It's time to take a stand (Damarious Randall)

MacReady

Will Damarious Randall have a Davante third year type rebound?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Will Damarious Randall have a Davante third year type rebound?

Just found out we weren't even the worst ranked pass defense last year.  We were the 31st ranked pass defense with our day one starter out for the rest of his career since week 1, Randall injured since week 4, Rollins frequently injured, and the slowest starting cornerback in the league (who also happened to be an undrafted player in his rookie year).  If you ask me, that's a pretty good accomplishment, especially considering our 21st ranked defense in overall scoring. 

King, Jones, House, RJF, Adams, Biegel added.

Peppers, Hyde lost. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is there a middle ground between mediocre season and Adams type leap?

I think he's going to do well in the slot, I think that's what he's most suited for at this time. 

Glad to see you make it over.

I was under the assumption that they were going to use him in a Woodson-like role.  Obviously, he's not as versatile as Charles Woodson was.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Glad to see you make it over.

I was under the assumption that they were going to use him in a Woodson-like role.  Obviously, he's not as versatile as Charles Woodson was.

I think you're going to see a situation where the "Woodson Role" is split up between Randall and Jones. Randall will play the more traditional nickel role, and you'll see Jones as the inside/TE/Micah Hyde guy based on matchups and in the dime. Neither of those guys is Charles Woodson, you just have to play to their strengths and hope the weaknesses don't bite you.

I think that groin injury really slowed him down last year. He was pretty quick but physical his rookie year...last year they seemingly played him in off coverage (because of his groin, I think) probably to protect the deep ball. I think he will bounce back and be a reliable player, but who knows if he will ever be a true #1 CB.

On 8/2/2017 at 1:53 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm hoping Randall finally hits his stride, but early reports from camp have him about 4th or 5th in the pecking order.  He needs to start living up to his talent level.

I'm hoping he's one of those players who plays better during the game.  I really thought that his goal line stop in the San Diego game was when he was going to take off, but it hasn't happened yet.

At this point it's looking like Randall is going the wrong way on the depth chart.  Hopefully, that's more a matter of Rollins playing well more than Randall playing poorly.  I really haven't heard much about Randall on way or the other since camp opened.

From what I've heard, Randall started off as the starter in the slot.  Then Rollins got some reps and they were about 50/50.  Rollins has outplayed Randall by a large margin...in coverage.  That's why Rollins is the #2 corner with King on the sideline.  Randall appears to be the better of the two on blitzing and run support.  So I think who plays and where depends on down/distance and what defensive package Capers wants to run.  If he wants to blitz the slot, then Randall may be his guy.  If he wants more coverage, especially man coverage, perhaps Rollins is the guy.

But Rollins sure has drawn a lot of praise.

I think HZ said it best...don't care which one of them improves as long as one of them improves.

One of my friends who was at practice used the B word to describe Randall in camp.  Not good.

Archived