Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

All of this arguing, drama, and projecting over the QB is all because Kyle Shanahan didn't draft Patrick Mahomes like he was supposed in 2017. 

We could be and should be a dynasty with this roster. instead we got nothing but sob stories and what ifs. 

Makes you wonder how in the world the Chiefs have won only 1 superbowl in 4 years with Mahomes when the 49ers have been at the door step twice with the worst performing post-season QB in NFL history.  

Edited by Herodreamer79

2 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Makes you wonder how in the world the Chiefs have won only 1 superbowl in 4 years with Mahomes when the 49ers have been at the door step twice with the worst performing post-season QB in NFL history.  

I mean, they have been to the superbowl one other time and on the doorstep the 2 other times. 

Winning super bowls is hard and in single game eliminations, there's some variance. 

Year one of Mahomes starting, Dee Ford gets called for a penalty and Mahomes never sees the ball in overtime. 

Year 3 of mahomes starting, the offensive line was simply in shambles by the end of the season because of the injuries. 

Brady is an outlier of success, not the expectation. Brees, Rodgers, Wilson...one super bowl a piece. Ben has 2. Manning has 2, but if we are being honest, only deserves one (Peyton, that is)

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 7:17 AM, GW21 said:

Kap also didn't develop into a megastar like Mahomes. That first year he was outstanding, but it seems like he never learned to read a defense or throw the ball with touch and the league kind of figured him out. I just don't think Kap was worth asking about honestly. 

Kaep didn't care about improving. He thought he was good enough. He even said he had no desire to work on his mechanics or improve his ability to read defenses. didn't care. 

Kaep being "figured out" is a bit of a false narrative. Yes, Roman's system was a one-trick pony. but remember Baalke and Harbaugh started a Holy War following the 2013 season. the 49ers core talent was getting old. the team was rapidly falling apart around kaep. years of terrible drafting left them unable to fill the holes vacated by the mass exodus of retiring veterans. he was still a very good QB

this was proven the following year in 2016 in Chip Kelly's putrid offense Kaep posted a 90 QB rating... 16 TD and just 4 INTs in 12 games, throwing to guys named Celek, Kerley, and Patton. 

perspective... in 2017 the 49ers started 1-10 and lost 5 games by a margin of 3 points or less with CJ Beathard and Brian Hoyer throwing 8 TDs and 10 INTs. Then Jimmy Garoppolo shows up and wins 5 straight games vs Trubisky, Yates, Mariota, Bortles, and Mannion to get paid. (and yes,Kaep is a better QB than Jimmy. all day, every day, and twice on sunday)

imagine if the 49ers had just kept Kaepernick in 2017 and got similar play out of him that they got in 2016... but in Shanahan's offense and for a whole season. 

That 2017 49ers team is probably a 10-6 playoff team.  

Edited by Herodreamer79

2 hours ago, N4L said:

That was sooo good. 

It is funny because it is true. I said earlier that Silver basically regurgitated other beat writer reports and sensationalized them for clicks. 

Calling him Silver medal because he gets things second is hilarious for that reason. 

Allbright is the man. 

Loved it. Happy to hear him confirm what I've always thought about Silver. 

They brought up some really good points about the oline.. we've seen Kyle work miracles before, and so long as Trent, Juice, and Kittle are out there we are in good shape

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

All of this arguing, drama, and projecting over the QB is all because Kyle Shanahan didn't draft Patrick Mahomes like he was supposed in 2017. 

We could be and should be a dynasty with this roster. instead we got nothing but sob stories and what ifs. 

I'm not great at hypotheticals, but by my estimations, Mahomes to the 49ers leads to Alien attacks at least 63.785% of the time.  So we may have won a Lombardi, but the human race dodged a bullet.  

ADAMQ:

Loved it. Happy to hear him confirm what I've always thought about Silver. 

They brought up some really good points about the o-line.. we've seen Kyle work miracles before, and so long as Trent, Juice, and Kittle are out there we are in good shape

In Silver's defense on this one, my initial gut reaction felt like a last minute hedge based on uncertainty.  It felt like everyone chickened out and decided to go with plan B.  After a few days I warmed up to the idea.  I think Lance will play well enough to keep the wolves at bay, at least the ones that matter.  

I also don't have "sources" and I don't act like I know other people's intentions.  I usually just guess that they will do what is best for themselves.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
more stuff
  • Like 1

I think "Stats" Guerrera is sensationalizing a bit. (like he always does, which is why i muted him on Twitter... he's annoying AF)

Shanahan said Trey would have been the 7th captain but chose to have only 6.

This was clearly Kyle's choice to omit Trey as a captain.

Trey's performance on the field hasn't separated him from Jimmy - not in the eyes of a lot of the fans and probably not in the eyes of many of the core vets in the locker room (many of whom have serious jimmy worship and probably have Beathard/Mullens/Hoyer PTSD and are scared to death that without their jimmy jesus the team will tank into the abyss again). 

Shanahan can't make Trey a Captain until guys like Kittle and Deebo and Juice and McGlinchey who fawn over Jimmy every chance they get are convinced Trey can take them where they want to go... 

Edited by Herodreamer79

Woof LOL 

"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all."

Martz criticized Lance's throwing motion, his decision-making ... and his running ability -- adding that has no idea "what [Lance] is."

"He looked like a fullback stumbling around, trying to run the ball to me," Martz said.

"He's not particularly a good guy running with the football -- and based on what I saw today, I mean, he missed two guys completely by themselves."

15 hours ago, adamq said:

Wonder what Martz was saying about Josh Allen the first 2 seasons of his career 

I mean I get that aspect. And I did have a similar thought when we drafted Lance. But watching him through his first 3 games now, one thing that has stuck out to me initially is him being a running threat has been overhyped.

I watched the game with a great friend of mine who is a die-hard Bears fan. Also in attendance was a Eagles fan, a Raiders fan, a Saints fan, a Rams fan and a Ravens fan. And we all noticed & mentioned the same thing...he looks unatural as a runner. Like if there's a clear running lane with no defender in front of him, he's coo. But if there's even a little bit of traffic or defenders in his path, he looks very unsure of how to evade and maneuver himself. 

I've seen little indication that he's this great dual threat. He's more mobile than an actual threat as a runner imo. It takes him forever to get north. The tip-toeing and trying to read blocks just looks very awkward and not very instinctive if I'm being honest. Warching guys like Allen, Jackson, Watson, etc and they look like runners when they decide to tuck the ball and go. Lance looks like a QB trying to run. I have not been impressed in the slightest with his ability as a dual threat. Even Fields just seems more instinctive when he decides to evade the pocket. 

Now I'm hoping his accuracy evolves much like it did for Allen as he gains knowledge & experience. But he's not the runner Allen is. Not even close if I'm being honest.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean I get that aspect. And I did have a similar thought when we drafted Lance. But watching him through his first 3 games now, one thing that has stuck out to me initially is him being a running threat has been overhyped.

I watched the game with a great friend of mine who is a die-hard Bears fan. Also in attendance was a Eagles fan, a Raiders fan, a Saints fan, a Rams fan and a Ravens fan. And they were all noticed the same thing...he looks unatural as a runner. Like if there's a clear running lane with no defender in front of him, he's coo. But if there's even a little bit of traffic or defenders in his path, he looks very unsure of how to evade and maneuver himself. 

I've seen little indication that he's this great dual threat. He's more mobile than an actual threat as a runner imo. It takes him forever to get north. The tip-toeing and trying to read blocks just looks very awkward and not very instinctive if I'm being honest. Warching guys like Allen, Jackson, Watson, etc and they look like runners when they decide to tuck the ball and go. Lance looks like a QB trying to run. I have not been impressed in the slightest with his ability as a dual threat. Even Fields just seems more instinctive when he decides to evade the pocket. 

Now I'm hoping his accuracy evolves much like it did for Allen as he gains knowledge & experience. But he's not the runner Allen is. Not even close if I'm being honest.

Yeah, agreed. I feel like it’s because he’s not sure if he’s supposed to be running or if he should slide or whatever. That’s been my interpretation of his “style” up to this point. 

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

Yeah, agreed. I feel like it’s because he’s not sure if he’s supposed to be running or if he should slide or whatever. That’s been my interpretation of his “style” up to this point. 

Yeah, Lance really seems to be trying to be exactly perfect all the time. He was a really instinctive and dangerous runner in college. He’s not a 4.4 turn the corner against athletic linebackers guy, but he was a 4.5, 4.55 guy that could get up to a high top speed on an open track when left unaccounted for back there. He hit 20mph at the Div II national title. It could be the Alex Smith thing of a dedicated perfectionist wanting to be exactly right and exactly sure in a situation where he just doesn’t have the experience, muscle memory, or feel for defenders and timing yet. It could just be that he lacks some immediate instinct for NFL play. Trying to make conclusive statements about it from the current sample size is pretty foolhardy one way or another, but the best, most positive tail of outcomes Lance had for this year are very quickly vanishing. 

• Like 2