Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lombardo's follow up to his comments

What film were our scouts watching??

That was one of my biggest knocks on Trey as a prospects. His accuracy middle-deep was very inconsistent. That's one of the first things that jump out at me watching his flim. 

Arm strength wise, I think he has an above average arm. Not a cannon but he can put those deep out-breaking routes on a rope, towards the boundary. Definitely stronger than Jimmy's so I see no reason to be disappointed there.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

What film were our scouts watching??

That was one of my biggest knocks on Trey as a prospects. His accuracy middle-deep was very inconsistent. That's one of the first things that jump out at me watching his flim. 

Arm strength wise, I think he has an above average arm. Not a cannon but he can put those deep out-breaking routes on a rope, towards the boundary. Definitely stronger than Jimmy's so I see no reason to be disappointed there.

The arm strength thing blew my mind, but his accuracy in some regard was always a question (and just like Jimmy, he throws high over the middle which is a disaster). 

I also thought he was often a hair late in his timing and reads in college. That's something I assumed would get better with time and still believe that, but you could still see it last year even in the Texans game

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

The arm strength thing blew my mind, but his accuracy in some regard was always a question (and just like Jimmy, he throws high over the middle which is a disaster). 

I also thought he was often a hair late in his timing and reads in college. That's something I assumed would get better with time and still believe that, but you could still see it last year even in the Texans game

The arm strength critique is HILARIOUS. He may not have a Josh Allen rocket, but that is certainly not one of his issues. 

His deep ball looked very good against the Texans though. Forget the Deebo throw, his throw to Aiyuk in the end zone just before halftime was dead on the money. And then his strike to Kittle late in the game was a throw very few QBs could make.

Lombardo tried too hard to defend his initial tweet. We had beat writers watching almost all the TC practices and never was it mentioned that he had arm strength issues. Warner and Ward both mentioned that Lance was being too conservative in practice during the season until they talked to him and after that he started to let it rip and we got leaked clips proving that. 

Whatever, I'm just tired of all these reports and I'm ready for Lance to get on the field and get all the first team reps this offseason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

BINGO!

I really thought the narrative that he played in a pro-style offense so he already mentally ready from the pocket never sat well with me. He was routinely late with his reads or he just missed progressions all together. He's not the mental savant alot ppl were trying to paint him as, pre-draft.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 hour ago, Forge said:

And the deep ball accuracy thing is pretty weird, too. He was absolutely not so hot in college, but he was grading pretty highly on downfield throws last time I looked pff wise and was really struggling in the short areas of the field (mostly with timing and missing screen gimmies) and with intermediate throws (missing underneath defenders for turnover worthy plays) far, far more. And that’s just about the opposite profile he had in college (minus a touch of the timing problems). He was right behind Mac Jones with Zach Wilson as the top of that class in the short areas of the field in college, but struggled more the further forward down the field you went. Some of that is just reps. And then you have to hope that last years deep ball accuracy on limited reps wasn’t a mirage because he made some pretty sweet throws on that front. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

My favorite thing going on right now on twitter is that weird minority who is actually saying Brock Purdy is more NFL ready than Lance lol 

I actually liked Purdy as a late round flyer type of QB. He has some intangibles I really like. But that take borders on insanity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I actually liked Purdy as a late round flyer type of QB. He has some intangibles I really like. But that take borders on insanity.

Just strikes me as the type who makes a good back up QB so long as he doesn't have to play. In a perfect world, I think he's Colt McCoy. He has no physical skills, never really got any better throughout his college career. Just seems like a locker room guy to me. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

So what context was this said in? Was it about the 49ers QBs? Was it about Alex smith vs Kap or Tom Brady vs Lamar Jackson or something like that. Or was this directly in reference to Niners QB situation.  

Lots of different ways this could be taken out of context. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, straighthate said:

So what context was this said in? Was it about the 49ers QBs? Was it about Alex smith vs Kap or Tom Brady vs Lamar Jackson or something like that. Or was this directly in reference to Niners QB situation.  

Lots of different ways this could be taken out of context. 

The comments from Lombardo always had a circumstantial connect the dots to scange and I think that Grant is using this as more info to point out that Scange maybe wasn't a Lance guy (supporting where the Lombardo comments come from). It would have been unreasonable to think that everyone in the organization was a Lance over everyone else guy. I'm sure there were those that preferred lance, some mac, some fields. 

The podcast was mostly just about evaluating QBs in general and they talk some about this QB class, Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett, etc, but they would certainly lend credence to the idea that he would have preferred Mac Jones with just some of the things that he seems to prefer (though it's important to note that he's not speaking Anti Lance or anything like that). Those specific comments were made when they were discussing Pickett and how elite traits can be overrated (not something that is super shokcing to say, tbh). He makes a comment regarding the value of athleticism and stuff  so he acknowledges the worth of those, the small school thing. He talks about number of starts, 2 minutes drills (and not having a 2 minute situation in games, which would point back at Lance just a bit). Just based on his own preferences I could certainly see how he would have been a Mac guy in that draft. 

Does that mean that Scange was the one who told Lombardo what he said the other day? No. I think there's a reasonable chance, but it's all circumstantial.  I do think that there's some credence that he was a Mac guy, which is neither good or bad. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

The comments from Lombardo always had a circumstantial connect the dots to scange and I think that Grant is using this as more info to point out that Scange maybe wasn't a Lance guy (supporting where the Lombardo comments come from). It would have been unreasonable to think that everyone in the organization was a Lance over everyone else guy. I'm sure there were those that preferred lance, some mac, some fields. 

The podcast was mostly just about evaluating QBs in general and they talk some about this QB class, Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett, etc, but they would certainly lend credence to the idea that he would have preferred Mac Jones with just some of the things that he seems to prefer (though it's important to note that he's not speaking Anti Lance or anything like that). Those specific comments were made when they were discussing Pickett and how elite traits can be overrated (not something that is super shokcing to say, tbh). He makes a comment regarding the value of athleticism and stuff  so he acknowledges the worth of those, the small school thing. He talks about number of starts, 2 minutes drills (and not having a 2 minute situation in games, which would point back at Lance just a bit). Just based on his own preferences I could certainly see how he would have been a Mac guy in that draft. 

Does that mean that Scange was the one who told Lombardo what he said the other day? No. I think there's a reasonable chance, but it's all circumstantial.  I do think that there's some credence that he was a Mac guy, which is neither good or bad. 

I mean, there were definitely Mac dudes in the organization, I think. That or it was a very precisely done PR job last year. It didn’t feel that way though. Too muddled.  I think that it’s pretty clear that the Mac dudes weren’t at the top, but I’m sure they existed. I mean, one of our coaches specifically decided to go to Miami to coach new Jimmy G that hasn’t been super hot in the NFL yet. Not to use draft assets to get their own guy. New Jimmy G. There was a type in the building. Trying to identify who dropped the Lance rumors is silly though. Scangarello is certainly possible along with several other guys that left the building. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I mean, there were definitely Mac dudes in the organization, I think. That or it was a very precisely done PR job last year. It didn’t feel that way though. Too muddled.  I think that it’s pretty clear that the Mac dudes weren’t at the top, but I’m sure they existed. I mean, one of our coaches specifically decided to go to Miami to coach new Jimmy G that hasn’t been super hot in the NFL yet. Not to use draft assets to get their own guy. New Jimmy G. There was a type in the building. Trying to identify who dropped the Lance rumors is silly though. Scangarello is certainly possible along with several other guys that left the building. 

I'm sure there were Mac fans amongst coaches and scouts. BUT anyone would half a brain should have understood we didn't need to jump up to #3 overall to draft Mac. So Mac was never the play after the trade up. Maybe leading up to trade, when we were still picking in our original slot, there was (and should have been) a heavy Mac contingent. But the trade up meant were looking for more physical gifts at the position. More athletic traits to really unlock the offense and take it to another level. Those kind of guys are Top 10-ish players. That type of athlete playing the position warrants that.

There's a reason why guys like Mahomes, Allen & Herbert are taking over the league. Shanny made a concerted effort to get his very own version of that, plain & simple. All the hand-wringling after the fact is just ppl trying to spin another agenda just for clicks, likes, & clout. 

Most ppl on this board knew Lance was the furthest of all the first round QBs of being ready to start. Hell, I even say I'd be shocked if he saw the field at all as a rookie because of a list of things I felt he needed to work on before he could be a viable player from the pocket. He shocked just about everyone when he made it an actually QB competition as rookie, in TC. This bull**** narrative being prompt up now is the equivalent of throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks.

• Like 1