Browns attempted to trade for AJ McCarron, thwarted by NFL front office

pwny

42 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Really don't know what the Browns have against drafting a first round QB.  When did this current management take over?  Because last year they drafted a wide receiver.  Who in their right mind drafts a receiver in the first round when you don't have a quarterback to throw to him? 

Last time I check Myles Garrett is a DE, Jabril Peppers is a S and David Njoku is a TE.

Just now, Wolfhunt said:

Last time I check Myles Garrett is a DE, Jabril Peppers is a S and David Njoku is a TE.

Let me know what you find last time you check last year.  Because last year was 2016.  This year is 2017.  The year the Browns drafted those players was...?  What year did they draft Garrett, Peppers and Njoku?  Check what you're actually saying before you say it.  See if it makes sense. 

On 11/3/2017 at 11:43 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is there no Gatorade in Detroit or something?

That's my point. They'll forget to bring theirs and they'll have to bum it off the Lions, or send a hapless ball boy scrambling to pick it up from the nearest gas station five minutes before game time. Then the ball boy will realize he doesn't have any money. Then he will burst into flames.

9 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Really don't know what the Browns have against drafting a first round QB.  When did this current management take over?  Because last year they drafted a wide receiver.  Who in their right mind drafts a receiver in the first round when you don't have a quarterback to throw to him? 

Well, the only QB they could have taken was Wentz, but they decided to accept Philly's deal instead. I liked Wentz as a prospect, but that was a pretty good return. Especially since Hue's guy was supposedly Jared Goff. And I'm not sure if there's many QBs who would succeed with Cleveland's group of receivers. I mean, a running back is currently Cleveland's leading receiver. As for Coleman, he's been injured both last year and this year. He's shown lots of flashes though and looks like he could be a legit #2 receiver IF he can stay healthy.

I dont blame the Browns for passing on Wentz at all.   People seem to look at these things throw a very narrow lens and dont seem to consider other factors.   First off, Wentz was not some cant miss, slam dunk prospect.   Too often, people act like just because a QB ended up great in a certain situation, they would be great anywhere.   Thats not how it works....which leads to my second point....the Browns were in full on rebuild mode and hardly had anything to support a franchise QB...even a good one.   Im not saying Wentz wouldve been bad in Cleveland, but I sure as hell dont think Wentz would be a 7-1, MVP candidate QB if he was playing in Cleveland right now.    I think he would, at best, have them at 2 or 3 wins right now and people would still be questioning if he was the long term answer in Cleveland.  

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont blame the Browns for passing on Wentz at all.   People seem to look at these things throw a very narrow lens and dont seem to consider other factors.   First off, Wentz was not some cant miss, slam dunk prospect.   Too often, people act like just because a QB ended up great in a certain situation, they would be great anywhere.   Thats not how it works....which leads to my second point....the Browns were in full on rebuild mode and hardly had anything to support a franchise QB...even a good one.   Im not saying Wentz wouldve been bad in Cleveland, but I sure as hell dont think Wentz would be a 7-1, MVP candidate QB if he was playing in Cleveland right now.    I think he would, at best, have them at 2 or 3 wins right now and people would still be questioning if he was the long term answer in Cleveland.  

If it were me, I would have taken Wentz and sat him as a rookie. I think the Browns would have made the wrong move if they took him and forced him onto the field. However, I think when you have a potential franchise QB staring you in the face, you shouldn't kick the can down the road.

Just now, jrry32 said:

If it were me, I would have taken Wentz and sat him as a rookie. I think the Browns would have made the wrong move if they took him and forced him onto the field. However, I think when you have a potential franchise QB staring you in the face, you shouldn't kick the can down the road.

Not that I completely disagree, but I dont know how much difference that wouldve made in how the Browns are doing this year or his long term development.   Not saying it wouldnt make any difference, but I guess I just question the quality of coaching he wouldve gotten in Cleveland compared to the Eagles, and the Browns wouldve been leaning on him alot more.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Not that I completely disagree, but I dont know how much difference that wouldve made in how the Browns are doing this year or his long term development.   Not saying it wouldnt make any difference, but I guess I just question the quality of coaching he wouldve gotten in Cleveland compared to the Eagles, and the Browns wouldve been leaning on him alot more.

The Browns have/had a lot of money. With a potential franchise QB, I think they could have built a functional offense for this year. And that completely changes everything.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Well said. When the trade happened, I was cool with it. But I also would have been perfectly fine with taking Wentz. People say the same thing about us passing on Watson. Maybe it was a mistake, but I highly doubt Watson would look as good when his top receivers are Ricardo Louis and Rashard Higgins instead of DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

The Browns have/had a lot of money. With a potential franchise QB, I think they could have built a functional offense for this year. And that completely changes everything.

That can certainly be argued, but its not a definite.    Like I said, I think the coaching he has gotten in Philly has been very valuable to his progression, and he very well may have not gotten that in Cleveland.   Plus, the Browns wouldve leaned on him more.

Again, I think the Browns would be better of with Wentz at this point, but do I think we would be talking about Wentz the same way we are talking about him now?  No.  

Archived