Diaz out, Cristobal in at Miami

naptownskinsfan

Said it the other thread so I’ll put in here….

I would’ve preferred Kiffin or Aranda for Miami but I’ll take anything over Manny Diaz. Cristobal is a hell of a recruiter and he’ll be going to one of the best talent hotspots in the country. This combined with the rumored AD(Radakovich) and numerous donors saying they're finally willing to contribute to the football probram, things could headed in the right direction. Cristobal will need to knock the coordinator hirings out of the park. Go after Joe Brady. Go after Muschamp. They need to build an awesome staff and show Miami isn’t some pushover after all these years. Definitely going to be a project to an extent especially on defense but the offense looked awesome this year once Tyler Van Dyke took over. Cristobal will need to hit the portal hard and try salvage any little bit of the recruiting class. Maybe get lucky and keep 5* Shemar Stewart and 4* Nijalik Kelly home. Would go a long way.

Best of luck to Cristobal. I will never blame somebody for going home. That program is a mess, but Cristobal is a good start. 

I'll miss his recruiting and stability he brought to the program after Helfrich and Taggart, but his offensive philosophy, in-game coaching decisions, and clock management left a lot to be desired. 

All eyes on Rob Mullens now. They cannot go cheap here. Pay what Miami just paid or else USC is going to take over the Pac 12. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Best of luck to Cristobal. I will never blame somebody for going home. That program is a mess, but Cristobal is a good start. 

I'll miss his recruiting and stability he brought to the program after Helfrich and Taggart, but his offensive philosophy, in-game coaching decisions, and clock management left a lot to be desired. 

All eyes on Rob Mullens now. They cannot go cheap here. Pay what Miami just paid or else USC is going to take over the Pac 12. 

how you feel about chip kelly returning?

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

Hard to say because nostalgia clouds my judgement, but I will say I don't think it would be as dumb as some other Duck fans think. And the memes. Come on, the memes would be great. 

UCLA finally looked like something this year. Took Chip a few years, but he got them on the right track. I like him as a X's and O's head coach far more than Cristobal. Recruiting is the key though. He's not invested heavily there, so if you go with Chip you need to surround him with a staff that can recruit. Open up the checkbox for that and it's a fine hire. Don't and you're in trouble. 

Dave Aranda would be my top choice. Matt Campbell is up there as well, but he's from the midwest. After being burned by all these east coast guys, the thought of bringing in from the west coach (Aranda) is appealing. Oregon will likely always be a stepping stone, I'm not here to deny that, but they shouldn't be a stepping stone like we've seen in recent years. It should be an Oregon to a USC type stepping stone. Not guys leaving Oregon to go home to programs in worse shape. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Oregon > UCLA for sure, especially with USC and Utah in the South.

I wouldn't hate it, but I think Chip was a moment in time that won't be replicated just because he's back. He benefited greatly from Mike Bellotti building the program up. 

Whoever we get, I just want someone who doesn't just use us as a launching pad. No hard feelings towards Cristobal, and Miami has that heritage, but someone's out there that's a high quality HC and sees Oregon as the better of the programs between, say, Miami or Florida St. That's the guy I want. 

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

As an outsider, I have to say I don't get why Miami has always wanted Cristobal that bad. 

dCyxGXn.gif

Realistically for them, who else could they have went after and successfully poached? 

Cristobal was the best they could get, largely because of his own to go back home. Miami simply isn't that attractive as a program right now. 

So from Miami's perspective, I don't think they could've made a better hire. Cristobal is far from perfect, but not even Miami should be expecting to lure in an elite head coach. 

Cristobal is a good coach. He'll do well at Miami. I didn't want him at UF because he's not on the level of Kirby and Saban and doesn't really have the potential to be. But Miami doesn't have to go through Bama and UGA, so it's not a huge issue for them.