Jump to content

Trey Lances devolopment


49erurtaza
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/153839-49ers-lance-dicing-practice-jimmy-garoppolo-undoubtedly-leader/

Quote

""Inside he's been the guy all along," linebacker Fred Warner said of Garoppolo Sunday. "Trey has got a bright future ahead, right? We see it every day in practice on our side because he's out there dicing us up. But Jimmy is our leader. He's our quarterback. We've rolled behind him the entire way. To see him playing at a high level like he is right now, we're going to need it."

 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I definitely think the big reason they shut him down from playing is locker room dynamic and the two different playing style. Hard for lineman to adjust from Jimmy then to Lance. And of course what Kyle has been saying it's hard on his play calling figuring out what the defense is going to do vs Lance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I definitely think the big reason they shut him down from playing is locker room dynamic and the two different playing style. Hard for lineman to adjust from Jimmy then to Lance. And of course what Kyle has been saying it's hard on his play calling figuring out what the defense is going to do vs Lance. 

I always felt the two different offenses was the stupidest thing Kyle could have done. Trey needed to learn the Jimmy offense from day 1. The only difference coming in converting certain run/playaction plays into read options, a FEW designed QB runs (ideally not just powers...), and just let Trey grow into an NFL QB. Then, in year 2, add those plays Kyle was drawing up on the plane, or whatever. Why take him on a different path from the start? Then, if Jimmy gets injured, Trey jumps in right away running the Jimmy offense, and no one else on offense misses a beat, and his arm talent and athleticism alone can compensate for what he perhaps lacks in understanding of the subtleties of defenses. His legs could compensate for struggling to find the right read by extending the play, or simply running for a first down here and there. Just live to fight another day, with the growing pains and all. If Kyle has a revolutionary offense built around Trey, it can wait for 2022. 

But as to your first point, yeah, the locker room will be behind Jimmy as long as he's here. He's a pro and he does all the right things. And the leaders of this team will publicly support him every chance they get, and being as classy as they are, they'll probably keep supporting him from afar even when he's gone. But that's not just about Jimmy. This locker room supported CJ Beathard just as much, and Mullens just as much. Does Jimmy elevate that locker room culture a little bit? Maybe. But this team seems really tightly knit. I can't remember any bad comment about the locker room, teammates or the coaching staff since Kyle has been here, to be honest. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I always felt the two different offenses was the stupidest thing Kyle could have done. Trey needed to learn the Jimmy offense from day 1. The only difference coming in converting certain run/playaction plays into read options, a FEW designed QB runs (ideally not just powers...), and just let Trey grow into an NFL QB. Then, in year 2, add those plays Kyle was drawing up on the plane, or whatever. Why take him on a different path from the start? Then, if Jimmy gets injured, Trey jumps in right away running the Jimmy offense, and no one else on offense misses a beat, and his arm talent and athleticism alone can compensate for what he perhaps lacks in understanding of the subtleties of defenses. His legs could compensate for struggling to find the right read by extending the play, or simply running for a first down here and there. Just live to fight another day, with the growing pains and all. If Kyle has a revolutionary offense built around Trey, it can wait for 2022. 

But as to your first point, yeah, the locker room will be behind Jimmy as long as he's here. He's a pro and he does all the right things. And the leaders of this team will publicly support him every chance they get, and being as classy as they are, they'll probably keep supporting him from afar even when he's gone. But that's not just about Jimmy. This locker room supported CJ Beathard just as much, and Mullens just as much. Does Jimmy elevate that locker room culture a little bit? Maybe. But this team seems really tightly knit. I can't remember any bad comment about the locker room, teammates or the coaching staff since Kyle has been here, to be honest. 

Yup you hit it on the nail. One thing I'm curious how this will play out is if when we trade Jimmy and he plays well with his new team and then if Lance struggles early on. Going to be weird dynamic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yup you hit it on the nail. One thing I'm curious how this will play out is if when we trade Jimmy and he plays well with his new team and then if Lance struggles early on. Going to be weird dynamic. 

Well, something that could help me feel better about Jimmy performing for his new team would be a conditional pick in the draft. I don't really expect a first rounder for him, but what about a third rounder in 2022, and a conditional third rounder in 2023 than can turn into a second rounder if Jimmy hits certain milestones? I think that would be a great trade for us. And a team trading for Jimmy would likely not be looking for him to be a long term answer, so they'd still have their first and second round picks in 2022 to get a QB of the future. So yeah, I'd definitely root for Jimmy to play well for whatever team he's playing with that's not playing against us.

I think we should expect Trey to struggle at times. I think he might lose us a game or two. But we have enough firepower on offense and brain power on the sideline to win games. And then we build on that. Will the media/social media be harsh on Trey when he makes mistakes? Absolutely, because that's the nature of the beast. Just look back at the "Fire Kyle" campaign not even two months ago. It's overreaction land, out there. But you just gotta ride through that. I know Kyle can do it. I feel pretty confident Trey will do it. He's witnessed it, at least. He will know what to expect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

MM dropped some tidbits about Trey Lance. 

 

 

 

I was just going to say that Warner mentioned after the game that Lance has been giving the defense fits in practice. Maiocco asked the question knowing what Warner was going to say since he had talked to someone already lol. That sly dog! But those tidbits that he provides is still his value at this point. He's slipped and has had a rough year but he still has more inside info than anyone else on the beat. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maiocco did mention how his pre-season finger injury slowed him down for a while, and I guess that may have been the overlooked thing earlier in the season. It might have been the reason for a mostly run-heavy gameplan against the Cards. It wasn't so much that they didn't trust him, but rather that he couldn't throw accurately because of the injury. 

I'd still include him in the gameplan, if only to screw with other teams' heads. Not even at QB. I said a few weeks ago, when Deebo was injured, that I'd use Trey in the backfield at Deebo's spot. Like that play where Jimmy missed a totally wide open Jeff Wilson in the endzone, where Deebo was a RB, George at FB, Jeff Wilson at TE and I think Juice was at WR? That formation wasn't meant to create a matchup as much as it was about creating confusion between assignments. Defenses have rules, and with that formation, they simply had to throw away the rulebook. It didn't hold up anymore. Put Trey in Deebo's spot, and we still put a strain on these assignments, but with the added wrinkle of him being a highly athletic QB...

I even drew up a few plays. If I can manage to turn them into gifs, I'll post them, because, you know, I'm obviously better at this than Kyle Shanahan...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...