Sources: This is likely Roethlisberger's final season

biggie.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Saying Ben was never an elite player simply because he was never better than 4 of the best QBs of all time is a wild claim.

Shrug. We have different definitions then. 

If you are virtually never in the top tier of players at your position, I don’t call that elite. I guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t include the super duper elite tier into their rankings.

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yep. Ben has the ring, the bulk stats, the wins, and the longevity to assure himself a selection. 

60k+ yards, 400+ TDs, almost a 2:1 TD-INT ratio, 2 rings, 3 appearances, 11 playoff appearances, a couple of "meh" years but very few outright bad ones. 

He's certainly not the QB he once was, but he's also better than what most 39 year old QBs are. Not everyone is Tom Brady. But Ben Roethlisberger was far and away one of the best QBs of the last 20 years. Forget box scores, dude was scary good in his prime and only ended his seasons with a losing record twice (one being 7-8, one being 0-2).

For all the Brees love, he had 6 losing seasons and only played in 1 Superbowl in 10 playoff appearances. If those otherwise empty stat lines can pad his resume for the Hall of Fame, Ben Roethlisberger's resume certainly belongs up there as well. The Hall of Fame is for the best of the best overall, not a beauty contest. 

Why won't Matt Stafford ever sniff it? Because his bulk stats didn't lead anywhere. Stat Padford is a thing for a reason. Roethlisberger's high bulk stats had the Steelers in pretty steady contention. 

How is his HoF resume even in question? 

Take Brees off the Saints they're one of the worst teams in the league.

Take Ben off the Steelers and they're still decebt enough to go 8-8.

Just for clarification, to anyone who read/replied to my post, Ben will 100% make the hall of fame. Without question. He would be on the fence for me, though. But the standards I would use are vastly different from those shown by the actual hall of fame voters. I wouldn't vote in Eli either, but I think he definitely makes it.

24 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Take Brees off the Saints they're one of the worst teams in the league.

Take Ben off the Steelers and they're still decebt enough to go 8-8.

Saints without Drew Brees in 2019 and 2020: 8-1

Steelers without Ben Roethlisberger in 2019 and 2020: 8-7

Seems like the Saints were more than fine. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Saints without Drew Brees in 2019 and 2020: 8-1

Steelers without Ben Roethlisberger in 2019 and 2020: 8-7

Seems like the Saints were more than fine. 

We had good backups and good defense, and Brees was way past his prime anyway.

When our defense was garbage even historically bad some years, its a different story.

That being said, i dont know why some would argue Ben isnt a hall of famer he clearly is and yes he has been one of the best in the league.

38 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Absolutely agreed. Don’t be sad that it’s almost over, be thankful that it’s happening.

If anything, at this point, you should be sad that its happening since he is only spiraling downward.

But I get why Browns fans would be happy he is gone.    😎

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Shrug. We have different definitions then. 

If you are virtually never in the top tier of players at your position, I don’t call that elite. I guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t include the super duper elite tier into their rankings.

I agree that Ben was never in the elite category, but he played in an era with 4 of the most prolific passers of all time (Brady, Brees, Manning and Rodgers).     

Ive noticed over the years that fans have a tendency to dump on QBs who arent considered elite and over underestimate how hard it is to find a quality QB.   

Im not Ben's biggest fan and never have been.   He has some extremely memorable playoff moments, but was mediocre at best as a playoff QB as a hole.  He had some consistency issues and was always good for one or 2 bonehead passes every game.

That being said, Ben was still a very good to great QB most of his career, and it will be bittersweet to lose him.   He shouldve retired after he hurt his elbow., but he is the last remaining piece of a very memorable era, and for that reason, its sad to see him go.

For every other reason....good riddance.

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

If anything, at this point, you should be sad that its happening since he is only spiraling downward.

But I get why Browns fans would be happy he is gone.    😎

I had a friend who dated him a couple times at Miami, so tbh I’ve despised him for like 17 years.

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

I agree that Ben was never in the elite category, but he played in an era with 4 of the most prolific passers of all time (Brady, Brees, Manning and Rodgers).     

Ive noticed over the years that fans have a tendency to dump on QBs who arent considered elite and over underestimate how hard it is to find a quality QB.   

Im not Ben's biggest fan and never have been.   He has some extremely memorable playoff moments, but was mediocre at best as a playoff QB as a hole.  He had some consistency issues and was always good for one or 2 bonehead passes every game.

That being said, Ben was still a very good to great QB most of his career, and it will be bittersweet to lose him.   He shouldve retired after he hurt his elbow., but he is the last remaining piece of a very memorable era, and for that reason, its sad to see him go.

For every other reason....good riddance.

Agree with most of this. Don’t want to get it misconstrued. He was a damn fine QB. 

Just not a HOFer, IMO. That should be for the best of the best. If you put Ben in, then you flirt with putting in Eli, Rivers, Ryan, etc. I’m not about putting in 8-10 guys that all played in essentially the same era.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I had a friend who dated him a couple times at Miami, so tbh I’ve despised him for like 17 years.

He did some promotional stuff early in his career for Circuit City's in Pennsylvania, and he did one at a Circuit City my buddy was working at in 2005, and him and all his coworkers told me that Ben was a complete and utter prima donna d-bag.   The one guy said he bought his jersey his rookie year, and after the Circuit City incident, threw it in the trash.

Still, despise him or not....he sucks now.   You should want him to keep playing just to hold the Steelers back.

Youre not real Browns fan.  😆

• Like 1