bad enough that I just can't chalk it up to the finger injury alone. 

There were drives where Hill showed the dynamic running ability that I really like but the Saints never came away with points on those drives. Combination of inexperience and bad decision making. One of the biggest plays was the Micah Parsons sack on 3rd and 2 with the Saints around the Cowboys 30ish. Goes down in the stat sheet as just a sack, but it effectively took them out of field goal range AND Payton couldn't even go for it on 4th down (and you just know he would have). As far as the interceptions, the first one I can live with and the other 3 were all at the end of the game in 4th quarter comeback mode -- and most were egregious throws and/or decisions. Two takeaways:

1) Payton knows to reign in Hill's volatile play when they can keep the game under control. At least it's good to know that Hill is capable of not doing incredibly stupid things when the plan calls for being a game manager.

2) As soon as the game script get's out of control (2+ possession deficit, not much time remaining), I don't see in Hill a guy that can engineer a comeback. To be fair, I don't see that in a lot of backup QBs either. The Dallas O really dared the Saints to stage a comeback and we couldn't with ample opportunity. Obviously the offensive line is a mess and there's basically nothing to work with at the skill positions, but if you're gonna force something, make it more respectable than the Diggs interception, or the defensive lineman pick 6.

I like Hill a lot as the backup QB as controversial as that is. I won't get into finances because I won't pretend to know a single thing about the Enron-like accounting that goes on in NFL circles, but he undeniably adds value to the team. Guess we won't get to see any development in these last few games from an accuracy standpoint, but hopefully we still can see some progress on the decision making front, and his comfort-level playing full time QB.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:07 AM, tyler735 said:

Roll with Winston.  Last year as I mentioned repeatedly throughout the draft process on here, Mac Jones would have been perfect to trade up for and is clearly showing why this season. Easily would have been worth the draft compensation to trade up for him. He's going to be a good one for years to come. Unfortunately I just don't see any QB's worth drafting that high in this draft.

I must say the more I see of Kenny Pickett the more I'd be okay with drafting him. He's not without his flaws, but there's also some really nice traits to work with. So I suppose I'd be happy with either Pickett or Winston at QB next year for us. 

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I must say the more I see of Kenny Pickett the more I'd be okay with drafting him. He's not without his flaws, but there's also some really nice traits to work with. So I suppose I'd be happy with either Pickett or Winston at QB next year for us. 

What do you think's going on with Ian Book?

5 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

What do you think's going on with Ian Book?

He might just not be good enough to hang in the NFL. Way too soon to tell what we have unfortunately. 

A 4th round QB is gonna have some pretty serious questions marks to his game, maybe Books question marks were answered with a resounding “no” lol

As much as id love to see him out there for better or worse, I understand Payton not being willing to concede the season just yet.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 8:33 AM, MookieMonstah said:

Taysom certainly wasn't great throwing the ball, but our schedule is super easy the rest of the way outside of TB. Taysoms legs are an absolute weapon, and I don't think he'll have a game passing like this again...Especially when he isn't throwing with a broken finger. I've been accused of being a homer before, but I think we finish 4-1 and end up in the last spot for the playoffs.

Taysom had the defense absolutely frustrated yesterday, and then he topped it off with that 44 yard TD run. I can't believe how fast he is, especially for a QB.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Taysom had the defense absolutely frustrated yesterday, and then he topped it off with that 44 yard TD run. I can't believe how fast he is, especially for a QB.

Yeah you have to use him like Lamar. His legs open up the passing game. Once teams start going cover 1, you can exploit them with the pass. 

• Like 1