Stupid, but fun draft simulator draft

LionArkie

Using the PFN draft simulator, this was my haul
Traded # 1 to Atlanta for #8, 43, 61, 74, 2023 Second round pick (Car selected Aidan Hutchison DE, MI)

Traded #8 to Carolina for #9 and 2023 Second round pick (Carolina Selected DeMarvin Leal DT, Texas A&M)

Traded #9 and pick 180 to Minnesota for #10 and 2023 second round pick (I was targeting George Karlaftis, but MN took him)

Traded #33 to Carolina for pick 104 and 2023 1st round pick (Carolina Selected Malik Willis)

Traded pick 104 and 236 to Philadelphia for 114 and 155 (Philadelphia selected Jalen Catalon)

Pick #10 Derek Stingley Jr CB, LSU

Pick #24 Treylon Burks WR, AR

pick #43 Perrion Winifrey DT, OK

pick #61 (from ATL) Arnold Ebiketie Edge, PSU

pick #65 Jalen Tolbert WR, South Alabama

pick #74 (from ATL) Will Levis QB, KY

pick #98 Bernhard Raimann OT, Central Michigan

pick #114 Brian Asamoah II LB, OK

2023 Carolina 1st

2023 Carolina 2nd

2023 Minnesota 2nd

2023 Atlanta 2nd

I passed up on some talent to build draft capital for the following year. I've played around with this several times now and all the trades offered are the same every time for the first pick. In the end and in real life, I don't know if I would do this and pass on the higher end talent. We get a lot in return, but with bust rates I think I would rather do something along the lines of Hutchison, Burks, and Brandon Smith for my top 3. If I could have landed Karlaftis like I was trying to do, I would have felt better about this. Getting Carolinas first feels good though.

Why does PFN exist lol.

Raimann a first rounder

Tolbert put up amazing numbers but small school. I think he goes in 2nd with Sky from Western. (my favorite two lowkey smallschool guys) (I went with Sky Moore in my Madden Mock franchise I have been playing)

Stingley at 10???? Feel he goes top 4 but im no Nostradamus lol

I dont like Perrion really too much

Feel Arnold goes top 45

Burks isnt bad but the worst out of like 6-8 others imo

Id rather London, Garrett, Moore, J. Williams, Olave, Metchie, Dotson. Then Burks. (Funny thing is I have Burks on my Madden team and had no clue who he was like 6-8 months ago when I drafted him. Funny he was a 6th rd pick then. Great for him though to be a potential 1st. 

I think this team needs talent now. There wont be a next year after next year if they cant bring fans in the seats cause everyone is like ehh yeah next year. I think we get a statement defense player. We need a LB to take over Anzalone eventually. 

Do you guys think we go 2 WR in the draft this year? or 1? Always stinks contract time if both did well. One probably moves on. 

• Like 1

I'm not a contract person, but I think if we take a WR at 24 they get that 5th year option. But maybe I'm wrong on that? Then you could go 24 fifth year option and other position new contract in 4th year. Of all the things I'd be worried about with this team, that wouldn't be one of them. Passing game has held us back more than anything this year, imo. I think we go 2 WR this year. Unless someone falls I'd be surprised if 24 doesn't end up being a WR.  If I did go back to back WR in a mock, that wouldn't take into consideration any free agent signings as well.

Stingley at 10? I agree he will probably be in the top 10 but weirder things have happened, i.e., Rogers at 24 when he was argued at being 1 overall.

A lot of those receivers you listed were already gone. Dotson was always going in the second and I was going to go back to back with Burks and Dotson, but he got picked up. Trading from 33 and only having 43 made me miss out on Dotson and LB Smith from PSU. But I did pick up a first with the trade from Carolina so I'd probably make that trade again. I didn't like a lot of the other options there at 43 so I went with a DT with upside. When in doubt, go Hog Molly.

I agree the team needs talent now, so doing it in real life I wouldn't trade back from 1 to 8. I want that high end talent.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

Burks isnt bad but the worst out of like 6-8 others imo

Id rather London, Garrett, Moore, J. Williams, Olave, Metchie, Dotson. Then Burks. (Funny thing is I have Burks on my Madden team and had no clue who he was like 6-8 months ago when I drafted him. Funny he was a 6th rd pick then. Great for him though to be a potential 1st. 

Burks is in my top 3. I have London, Burks, Williams, Garrett, Pickens, Metchie*, Olave, Dotson as my top 8, but I also prefer big WRs.

*Metchie just tore his ACL and might stay another year at Alabama to rehab. 

Who is Moore?

I just did one and ended up with the following:

Pick 14 - Garret Wilson, WR Ohio St.

Pick 24 - Nakobe Dean, LB Georgia

Pick 33 - Trent McDuffie - CB Washington

Pick 42 - Jahan Dotson, WR Penn St.

Pick 47 - Brandon Joseph, S Northwestern

Pick 65 - Desmond Ridder, QB Cinci

Pick 74 - Nick Bonito, Edge Oklahoma

Pick 102 - Damone Clarke, LB LSU

Pick 132 - Smoke Monday, S Auburn

Pick 172 - Coby Bryant, CB Cinci

Pick 180 - Cole Strange, OG Chattanooga 

Pick 218 - Gerard Wheeler, OC Tulsa

Pick 219 - Deangelo Malone, Edge Western Kentucky

Pick 236 - Juaquez Ezzard, WR Sam Houston St. 

2023 picks:

Atlanta's 1st

Miami's 2nd

Carolina's 3rd

Miami's 4th

New Orlean's 5th

I just did one.

Trade Details

CAR

Received:

• Pick 1 - Kayvon Thibodeaux
DET

Received:

• Pick 9
  • Pick 104
  • 2023 CAR 2nd
  • 2023 CAR 3rd
  • 2023 CAR 4th

Trade Details

PIT

Received:

• Pick 9 - Matt Corral
DET

Received:

• Pick 18
  • 2023 PIT 1st
  • 2023 PIT 4th

Trade Details

HOU

Received:

• Pick 33 - Lewis Cine
DET

Received:

• Pick 34
  • 2023 HOU 7th

Detroit Lions Draft:

18. Drake London, WR USC

24. Kenny Pickett, QB Pitt

34. Drake Jackson, EDGE USC

65. Brandon Joseph, S Northwestern

98. Chad Muma, LB Wyoming

104. George Pickens, WR Georgia

176. Josh Jobe, CB Alabama

180. Hassan Haskins, RB Michigan

218. Bubba Bolden, S Miami

236. Jack Sanborn, LB Wisconsin

2023 Draft picks: (not counting comp picks)

2023 DET 1st

2023 PIT 1st

2023 LAR 1st

2023 DET 2nd

2023 CAR 2nd

2023 DET 3rd

2023 CAR 3rd

2023 DET 4th

2023 CAR 4th

2023 PIT 4th

2023 DET 5th

2023 DET 6th

2023 DEN 6th

2023 DET 7th

2023 HOU 7th

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

As for the draft, I'm just not a fan of trading back that much. I understand why you did it, and sometimes it's fun just to switch it up, but IRL, I'd be pissed if the Lions did all that just to pass on Kayvon or Hutch for Stingley. 

Yeah, IRL I'd be pissed as well. I'm super high on Hutchison.  He has the skill set and the intangibles to do some great things. I've done this several times now and I always prefer the haul of staying put vs the potential of next years draft. I still might trade #33 for next years first from Carolina. It would depend on who is on board.

• Like 1

No trades draft:

1. Aidan Hutchinson EDGE Michigan- Slight edge over Kayvon for the #1 pick. 

24. Treylon Burks WR Arkansas- Big bodied WR with lots of production. 4 WRs were already off the board by this pick (Garrett, London, Olave, Williams). 

33. Drake Jackson EDGE USC- I doubled up at EDGE with Jackson. Him and Hutch would give us bookends for a long time. Jackson and Okwara can move around and change up the defensive looks for the Lions.

65. Brandon Joseph S Northwestern- I've been beating the safety drum for years now. Our safeties are atrocious. Joseph is one of the top guys in the draft and got him at the top of the 3rd rd. 

98. George Pickens WR Georgia- I doubled up at WR here. It's a glaring need. Reynolds is not signed for next season. Cephus is coming off an IR season. ARSB is a slot receiver. Giving Goff two big WRs to throw to is necessary.

176. Charlie Kolar TE Iowa State- I had three guys available here, but Kolar was the best value, IMO. Solid TE to pair with Hockenson. 

180. Bubba Bolden  S Miami-Fl- Agan, doubling up at a position of need with a player I really like. The young talent Aubrey Pleasant would have to mold is amazing. 

218. Ben Brown OG Mississippi- Ben Brown is a solid seasoned C/G who could plug in between Ragnow/Sewell allowing us to cut Vaitai and save some cap to fill needs. 

236. Jack Sanborn LB Wisconsin- I'm not going to lie. The more I watch of Sanborn, the more I don't understand why he's not higher rated. He doesn't have ideal size. But the guy just plays correctly and tackles the ball. I'm a big fan of LBs who can tackle. It's a novel concept around Detroit, but Wisconsin produces them better than any other school IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

No trades draft:

1. Aidan Hutchinson EDGE Michigan- Slight edge over Kayvon for the #1 pick. 

24. Treylon Burks WR Arkansas- Big bodied WR with lots of production. 4 WRs were already off the board by this pick (Garrett, London, Olave, Williams). 

33. Drake Jackson EDGE USC- I doubled up at EDGE with Jackson. Him and Hutch would give us bookends for a long time. Jackson and Okwara can move around and change up the defensive looks for the Lions.

65. Brandon Joseph S Northwestern- I've been beating the safety drum for years now. Our safeties are atrocious. Joseph is one of the top guys in the draft and got him at the top of the 3rd rd. 

98. George Pickens WR Georgia- I doubled up at WR here. It's a glaring need. Reynolds is not signed for next season. Cephus is coming off an IR season. ARSB is a slot receiver. Giving Goff two big WRs to throw to is necessary.

176. Charlie Kolar TE Iowa State- I had three guys available here, but Kolar was the best value, IMO. Solid TE to pair with Hockenson. 

180. Bubba Bolden  S Miami-Fl- Agan, doubling up at a position of need with a player I really like. The young talent Aubrey Pleasant would have to mold is amazing. 

218. Ben Brown OG Mississippi- Ben Brown is a solid seasoned C/G who could plug in between Ragnow/Sewell allowing us to cut Vaitai and save some cap to fill needs. 

236. Jack Sanborn LB Wisconsin- I'm not going to lie. The more I watch of Sanborn, the more I don't understand why he's not higher rated. He doesn't have ideal size. But the guy just plays correctly and tackles the ball. I'm a big fan of LBs who can tackle. It's a novel concept around Detroit, but Wisconsin produces them better than any other school IMO. 

I like this draft a lot. I like the Sanborn pick, but I think before the dust settles uou will see him go higher. I think in every draft I did, I had Hutch and Burks when I stay put. Your draft looks very similar to the ones I did when I would not trade down with the exception of me not doubling up on Edge.

Here are a couple 3 rounders I have done without trading.  

1. Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE Michigan

24. Ahmad Gardner, CB Cincinnati

33. Tyler Linderbaum, OC Iowa

65. Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada

98. Damone Clark, LB LSU

I actually like this a lot.  Linderbaum would play OG, adds a solid Edge, CB and LB.  I know its missing an elite WR but would hope to sign one as well.  I passed on Ojabo for Gardner.  It would have been ok too to grab Ojabo there and keep the super talented pass rushing duo together since we don't know how Okwara will respond. 

1. Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE Michigan

24. Nakobe Dean, LB Georgia

33. Ahmad Gardner, CB Cincinnati

65. Kenny Pickett, QB Pittsburgh

98. George Pickens, WR Georgia

I dont see any way Pickett falls to the 3rd but would be all for him there.  I love Dean and even though WR is a need, I would still take Dean over Burks. I could have went Dotson at 33 but again, I love the value on Gardner there.  

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE Oregon

24. Jordan Davis, DT Georgia

33. Nakobe Dean, LB Georgia

65. Brandon Joseph, S Northwestern

98. Wan'Dale Robinson, WR Kentucky

This is an odd one where BPA was too hard to pass up.  Davis will replace Brockers and a young line of Davis, Alim, Levi in the future will be nice IMO.  Especially with Kayvon/Hutch coming off the edges. Then adding Dean to be a playmaking, pass rushing, TE covering do it all LB would help dramatically.  I could have went a bunch of different routes at 65 but Joseph seemed too good and would sure up the back end.  Felt I had to go WR in the 3rd and you could take your pick of Robinson, Metchie, and Pickens in this simulator, but most will be gone by then.  

Your last one is sick. If we could land Davis at 24 I'd be ecstatic.  Dean and Joseph round our first 4 very nicely.

I like the one with Pickett at 65, but I don't see any way that happens. I think he is going to be the first qb taken when it is all said and done.

• Like 1

I blame you @LionArkie for this.

• #9 Derek Stingley, CB, LSU
  • #24 Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
  • #33 Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC
  • #61 Jordan Battle, S, Alabama
  • #65 Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati 
  • #74 Sean Rhyan, OT, UCLA
  • #98 Erik Ezukanma, WR, Texas Tech
  • #176 Charleston Rambo, WR, Miami
  • #180 Hassan Haskins, RB, Michigan
  • #218 Greg Dulcich, TE, UCLA