Post game thoughts. At Lions.

cconocool

Ok . . . although the nausea remains rampant within me, I'll try my best to look at this game objectively.

Oh wait, no . . . can't do it.  The Defensive Coordinator and HC committed cardinal sins.  The offense and QB failed early, screwed things up in quarters 2 and 3, but managed to find a way back into it -- only to lose three points after TDs by going for 2.  Now, in defense of the thought process, the first time, I believe they were going to make it a FG game, for a future tie.  The 2nd time to get to a tie.  It's at this point, the logic is sound, but the results were costly.    

The 3rd attempt was just a try to get back to 6 points.  Could've gotten there with 2 EPs .  The fact they couldn't punch it in for at least 1 TD in the 1st quarter, that was it.

The Vikings made some good plays with nice returns on KOs, some sacks and 2 take-aways (but only 6 pts to show), but it wasn't enough to overcome untimely penalties and poor pass coverage.  I realize Zimmer had a multitude of things running through his head that final stand . . . but pressuring Goff was working and when the Vikes had them 3rd and 10 at their own 36, he should've brought the house.  Most importantly that last drive, the Lion got to 3rd down only three times in 75 yards --- that sucks.  

So, if Zimmer were to get fired, they better slash his son with him.  Put Patterson or the ST Coordinator in as HC and ride this thing to the last 5 games.  Shoot Joe Brady was fired, so who's to say things can't go crazy.    The problem is just what we saw on TV -- empty seats.  The Vikes have no business being in the playoffs right now. 

BUT -- if fans show up and spend money, why would anything change?  If the Vikes fans want change -- boycott Thursday night, and two weeks after  . . . that's how masses send a message. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If you think Cousins is a problem, there’s no helping you. You’re just wrong. 

This game was lost because of Zimmer and his coaches. The play calling in the first half was bad. Zimmer’s refusal to accept that his defense sucks continues to cost the team. 

Mike Zimmer doesn’t being on the flight back to Minnesota. 

Cousins had some bad throws that should have been picked. However, I agree this wasn't on 8.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s just incompetence, and inexcusable. 

And it’s not the first time that Zimmer has flat out failed to gameplan for his opponent. 

Which doesn’t make sense. Thought that Zimmer always prided himself in running complex and aggressive schemes. When Sheldon Richardson is your starting DE, you better be bringing pressure from the LBs.

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Which doesn’t make sense. Thought that Zimmer always prided himself in running complex and aggressive schemes. When Sheldon Richardson is your starting DE, you better be bringing pressure from the LBs.

I said this on Twitter, but it’s very obvious that Zimmer doesn’t trust his players.

After watching this game I’m not even sure I can say it’s simply a lack of talent anymore. I don’t think Zimmer can do the job anymore. I think teams have figured him out and he hasn’t been able to adjust. 

There’s no doubt that more talent and youth is needed to bring the defense back to a top tier unit, but I can’t help but think that a different coach, someone who has a much simpler approach, would you have this group playing better. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Apparently, PFF credited the final touchdown to Xavier Woods. I’d love to hear a breakdown of that play and as to why they chose Woods as the primary culprit. I’m sure one of the film geeks on Twitter will break it down. 

Also, who ever decided to move Udoh to LT, yeah let’s not do that anymore. 

Edited by SemperFeist