Stupid, but fun draft simulator draft

LionArkie

This just happened in my PFF Sim. So what I'm saying is, this is gonna happen on draft day. 

Note: traded away '23 Rams 1st, '23 Lions 2nd/4th to make this all happen.

• team logo
    pfn-logo-black

ROUND 1

• JAX
      Evan Neal
      OT Alabama

• HOU
      Andrew Booth Jr.
      CB Clemson
      trade icon
    • DET
      Aidan Hutchinson
      EDGE Michigan
      trade icon
    • NYJ
      Kyle Hamilton
      S Notre Dame

• NYG
      George Karlaftis
      EDGE Purdue

• CAR
      Matt Corral
      QB Mississippi

• NYG
      Kenyon Green
      OG/OT Texas A&M

• DET
      Kayvon Thibodeaux
      EDGE Oregon
      trade icon
  • DET
    DeMarvin Leal
    DL Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • DET
    Malik Willis
    QB Liberty

• DET
    Justyn Ross
    WR Clemson
    trade icon
  • DET
    Coby Bryant
    CB Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • DET
    Yusuf Corker
    S Kentucky
    trade icon
  • DET
    James Cook
    RB Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Chasen Hines
    OG LSU
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jamaree Salyer
    OT/OG Georgia

• DET
    Charlie Kolar
    TE Iowa State

• DET
    Marcus Jones
    CB/KR/PR Houston
    trade icon
  • DET
    Nick Broeker
    OT/OG Mississippi
    trade icon
  • DET
    Ellis Brooks
    LB Penn State
Edited by NudeTayne

16 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

This just happened in my PFF Sim. So what I'm saying is, this is gonna happen on draft day. 

Note: traded away '23 Rams 1st, '23 Lions 2nd/4th to make this all happen.

• team logo
    pfn-logo-black

ROUND 1

• JAX
      Evan Neal
      OT Alabama

• HOU
      Andrew Booth Jr.
      CB Clemson
      trade icon
    • DET
      Aidan Hutchinson
      EDGE Michigan
      trade icon
    • NYJ
      Kyle Hamilton
      S Notre Dame

• NYG
      George Karlaftis
      EDGE Purdue

• CAR
      Matt Corral
      QB Mississippi

• NYG
      Kenyon Green
      OG/OT Texas A&M

• DET
      Kayvon Thibodeaux
      EDGE Oregon
      trade icon
  • DET
    DeMarvin Leal
    DL Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • DET
    Malik Willis
    QB Liberty

• DET
    Justyn Ross
    WR Clemson
    trade icon
  • DET
    Coby Bryant
    CB Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • DET
    Yusuf Corker
    S Kentucky
    trade icon
  • DET
    James Cook
    RB Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Chasen Hines
    OG LSU
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jamaree Salyer
    OT/OG Georgia

• DET
    Charlie Kolar
    TE Iowa State

• DET
    Marcus Jones
    CB/KR/PR Houston
    trade icon
  • DET
    Nick Broeker
    OT/OG Mississippi
    trade icon
  • DET
    Ellis Brooks
    LB Penn State

I'd have to imagine the Lions would take Willis at bottom of the 1st to get the 5th year option if he was someone they wanted to draft in that general area. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd have to imagine the Lions would take Willis at bottom of the 1st to get the 5th year option if he was someone they wanted to draft in that general area. 

Good point. Imagine he went 31 and the Lions traded away a future 5th and 7th as well for those three extra spots 😎. That's what is going to happen on draft day.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Good point. Imagine he went 31 and the Lions traded away a future 5th and 7th as well for those three extra spots 😎. That's what is going to happen on draft day.

I kind of missed that we got both Hutch and Thibs at #3 and #8 respectively. Let's pretend that he does fall - I don't know/expect the Lions would really entertain trading up to get him. 

1) Hutch: He'd have been identified as their preferred guy for different reasons and would be comfortable taking him there

2) Other OLB/DE's on the roster: We have several options that won't be as costly - Romeo Okwara, Julian Okwara, Charles Harris, Austin Bryant, Trey Flowers. Throw Hutch into the mix with the Okwara's and Harris, you've got a pretty decent 2 deep group. You can absolutely draft someone else and add to this mix but are you going to get much more by trading up for Hutch than a guy who could be there at 34? 

3) Dropping for a reason: For a guy projected to be the #1 overall player, if he's dropping to #8 it's for a reason. Medical, interviews, questions on effort, etc. Something is causing him to slide and I don't know if I want to jump up take him. If you're giving up all that draft capital, you're just compounding the issue. Draft picks are already 50/50. It would be a super ballsy move from Holmes and Campbell and I don't know if they've built up the clout to do that at this point. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I kind of missed that we got both Hutch and Thibs at #3 and #8 respectively. Let's pretend that he does fall - I don't know/expect the Lions would really entertain trading up to get him. 

I appreciate the well thought-out response to probably more of a fluke of a pff draft 😃. Your points are solid ones. That said, since we're playing in the realm of fantastical scenarios, I'll offer some counterpoints to consider if the draft went this way:

1) Hutch: He'd have been identified as their preferred guy for different reasons and would be comfortable taking him there

(1) Hutch. If indeed something causes Thib to drop a bit, Hutch would probably be the only pick looked at there (or Hamilton, though I am guessing they would go with Hutch there).

2) Other OLB/DE's on the roster: We have several options that won't be as costly - Romeo Okwara, Julian Okwara, Charles Harris, Austin Bryant, Trey Flowers. Throw Hutch into the mix with the Okwara's and Harris, you've got a pretty decent 2 deep group. You can absolutely draft someone else and add to this mix but are you going to get much more by trading up for Hutch than a guy who could be there at 34? 

(2) So maybe this is where it gets interesting in how the defense is operated, but...I could see Hutch gaining 10-15 pounds and playing 3-4 DE in this scenario. His comp to some is JJ Watt so this seems possible with his frame. He could play around 290 even, as I wanna say he's at least 275 right now. This would enable one of the edge starters to keep starting alongside Thib. And I do think Hutch will be much better than what is there at 34, fwiw.

3) Dropping for a reason: For a guy projected to be the #1 overall player, if he's dropping to #8 it's for a reason. Medical, interviews, questions on effort, etc. Something is causing him to slide and I don't know if I want to jump up take him. If you're giving up all that draft capital, you're just compounding the issue. Draft picks are already 50/50. It would be a super ballsy move from Holmes and Campbell and I don't know if they've built up the clout to do that at this point. 

(3) If there is a major red flag, I wouldn't touch him, but it could be something as simple as him not participating in the combine and needing to start the season on PUP if he's not all healed up. There are 5-7 blue chips in this draft, as well as just about every year a QB sneaks into the top-10--Pickett? 🤔--who no one sees coming. If 1-2 QBs are off the board and a surprise pick or two (an OT, QB, EDGE, CB goes a little higher perhaps?) then I could see him falling here without it being an indictment on him being a viable option.

Edited by NudeTayne

What would y'all think of this one? In this scenario, the Lions trade the Rams '23 1st (almost a lock to make the playoffs next season) for value 34, as well as the 6th rounder from Denver in order to move for pick 32 to grab a QB.

As I really like this draft class, I traded away the Lions 3rd & 4th for good value ('23 3rd gets 96, 4th gets 130 this year--pretty good return on future picks and also seems realistic). I like this as a draft to stock up players to develop. Also, I aligned where I think these defenders would play in a 3-4. I could see grabbing several edge rushers, as I believe there will be a youth movement at that position on the Lions. 

• DET
    Aidan Hutchinson
    34DE Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET
    Garrett Wilson
    WR Ohio State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Ikem Ekwonu
    OG/OT North Carolina State

• DET
    Malik Willis
    QB Liberty
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jermaine Johnson
    34OLB Florida State
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jordan Battle
    S Alabama
    trade icon
  • DET
    Nik Bonitto
    34OLB Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • DET
    Bailey Zappe
    QB Western Kentucky
    trade icon
  • DET
    Coby Bryant
    CB Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jerome Ford
    RB Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • DET
    Jamaree Salyer
    OG/OT Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Isaiah Pola-Mao
    S/NLB USC
    trade icon
  • DET
    Brian Robinson Jr.
    RB/FB Alabama
    trade icon
  • DET
    Nick Broeker
    OG/OT Mississippi
    trade icon
  • DET
    Christopher Allen
    EDGE Alabama

Thats a lot of trades, and nets us a ton of players which I am all for but it seems unrealistic.  I like the players drafted, although it may be a couple too many edge 3/4 OLB types.  I think putting Hutch with his hand in the dirt as a 3-4 DE we are wasting his talent.  He is a late 1st round pick at DE and a top 2 pick at OLB.  If we draft him at 2, I would not be happy seeing him at DE, especially because he would need to bulk up another 15 lbs and then likely would lose some explosiveness. 

3. Aidan Hutchinson EDGE Michigan

28. Devin Lloyd LB Utah

40. Kenny Pickett QB Pittsburgh

60. Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama

66. Brandon Smith LB Penn State

68. George Pickens WR Georgia

75. Coby Bryant CB Cincinnati

105. Wan'Dale Robinson WR Kentucky

141. Cole Strange OG Chattanooga

218. D.J. Davidson DT Arizona State

2023 HOU 2nd

2023 MIA 2nd

2023 DEN 3rd

2023 CAR 5th

PFN seems to always offer this dumb trade for Houston to move up one spot.  This is what I came up with accepting that trade.  If only we could make this happen and have 2 first round picks, 3 second and 2 thirds and fifths next year on top of this.  We get a QBOF, I am guessing we get two solid WRs of the group, LB is much better, Bryant is a very solid CB for competition. Go sign Marcus Williams and boom, we are competing. 

• Like 2

I was offered 5 and 7 for #2 (not going to happen) then was offered #13 and #44 for #7. I ended up with this:

• 5) Kayvon Thibedeaux Edge Oregon
  • 13) Devin Loyd LB Utah
  • 28) Jaquan Brisker S PSU
  • 34) Perrion Winifrey DT OK
  • 44) Kenny Pickett QB Pitt
  • 66) Brandon Smith LB PSU
  • 105) Erik Ezukanma WR Texas Tech
  • 143) Josh Jobe CB Alabama

Defense heavy, I was really looking for a WR in round 2-3, but I just found talent I liked better. I wanted to emphasize building the defense and picking up a backup qb/developmental qb. I would like a draft similar to this (for positions) with the exception of adding either a earlier WR or picking one up in FA. If we could grab one in FA, I would love a draft like this (even if you remove the trades) from a position standpoint.

In the actual 2022 draft, I think I would much rather like to see them load up on defense, and build quality depth.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Homer draft:

• DET
    Aidan Hutchinson
    DE Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET
    David Ojabo
    EDGE Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET
    Treylon Burks
    WR Arkansas

• DET
    Daxton Hill
    S Michigan
    trade icon
  • DET

Trent McDuffie
    CB Washington
    trade icon
  • DET
    David Bell
    WR Purdue
    trade icon
  • DET
    Roger McCreary
    CB Auburn
    trade icon
  • DET
    Verone McKinley
    S Oregon

• DET
    Channing Tindall
    LB Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Bailey Zappe
    QB Western Kentucky
    trade icon
  • DET
    Matthew Butler
    NT Tennessee
    trade icon
  • DET
    Zamir White
    RB Georgia
    trade icon
Edited by NudeTayne

• 2 weeks later...

Just did one on PFF.  Definitely could get behind this if these guys fall, especially with a free agent WR or two, but I do really like the guys I drafted here. 

1.2 - Aiden Hutchinson, Edge - UM; Obvious need and talent.  Would be ok with he or Kayvon here if though some word has come out that Kayvon is dropping some, I have them close with Hutch the safer pick, Kayvon the higher ceiling but the lower floor. 

1.32 - Devin Lloyd, LB - Utah; Need some ILB help and although I dont think he will be there, I would jump all over it if he is. 

2.34 - Devonte Wyatt, DL - Georgia; I know we added some DL last year but I think continuing to build the trenches goes a long way.  If they develop, a line of Levi, Alim, and Wyatt would be solid in a couple of years.  

3.66 - Jalen Pitre, S/CB - Baylor; We definitely need some help at S and slot CB.  Pitre can play both.  Solid against the run, solid in coverage, would be an upgrade to our nickel/dime defense. 

3.101 - Kerby Joseph, S - Illinois; Our S play was bad last year.  Walker had a good start but fluttered down the stretch.  Even if we resign Walker adding Joseph and Pitre will be huge in improving the back lines of our defense. 

5.175 - Christian Watson, WR - ND State; I dont think he lasts this long but again a great fit at a big need. 

6.180 - Dai'Jean Dixon, WR - Nicholls St; Another big WR from a small school.  I like his game and think he will have a good year.  Both WRs are small school guys so would definitely want a free agent vet to be our #1/2 along with ARSB. 

6.216 - Jason Poe, IOL - Mercer; Just added depth at the guard spots. 

7.219 - Matt Arizia, P - San Diego St; Not likely there, not a need but he is exciting as a Punter and would be cheaper and longer term for us.  

7.230 - Markquese Bell, S - Florida A&M; More depth on the back end.  Another S I really like and would be worth a flier in the last round. 

I decided no trades for this mock. 

2. Aidan Hutchinson EDGE Michigan- BPA for me. Sets the EDGE. Build front to back. 

32. Malik Willis QB Liberty- I've always said, I want BPA. With all my WRs, Ss, LBs off the board here, Willis was my BPA.

34. Romeo Doubs WR Nevada- I keep going back on forth on Doubs. But i was deciding between him and S Lewis Cine here and I like Doubs a little more value wise.

66. George Pickens WR Georgia- I want to double up on WRs in this draft. I like a number of guys and Pickens is one of those guys. If he hadn't gotten injured, I think he would have been a first rd pick. He's the big bodied receiver our offense lacks.

97. Kerby Joseph S Illinois- The more tape I watch of Joseph, the more I like. I was okay taking Doubs over Cine because I really like Joseph. He'd be a great 3rd rd pick up for our defense. 

177. Jordan Williams DT Virginia Tech- I'm not sold on Onwuzurike. He might still develop, but he's not at a point to be depended on. Jordan Williams gives us another big body up front. Not the pass rusher, but can push the pocket and allow the edge guys to make moves. A stout run defender though. 

180. James Mitchell TE Virginia Tech- James Mitchell is a 6'3" gadget guy. He does it all. He plays RB, FB, returns, can play in the slot. He's a versatile weapon that i think new OC Ben Johnson could use in a variety of roles. 

218. Zander Horvath RB Purdue- More of a FB than RB so far at Purdue, but is another guy that just plays football. He can do a number of things and is big. 

232. Andrew Stueber OG Michigan- A big boy to provide depth in the trenches. 

I used PFN mock draft simulator. This mock was done by a request of a friend to move the Lions down to draft Drake London. That was his only goal, grab Drake London. 

Detroit traded #2 overall to the NY Jets for #4 overall and #10 overall. I don't see the Jets making this move, but they offered the deal to moved up and grabbed Thibodeaux. 

4. Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame- BPA There are debates about how high safeties should be drafted, I think safety is one of the most important positions on the field and Hamilton could be a generational safety. And I don't use that term lightly. 

Lions traded #10 overall to the New Orleans Saints for #18 overall and a 2023 1st rd pick. New Orleans grabbed QB Sam Howell in this mock at #10.

18. Drake London WR USC- London grew up a Lions fan. He loves the Sun God. I wanted him in the 23-28 range until the Rams won the Superbowl and people caught on to just how good London is. 

32. Jermaine Johnson EDGE Florida State- I really like Johnson. Edge is a big need for the Lions, I was debating between him and Burks who was still available but he was my BVA here.

34. Treylon Burks WR Arkansas- Burks was still here at #34. Lions add two huge receivers, my top guys at the position in the draft. This was a no brainer for me. 

66. John Metchie III WR Alabama- I know, I know. 3 receivers. Metchie might be ready by the offseason, but he needs time to heal. He'll get that time with London/Burks, Reynolds, ARSB in front of him. He was solid value here for me. I had to take the gamble. Worse case scenario, he's the third best receiver we drafted in 2022. 

97. Kerby Joseph S Illinois- I know we took Hamilton at #4, and the Lions might sign Marcus Williams, but Kerby is quickly become one of my favorite safety prospects and I think adding depth to this position is ideal. We instantly turn our biggest weakness to a major strength with these three moves.

177. Charlie Kolar TE Iowa State- Solid TE to backup Hockenson. 

180. Josh Jobe CB Alabama- Another DB for Pleasant to develop. 

218. Jack Sanborn LB Wisconsin- One of my favorite late round gems who is gritty and can also play special teams. 

232. Allie Green IV CB Missouri- This was mostly a special teams/depth pick. I like his size and physicality. 

2023 NO 1st

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I used PFN mock draft simulator. This mock was done by a request of a friend to move the Lions down to draft Drake London. That was his only goal, grab Drake London. 

Detroit traded #2 overall to the NY Jets for #4 overall and #10 overall. I don't see the Jets making this move, but they offered the deal to moved up and grabbed Thibodeaux. 

4. Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame- BPA There are debates about how high safeties should be drafted, I think safety is one of the most important positions on the field and Hamilton could be a generational safety. And I don't use that term lightly. 

Lions traded #10 overall to the New Orleans Saints for #18 overall and a 2023 1st rd pick. New Orleans grabbed QB Sam Howell in this mock at #10.

18. Drake London WR USC- London grew up a Lions fan. He loves the Sun God. I wanted him in the 23-28 range until the Rams won the Superbowl and people caught on to just how good London is. 

32. Jermaine Johnson EDGE Florida State- I really like Johnson. Edge is a big need for the Lions, I was debating between him and Burks who was still available but he was my BVA here.

34. Treylon Burks WR Arkansas- Burks was still here at #34. Lions add two huge receivers, my top guys at the position in the draft. This was a no brainer for me. 

66. John Metchie III WR Alabama- I know, I know. 3 receivers. Metchie might be ready by the offseason, but he needs time to heal. He'll get that time with London/Burks, Reynolds, ARSB in front of him. He was solid value here for me. I had to take the gamble. Worse case scenario, he's the third best receiver we drafted in 2022. 

97. Kerby Joseph S Illinois- I know we took Hamilton at #4, and the Lions might sign Marcus Williams, but Kerby is quickly become one of my favorite safety prospects and I think adding depth to this position is ideal. We instantly turn our biggest weakness to a major strength with these three moves.

177. Charlie Kolar TE Iowa State- Solid TE to backup Hockenson. 

180. Josh Jobe CB Alabama- Another DB for Pleasant to develop. 

218. Jack Sanborn LB Wisconsin- One of my favorite late round gems who is gritty and can also play special teams. 

232. Allie Green IV CB Missouri- This was mostly a special teams/depth pick. I like his size and physicality. 

2023 NO 1st

I just did one with a similar trade down and got Kayvon and Hamilton.  That would be a dream. 

• Like 1

Aidan Hutchinson
    EDGE Michigan

• DET
    Nakobe Dean
    LB Georgia

• DET
    Travis Jones
    DT Connecticut
    trade icon
  • DET
    Romeo Doubs