BDL 2021 Week 12 - Camden Hood Rats @ Lancaster Werewolves

Whicker

Camden Hood Rats @ Lancaster Werewolves  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Camden Hood Rats
    • Lancaster Werewolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/2021 at 05:00 AM

BDL 2021 Week 12

Match:  Camden Hood Rats @ Lancaster Werewolves

Away Owner:      @Jlash

Home Owner:      @rackcs

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

QB- Matt Ryan
RB- Austin Ekeler
WR- Mike Evans
WR- Cooper Kupp
TE- Zach Ertz
TE- Gerald Everett
LT- Isaiah Wynn
LG- Cody Whitehair
C- JC Tretter
RG- Kevin Zeitler
RT- Orlando Brown Jr
WR- Nico Collins
TE- Harrison Bryant
OL- George Fant
OL- Ben Cleveland
QB- Baker Mayfield

DE- Josh Allen
DT- DJ Reader
DT- Poona Ford
DE- Yannick Ngakoue
LB- Darius Leonard
LB- Drue Tranquill
CB- Denzel Ward
CB- L'Jarius Sneed
CB- CJ Henderson
S- Justin Simmons
S- Justin Reid
DE- Ryan Kerrigan
DL- Osa Odighizuwa
DL- Maliek Collins
LB- Quincy Williams
S- Amani Hooker

QB: Taylor Heinicke

RB: Miles Sanders

WR: Michael Pittman Jr.

WR: Diontae Johnson

WR: Curtis Samuel (Q)

TE: Eric Ebron

LT: Jason Peters

LG: Quenton Nelson

😄 Garrett Bradbury

RG: Robert Hunt

RT: James Hurst

RB: Leonard Fournette

RB: AJ Dillon

RB: Giovani Bernard

TE/FB: Anthony Firkser

WR: Quez Watkins

WR: Denzel Mims

OL: Ereck Flowers (Q)

OL: Matt Peart

DE: Joey Bosa

DT: Kenny Clark

DT: Justin Madubuike

DE: TJ Watt

LB: Bobby Wagner

LB: Fred Warner (D)

CB: Jalen Ramsey

CB: Xavier Rhodes

CB: Kevin King

FS: Logan Ryan

SS: Vonn Bell

EDGE: Julian Okwara

INT: Linval Joseph

LB: Willie Gay Jr.

LB: CJ Mosley

CB: Kindle Vildor

CB: David Long Jr. (Q)

S/LB: Jonathan Abram

S: Taylor Rapp

Offense
Today is a massive game for us and we go against one of the better owners and game planners in the league and we know it's just as important for them as it is for us. We believe our best bet against a strong defense today is a balanced approach that allows our QB to get comfortable behind a running game so we can work our way down the field with our playmakers, not allowing the defense to key in on any area alone.

Run game to set everything up- Lancaster has great pass rushers, and we know a tried and true way to neutralize and slow those guys down is in the run game. So today we'll come out in a 2 TE set and use both Ekeler and Harris to attack a front 7 missing one of it's better defenders in Warner. We'll use a lot of combo blocks on the interior to disrupt the big boys (mostly Clark) on the interior and get our lineman out to the 2nd level quicker. Our TE's will help seal the edges on outside runs. We think we can have enough success with Ekeler and Harris that the defense is going to be forced to put extra defenders in the box and that's when the plan comes together. We'll even have some plays where a TE comes off and Ben Cleveland comes in at FB for short yardage bangers.

Misdirection daggers- With our first phase enabled, this will open up a world of misdirection and playaction plays for us to attack through the air. Here are some ways we're going to use the defenses aggression and attention to the run game against them to throw the ball.
      - TE's will look to be chipping on a crashing DE, but instead can break off into seam routes straight down the field or act as safety valves on quick short routes. If Lancaster plays a lot of cover 2 expect a healthy dose of seam routes.
      - Screens and delays to Ekeler and Harris. Ekeler is a fantastic receiver so expect a bunch of plays getting him the ball through the air after a play action set up.

- With Evans and Kupp our primary pass catchers, we know they can do damage regardless, but if we can get defenders biting on the run game we may be able to do some work over the middle with Kupp on the PA passes. Expect some double moves on pump fakes if Lancaster plans on jumping quick routes or pressing at the line today. Aside from Ramsey, we think our WR's can get open on these corners. We'll run 3 WR sets about 50% of the time so we know we're going to get some opportunities through the air today. 

Defense (Cover 1 robber base with funnel concepts)
This week going against either Goff or Lock the goal is the same, force them to beat us. We know both guys are prone to turnovers (both have more TO's than TD's this year) so we want to take away any semblance of a run game and make the QB be the star of the show.

Robber's role- Most times we use a robber we use them as a jack of all trades, and today we'll still allow that player (either LB or S) to move around but more importantly it will always give us an extra defender in the box to stop Lenny or Dillon. Lancaster's best bet is to get a ground game going, and we think with our already strong run D, adding another defender into the box will cause some issues. The way we rotate our robber should also give the Lancaster QB fits in the pass game as he can't key on which player is the free player on any given down until he's already snapped the ball, and we know either QB doesn't process post snap all that well. 

Funnel Concepts- I did this one other week where I wanted to key on the run game but allow my defense to remain versatile in hiding the robber. Here is a quick snap of how the funnel works:
YczuY2dRdchXIKLu3IMBOP0VzzVja9G84R2YBDXz

So in both of Lancasters main sets, we have the ability to switch defenders depending on what way the RB is lined up, goes post snap, and which S we have designated as the robber on that play. It allows us to realistically move that responsibility between 4 players all while having another man in the box at the snap.

Get after Goff- We know Lancaster has a solid WR group with getting Samuel back, but we won't do anything fancy in coverage other than shading that deep safety to Pittmans side for the most part. But we will send that robber on plenty of blitzes and work lots of stunts in on our defensive line is passing situations. We think we have a big advantage against their tackles so we think pressure will come naturally, but we always want to mix things up.  On obvious run downs we'll sub Osa in for Yannick to give us some more beef on the edge, but expect our ends to be getting after it today.

Lancaster Motivation:

This is probably the most important single week in Lancaster’s short history and we’re treating it as such. In order to make the playoffs, we have to win this game. It’s as simple as that. We’ve approached this game with the blue collar grittiness of our new starting QB Taylor Heinicke. He’s been able to make this team his in such a short amount of time, turning this into a real scrappy gym rat of a team. And we’re gonna scrap and claw our way to a win against Camden.

Lancaster Offensive Strategy:

We want to go with a pretty balanced approach this game with a slight lean towards the running game. We want to wear out this defense by running up tempo and attacking them in a variety of ways. We hope that this will keep the defense guessing and lead to some mistakes. We want to mix up our runs and passes a lot to do this.

In the run game, we’re going to be mixing in all of our guys a good amount to keep them all fresh and utilize all of their talents. We’ll be using Miles Sanders to attack the edges, where we think we can have some success running the ball. We’ll hit him on some tosses. We’ll also be using him a lot in the passing game, using screens as well as occasionally flexing him out wide and using him as a receiver, particularly if Curtis Samuel can’t play. Leonard Fournette and AJ Dillon we want to run straight at the defensive ends or up the gut to just pound the line and wear them out. Dillon will also be utilized in the passing game where he has shown surprising ability. Firkser will be subbing in for Ebron or as a FB or second TE in place of a WR about a third of the time to utilize him as a blocker.

Another wrinkle we want to add is to run some 2 RB shotgun sets a decent amount. This is because we feel we have a talented stable of running backs and it would be advantageous to us to get more than one on the field at a time. Also, by taking a WR (usually) off the field for another RB, we’re going to force Camden to take corners off the field or have them potentially be a liability against the run. Mainly in this formation it will be Sanders and Dillon because both offer a lot as receivers as well as runners. In this formation sometimes we’ll flex Sanders out wide and leave just Dillon in the backfield, sometimes both will operate as receivers out of the backfield. We will handoff and also do some option stuff. Heinicke is not a dual threat guy on the level of like Lamar Jackson, but he can scramble and fight for yards. So we’ll use him as a runner as well. Again, it’s all about putting out different looks and keeping the defense on their toes so they can’t key in on any one thing.

When it comes to the passing game we also want to spread the ball around and stop the defense from keying in on one guy too much. We want to attack all levels of the field with our guys. Diontae will get targets primarily in the short and intermediate parts of the field with a few deep shots. We want to take advantage of his shiftiness and ability to gain yards after the catch. He’ll get a few screen shots as well. Michael Pittman will be seeing a lot of targets intermediate and deep with some curls and posts and things like that which will allow him to use his frame to box guys out. If Curtis Samuels plays, he’ll be seeing a somewhat limited workload where Watkins will sub in a decent amount. Samuels will be used similarly to Diontae. Watkins will be used similarly as well but with a few more deep shots. We’ll sprinkle in a little bit of 4 WR sets but also we’ll be doing a lot of 2 WR sets with the 2 RBs to keep Camden’s corners off the field a bit more.

Lancaster Defensive Strategy:

Camden’s offense presents a very, very interesting matchup. Their offensive weapons are crazy and can be tough to defend, but who is going to be their QB? Luckily Fields is doubtful this week so we don’t have to worry about his legs. This leaves Matt Ryan, Baker Mayfield, and Sam Darnold as options. Darnold’s almost certainly not it. I lean Mayfield but it doesn’t matter too much as the way we’re going to defend Ryan or Mayfield is going to be pretty much the same. We’re going to mix zone and man looks to confuse the QB and hopefully force some errors. We also want to put pressure on the QB and force him into tough throws.

When we play man, Ramsey will cover Evans, Rhodes will cover Brown, and King will cover Kupp. Ertz will be covered by Warner if he plays, Wagner if he doesn’t. And Ekeler will be covered by Bell playing up in the box. Ryan will be playing a deep zone in these man situations. If Warner doesn’t play, then Willie Gay Jr. and Jonathan Abram will both see some run next to Wagner. They’ll be utilized in a variety of roles, playing a shallow zone, blitzing, or helping double up on Ertz or Ekeler. If Warner does play and draws the coverage on Ertz, then Wagner will play those roles.

When we do zone coverage, it’ll be mostly cover 3 with Ramsey, Ryan, and King as the deep three guys and Wagner, Bell, Rhodes, and Warner (or Gay/Abrams if he doesn’t play) as the underneath guys. We’ll do some cover 4 with Rhodes joining the others on the deep end. In zone, we want to mix in some blitzes from different positions where the QB won’t be able to see them coming. On these blitzes we will have a slight preference for blitzing on Orlando Brown’s side as he’s struggled a bit this season.

Finally, we want to put pressure on the QB and we’ll do that primarily with our elite DL group. Watt, Bosa, and Clark should be able to find pretty of success even against a solid OL. Orlando Brown has not looked great this year so we think the matchup with Watt should be especially good for us.

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

man, this one is tough.  Lancaster pays zero attention to the run while Camden is playing cover one man the whole game despite saying the opposing team's qb has difficulty processing defenses

He also prepared for two wrong QBs (Goff and Lock) and Heinicke isn't a moron like the two of them so I expect more success against the pass than Camden thinks. Just my take.

As for the run game stuff, we're playing majority cover 3 this game so we'll have more people playing close to the line. Plus we trust our dominant DL to be a force against the run itself. So while we didn't explicitly cover the run game on defense, we've got a great DL and we're playing with four guys in zones underneath for much of the game.

Edited by rackcs

27 minutes ago, rackcs said:

He also prepared for two wrong QBs (Goff and Lock) and Heinicke isn't a moron like the two of them so I expect more success against the pass than Camden thinks. Just my take.

In fairness, when I started my game planning Tuesday (before my trip to florida got canned) I didn't even know Heinicke was on your team. Somehow I missed that on the roster sheet. Wouldn't really change my game plan though, I still think the run game would be your best bet and I'm happy I planned to stop it.

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

what it comes down to for me is that Lancaster has Kevin King assigned Cooper Kupp in three wide, King was inactive Packers last game so that falls to Kindle Vitor?  I guess.  Thats no bueno.  

Camden 24-17

Well no. With Brown out, Kupp would be covered by Rhodes, and then King would take the third guy in 3 wide.