What's Mac Jones' ceiling?

notthatbluestuff

It's sooooooooooooooooo difficult to be able to try and estimate how a QB's mental aptitude and processing is going to progress. Maybe he reaches savant Brady / Manning levels of NFL on field processing. It's not impossible. But it's so hard to gauge and very tough to try and count on, I would imagine. 

I think a more realistic ceiling to reach is maybe around Matt Ryan with a most likely scenario being healthy Chad Pennington. If he's Derek Carr / Cousins, I actually think that's a win for the Pats, so I don't think that having him in that area is an insult or anything. Jimmy G with better pocket awareness and mental aptitude. 

But it's so hard to gauge where his progression is going to go. While he has been impressive, I also haven't seen anything that really changes my draft opinion of him? He was certainly more pro ready than I gave him credit for, but I mean in terms of overall ceiling. 

• Like 10

Hard to gauge a quarterback’s ceiling. Obviously you have guys that aren’t special athletes, and that’ll cap them in some ways, but 3/4 of the greatest QBs in the last 21 years weren’t special athletes. Special athleticism is not a prerequisite to being all-timers at QB. 

If Bill coaches longer than most other HCs have gone, sky’s the limit for Mac. Too hard to really call, IMO.

He's probably gonna wind up in the same conversation guys like Carson Palmer and Matt Ryan end up in- just short of HoF level eliteness, but he'll also probably get closer to the Hall than they will because he'll probably win at least one Superbowl. 

A solid 7.9-8.4/10 type of career. 

Has basically confirmed my draft evaluation on him so far as I was very high on him (and made it very known in the draft forum) as he had quite a few doubters on here lol. Figured he'd look great early on and I could easily see him having a Matt Ryan type career. I think there will be multiple teams regretting passing on him in the draft for other QB's. Can't wait to see how he does with some better WR's around him.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

He's probably gonna wind up in the same conversation guys like Carson Palmer and Matt Ryan end up in- just short of HoF level eliteness, but he'll also probably get closer to the Hall than they will because he'll probably win at least one Superbowl. 

A solid 7.9-8.4/10 type of career. 

Not a chance.  He's Jake Delhomme 2.0 at best.  Game manager type QB who in the right season can take you far but you can't count on to carry a team.

The fact he went to a good team has ya'll fooled.  Trevor Lawrence would be ripping the league apart right now if he was on the Patriots. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VanS said:

Not a chance.  He's Jake Delhomme 2.0 at best.  Game manager type QB who in the right season can take you far but you can't count on to carry a team.

The fact he went to a good team has ya'll fooled.  Trevor Lawrence would be ripping the league apart right now if he was on the Patriots. 

Ah your vaunted eye test I assume. Given what else steals your gaze, honestly it can't be trusted. 

• Like 3

On 12/4/2021 at 6:39 PM, VanS said:

He's Jake Delhomme 2.0 at best.

Delhomme was always a dumb turnover just waiting to happen every time he dropped back to pass. He overstayed his welcome in Carolina by like three seasons because John Fox was stubborn as a mule. This comparison is ludicrous.

Game manager type QB who in the right season can take you far but you can't count on to carry a team.

I thought football is a team sport? Mac may not be "physically" elite, but his poise and intelligence certainly is. You know, kind of like Tom Brady.

Trevor Lawrence would be ripping the league apart right now if he was on the Patriots. 

And how the hell do you know that? There's no way to test this. People tried this crap in the 2000's with their pointless Peyton on the Patriots hypotheses.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 6

I like him, and I don't necessarily think being drafted by the Patriots is all there is to it.  It's impossible to predict his progression, but it's not impossible he won't eventually become as good as any of the other elite QBs that didn't have the elite physical gifts.

MVP. Elite. Just because he can't make a 65 yard throw on the run sidearm without looking, or outrun a whole defense for 70 yards doesn't mean he can't become a great QB. Drew Brees and Tom Brady couldn't do that either. He can process the game, take the easy throws, and also gouge you deep if there's a nice look. The most important part of a QB is his ability to read defenses, which Mac Jones has in spades. He's more physically gifted than Brady was coming out of college, and had a MUCH better college career too. I'm not saying he'll be Tom Brady, but he's in the same mold. He can certainly become one of the best QBs in the league for years to come. And this is from somebody who thought he would crash and burn in the NFL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Joshua Dobbs says hello!