Jets trading for 49ers CB Rashard Robinson

jetfan8178

I liked him in the draft. He hasn’t done much playing though. He’s been starting this year and hasn’t played well. Not sure if SF system wasn’t the best for him or what, but he’s a physical CB and should be playing at the line. Hopefully a change of scenery can help him out. I’d love to see him and Burris start to grow as players for the remaining part of this season.

• San Francisco CB Rashard Robinson’s 13.2 coverage snaps per reception ranked No. 1 among rookie cornerbacks with at least 250 snaps in coverage.
  • Robinson ranked 10th in coverage snaps per reception among all cornerbacks with at least 250 coverage snaps.
  • He allowed the third-fewest yards per coverage snap (1.07) and fourth-lowest QB rating (86.4) among rookie cornerbacks.
  • Robinson is expected to have a full-time starting role for the 49ers in 2017, especially after the release of Tramaine Brock.

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Robinson has just 8 career starts under his belt, but that tells you what the 49ers think about his upside. Robinson is a long, press corner leaking with talent. If he stayed clean off the field, he's likely a top 40 pick. There are plenty of question marks, but he's an early candidate for steal of the draft. --Mark Dulgerian

6'1"HEIGHT

32 1/4"ARM LENGTH

171LBS.WEIGHT

9"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Robinson's talent was never an issue during his time in Baton Rouge, but staying on the field was problematic. He barely made the deadline for eligibility before his freshman season, but ended up playing in 12 games with two starts (16 tackles, interception, three pass break-ups). In 2014, he was not allowed to dress for the season opener against Wisconsin and started six of eight games played (17 tackles, one pass breakup) before being suspended indefinitely in November. Head coach Les Miles never reinstated Robinson for the 2015 season, so the defender sat out the season instead of transferring to another school. Without hope of re-joining the team in 2016, he entered the NFL draft as an early entrant.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds 
Vertical: 34 1/2 inches 
Broad jump: 10 feet 
Short shuttle: 4.44 seconds 
3-cone: 7.31 seconds 
Bench: 5 reps of 225 pounds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Tremendously long athlete with cover skills to blanket his target in press-man. Recovery speed allows him to sit on short and intermediate routes. Can flip hips and accelerate with his man down the field. Smooth change of speed to mirror double movers. Thin, but not soft. Plays to his height and it often spells doom when he has receivers pinned against the sideline. In 2013, held then-Aggie Mike Evans to four catches for 51 yards. Willing to do his part when he has to tackle. Explosive from stand­still and can close quickly on throws or receivers.

WEAKNESSES

Due to off­-field issues, has limited game experience and ball production. Feet become impatient from press and he opens early at the first sign of a head fake. Spindly legs may be close to maxed out in terms of size. Run support may be an issue when he has to disengage against NFL size. Arrested in June of 2015 and charged with unauthorized entry in connection with a theft from the apartment of one of Robinson's former teammates. Has admitted to being "selfish" while at LSU.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 6 or 7

SOURCES TELL US

"I'm not sure he's a bad kid, but I know he hates school. He's really tough -- ­typical south Florida kid. You know what you get. The interviews will work themselves out for better or worse, but you keep things simple for him and let him chase one guy around the field all day. He's really good at that." -- Former SEC defensive coach

NFL COMPARISON

Dominique Rodgers-­Cromartie

BOTTOM LINE

He might look like he skipped "leg day" for several years, but his height, speed and man-­cover talent is undeniable. Robinson has the traits and talent to be considered one of the best press corners in this draft, but teams will have to weigh the character against the talent. Look for an electric combine which could create new buzz around the former LSU Tiger. Robinson has the raw ability to become a good NFL starter who can play on an island if asked, but I am downgrading his draft grade due to his character concerns.

In terms of numbers, he’s actually been the unit’s best performer, and has allowed just 17 receptions for 223 yards from his 34 targets, with just 34 of those yards coming after the catch. On average, he’s allowed 0.91 yards per coverage snap and a passer rating of just 79.2 on throws into his coverage, both team highs, which rank 40th and 35th of 109 cornerbacks, respectively. However, he’s killed his team when it comes to penalties, and has been called for nine infractions for 93 yards through eight weeks.

Per PFF. Penalties were a problem for him last year as well, but I was a fan of him coming out of the draft and I remember reading the Jets were fond of him as well. If we can coach the penalties out of him, could be a very savvy move. Only 22 years old. 

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Can he play safety?

Not a chance. 

He is extremely long, could use a little more bulk on his frame. Extremely natural cover corner with good hands and hips. 

He has a bit of a an attitude though, during the preseason he got burned a couple times, had a big penalty, looked terrible and then got a lucky interception and celebrated like he just won the Superbowl. 

He isn't a very good tackler and doesn't play good team defense. 

Extremely high ceiling. He could be one of the best cover corners in the NFL if he gets his head on straight. He was a fan favorite last season when he was used right. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Not a chance. 

He is extremely long, could use a little more bulk on his frame. Extremely natural cover corner with good hands and hips. 

He has a bit of a an attitude though, during the preseason he got burned a couple times, had a big penalty, looked terrible and then got a lucky interception and celebrated like he just won the Superbowl. 

He isn't a very good tackler and doesn't play good team defense. 

Extremely high ceiling. He could be one of the best cover corners in the NFL if he gets his head on straight. He was a fan favorite last season when he was used right. 

Like I said, can be a very savvy move. I like the state of our locker room and our current staff has done a great job of conditioning players and also getting their heads on straight. I think in terms of pure cover ability, he’s already our 2nd best corner (not saying much), but I like compiling a lot of these young talented corners and letting Bowles/Wilson develop them. 

Coach him up quickly and telling him to follow Kelvin Benjamin around tomorrow and see what happens.  Love the upside here.  Playing CB is a tough assignment for young CB's.  It's typically one of the harder positions to transition to from college.  Can't wait to see him up close on Thursday.  At this point I hope they give Derrick Jones  real chance.  Burris has been a disappointment taking that next step from flashing to consistent.  Jones is raw but far more talented overall than Burris so I'd love to see what a tandem of Robinson and Jones can do down the stretch of this season. 

So does this protect us in case we cannot re-sign Claiborne? I would love to be able to re-sign Claiborne and have him and Robinson as our starters on the outside, and then figure out which one of Burris, Roberts or Jones is best utilized as our top slot corner. 

I like the move. This further increased the chances of drafting either 3 offensive players in the first two rounds, or 2 offensive players and an edge rusher (in both scenarios, a QB would be picked somewhere in there).

I like it.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

At 175 pounds and when we just drafted 2???? Why the heck would we want him to play safety?

We also drafted two CBs, have an UDFA on our roster plus Burris from the previous year and Roberts from 2015. 

I don’t think Robinson can even play the slot. According to the attached his 3cone and short shuffle time were slower than that of a 295 Defensive Lineman we also just signed.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/10/31/16588140/jets-fun-fact-xavier-cooper-is-quicker-than-rashard-robinson

7 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

We also drafted two CBs, have an UDFA on our roster plus Burris from the previous year and Roberts from 2015. 

I don’t think Robinson can even play the slot. According to the attached his 3cone and short shuffle time were slower than that of a 295 Defensive Lineman we also just signed.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/10/31/16588140/jets-fun-fact-xavier-cooper-is-quicker-than-rashard-robinson

yeah and neither of them play this year and burris absolutely sucks.

Archived