Week 13: Jaguars At Rams

MDY10

Great team win from the opening kickoff when Howell went 65yds to set the Rams up with great field position. I think Skowronek dropped a key pass on that drive or else I think the Rams probably wouldve scored a td but they ended up getting a FG. Slow start in the 1st half in general but they did end the 1st quarter with a 10-0 lead so I was happy about that.

The 2nd half the Rams just totally dominated. Man when I say the Rams are hard to play with when they have a lead at halftime they are truly just that. They know how to not just keep the lead but put they foot on the gas and expand the lead. They didnt even give the Jags any hope. This is the same Jags team that beat the Bills and played the Cards tough in the 1st half. 

Michel was someone that stood out to me. McVay made it a focal point to run the ball and Michel delivered. We are going to need this gameplan and performance again next week against the Cards. Their weakness is stopping the run and if the Rams can commit to running the ball like they did today I think the Rams will take advantage of the Cards weakness. So props to McVay for running the ball and for Michel in delivering. Get healthy soon Henderson bc when he does the Rams will have that 1-2 to just make defenses pay on the ground.

It feels like when Stafford taste his own blood for a lack of saying he gets better. Remember when he hurt his finger against the Seahawks in the 1st half? He came out in the 2nd half and was dominant. Today he was shaky until he got blasted and had to leave the game for a play. He came back and and was dominant. He was 6/6 on the drive before he got blasted but after that he continued and the only mistake he made was he didnt hit Kupp wide open in the endzone bc the ball left his hand weird. Even on that drive he got blasted I think it wouldve went for a td had Jefferson not dropped that key 3rd down. So yeah Stafford is not only tough but he is a gamer. 

The defense did its job. Taking the ball away twice, sacking and pressuring Lawrence all game long. The only bad thing they did was on the one td drive where they committed two penalties that helped the Jags score. The defense dont have to be 1st overall in the NFL. They just need to play solid football, dont give up anything easy, get a takeaway or two and dont shoot themselves in the foot with stupid penalties.

Then I have to say Im loving seeing Kupp dominate. He was so quiet in the first 5 drives and still dominated. Dude definitely should be in the MVP discussion and I think she should be the front runner of OPOY. 

Have to say, that was one of Mcvay's best coached games in a long time. Maybe he really does just need a more physical RB to feel comfortable leaning on the run (ala CJ Anderson). I don't think anyone should have been looking in Hendo's direction as one of our issues, but Sony did look great and has always been good in pass protection.

Off the top of my head there was only really one bad playcall (early on, 1st and goal and he had Kupp line up at RB. No one in the world is expecting a handoff there). That being said, it's easy to call a good game against a team like the Jags. If he can keep his emotions in check in the big games and keep this going, I'll be very happy. 

• Like 2

We had a month with no wins, this felt good. Idc that it was against the Jags.

Also, this was causing controversy on Rams twitter, but I would take Sony Michels consistent 3-5 YPC vs Hendo's 2-2-11-2-4-15. etc Let's make Michel the lead back and get him in pass blocking drills on Monday.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

We had a month with no wins, this felt good. Idc that it was against the Jags.

Also, this was causing controversy on Rams twitter, but I would take Sony Michels consistent 3-5 YPC vs Hendo's 2-2-11-2-4-15. etc Let's make Michel the lead back and get him in pass blocking drills on Monday.

Shouldn't be controversial. Hendo hasn't been good this year. 

15 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It was pretty random but I loved seeing Stafford sneak the ball. Let's hope he can do that throughout the year. We needed that last week vs Green Bay. 

I always was annoyed with this. If guys like Goff and Brady can consistently convert it, any QB really should be able to. Why turn around and hand it off to the RB a few yards back when everyone knows you're running it.  

41 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I always was annoyed with this. If guys like Goff and Brady can consistently convert it, any QB really should be able to. Why turn around and hand it off to the RB a few yards back when everyone knows you're running it.  

I thought with Stafford it was due to injury so it is encouraging he was willing to do it in a meaningless game. He also did it with a backup center.

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

Have to say, that was one of Mcvay's best coached games in a long time. Maybe he really does just need a more physical RB to feel comfortable leaning on the run (ala CJ Anderson). I don't think anyone should have been looking in Hendo's direction as one of our issues, but Sony did look great and has always been good in pass protection.

Off the top of my head there was only really one bad playcall (early on, 1st and goal and he had Kupp line up at RB. No one in the world is expecting a handoff there). That being said, it's easy to call a good game against a team like the Jags. If he can keep his emotions in check in the big games and keep this going, I'll be very happy. 

Lining him up in the backfield is more about creating mismatches I'd wager. You're right people don't expect him to run the ball, I can't even remember the last jet sweep he had with only one rush this year for -5 it obviously wasn't successful or it was something screwy. But you put him in the backfield and usually you have ILB or safeties covering the back coming out which is an obvious chance at a big win. Or if they roll a CB to him that can create a mismatch for somebody lined up out wide.

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

I thought with Stafford it was due to injury so it is encouraging he was willing to do it in a meaningless game. He also did it with a backup center.

His wife was on an LA radio show I was reading arguing with the host that Matt is not in fact injured. Take it for what it's worth but there sure does seem to be a lot of smoke around any possible injuries plus I don't know that he's ever popped up on the injury report for us this year.

3 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Lining him up in the backfield is more about creating mismatches I'd wager. You're right people don't expect him to run the ball, I can't even remember the last jet sweep he had with only one rush this year for -5 it obviously wasn't successful or it was something screwy. But you put him in the backfield and usually you have ILB or safeties covering the back coming out which is an obvious chance at a big win. Or if they roll a CB to him that can create a mismatch for somebody lined up out wide.

That's fair but I just hate telling the defense not to worry about a run on first down, especially near the goalline where the defenders are bunched up.