Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin traded to Buffalo

Dr LBC

Three shockers in a row today, all out of left field. Its strange that the Bills traded away Watkins and for Benjamin. Then again, they are different players but both have had many injury concerns. Also strange that Carolina didn't want him, they most likely werent planning on giving him the 8.5 mil next year and thought to get some compensation. For the Bills, this may just be an "oh shhhhhhh we are in contention halfway through the season, lets fix that trading away our best receiver thing and try and compete". 

8 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I don't get half these trades....I totally get it for the bills but why are the Panthers trading their best WR?

No idea. I get that he’s inconsistent. But even his 5th year option next year is pretty much on par with what other guys in his talent range get, so it’s not like he’d be getting overpaid with that.

Its possible this might only end up costing the Bills a 7th + a trade back in the 3rd round. There are very close on getting a compensatory 3rd for the Gilmore FA move to the Patriots, they need to rid of Andre Holmes + a couple of others, which is more than possible given Benjamin does what Holmes has been doing. So if they cut Holmes, Ryan Davis and Vlad Duccase (the only one who would even be mildly surprising), this turns into Benjamin costing a 7th + a trade back in the 3rd.

16 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Wow love it! Suddenly our WR core doesn't look so bad. 

Benjamin, Matthews, Zay, Holmes and Thompson.

I'd like to see Kelvin get in on a couple redzone plays on Thursday

Absolutely, does he play Thursday ?

I would think Saints game would be his debut 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Three shockers in a row today, all out of left field. Its strange that the Bills traded away Watkins and for Benjamin. Then again, they are different players but both have had many injury concerns. Also strange that Carolina didn't want him, they most likely werent planning on giving him the 8.5 mil next year and thought to get some compensation. For the Bills, this may just be an "oh shhhhhhh we are in contention halfway through the season, lets fix that trading away our best receiver thing and try and compete". 

Watkins wasn't in our long term plans. Even when he played, he played hurt for us and wasn't effective. He is built to stretch the field and plays into our QB weakness.

This trade was a "were surprisingly in contention and need an upgrade at our thinnest position"

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I don't even know how to respond to this. Buffalo declined Watkins option, never had him available and was not someone who fits into the team mentality that McDermott teaches. We've added a WR who has produced consistently, who the GM and coach both know. That's without mentioning that you left out EJ Gaines who we got from the Rams who has been excellent this season. This post just doesn't make any sense, we don't miss Sammy at all.

33 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Am I the only one who actually liked the Bills roster better before the new front office started letting their free agents walk and making weird trades?

Good thing you aren't are GM. When building a team you have to have players that buy in / are scheme fits.

We're 5-2 and it's a completely different feel than older bills teams. New owners, new GM, new HC that bring accountability to a team that needed it.

3 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Its possible this might only end up costing the Bills a 7th + a trade back in the 3rd round. There are very close on getting a compensatory 3rd for the Gilmore FA move to the Patriots, they need to rid of Andre Holmes + a couple of others, which is more than possible given Benjamin does what Holmes has been doing. So if they cut Holmes, Ryan Davis and Vlad Duccase (the only one who would even be mildly surprising), this turns into Benjamin costing a 7th + a trade back in the 3rd.

"Very close" seems optimistic given the spending the Bills did in the offseason.  It wasn't a ton, but cumulatively those Hyde, Poyer, Hauschka, and Holmes contracts can definitely add up, at least enough to turn that 3rd into a 4th.

35 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Bills give up:
CB Ronald Darby
WR Sammy Watkins
3rd round pick
6th round pick
7th round pick

Bills acquire:
WR Kelvin Benjamin
WR Jordan Matthews
CB E.J. Gaines
2nd round pick