2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

FWIW Florio said today that it seems like, based on their offseason, that the FO doesn't believe in Fields

The much more logical explanation is that a first time GM got tripped up at the beginning of free agency and didn’t execute what he wanted to do.

Then to his credit didn’t panic spend to make up for it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Same. And that's why I'm not a fan of how the roster is being built right now. It's almost like their either giving up on Fields already, or they feel like he's Jesus come back to earth.

I think it is far less big and epic than that.

I think a rookie GM struggled to execute his plan in his first free agency and didn’t do as much as he had hoped. Factor in the Pace mess he was working around, and I think it was more struggle than decision.

47 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Hence, the scenario.

Poles would have to make a decision. Good GMs build their teams around QBs. If Poles is still undecided about the direction of this team (Fields) next offseason then he can leave now for all I care, cause going 2 years in row with no direction sounds like a terrible plan and a recipe for disaster.  Two offseasons like this one and he would get absolutely destroyed by the media.

I don’t think this offseason is directionless. I just think a lot of people don’t like the way he’s gone about implementing the direction he chose. I also think his messaging could be better.

It seems pretty clear to me he’s using this year as a fat trimming, see if what we have is what he thinks it is type of year. He hasn’t said that though. If that’s really what this is then saying something like, “We know there are perceived backward steps here. They’re planned ones. We are evaluating this roster top to bottom. In a lot of ways and for a lot of reasons (indirect shot at Nagy & Pace) we don’t really know what we have here yet to be able to best understand what we need. We’re going to figure that out this year and then attack our needs to build this team from the ground up to win for the long haul.” would do him some good perception-wise. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

FWIW Florio said today that it seems like, based on their offseason, that the FO doesn't believe in Fields

As much as I enjoy listening to Florio he would be the first to tell you his just is to drum up business for his website...sometimes he will put out hot takes like that to do just that...do I believe that he believes that the FO don't trust in Fields? Probably not...just it gets the clicks in.

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think this offseason is directionless. I just think a lot of people don’t like the way he’s gone about implementing the direction he chose. I also think his messaging could be better.

It seems pretty clear to me he’s using this year as a fat trimming, see if what we have is what he thinks it is type of year. He hasn’t said that though. If that’s really what this is then saying something like, “We know there are perceived backward steps here. They’re planned ones. We are evaluating this roster top to bottom. In a lot of ways and for a lot of reasons (indirect shot at Nagy & Pace) we don’t really know what we have here yet to be able to best understand what we need. We’re going to figure that out this year and then attack our needs to build this team from the ground up to win for the long haul.” would do him some good perception-wise. 

And he wanted to do more. That is what I think people like Florio are ignoring. 

He tried to do more and it didn’t work.

This wasn’t the exact plan he set out to execute… if it was I might have more questions.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

And he wanted to do more. That is what I think people like Florio are ignoring. 

He tried to do more and it didn’t work.

This wasn’t the exact plan he set out to execute… if it was I might have more questions.

This is a good point. He may have made several offers for better players that we arent hearing about too. But with a talented but unproved QB, OC, HC, DC, and GM we arent a top destination. JAX overpaid to get their guys, we didn't. If the team performs with any form of competence (especially offensively) then the arrow points up for next years FAs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

This is a good point. He may have made several offers for better players that we arent hearing about too. But with a talented but unproved QB, OC, HC, DC, and GM we arent a top destination. JAX overpaid to get their guys, we didn't. If the team performs with any form of competence (especially offensively) then the arrow points up for next years FAs. 

He tried to land Larry O

He said they missed on some other tier 1 targets because of the Larry O.

They were finalists for Armsted

I know for a fact they were deep in on MVS.

They didn’t have the free agency they wanted. It was likely a combination of the mess Pace left, inexperience, Larry O going sideways, and them not being a destination as is.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as I enjoy listening to Florio he would be the first to tell you his just is to drum up business for his website...sometimes he will put out hot takes like that to do just that...do I believe that he believes that the FO don't trust in Fields? Probably not...just it gets the clicks in.

FWIW:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The problem with where we are right now is if Fields isn’t good in 2022 I will have serious questions about whether that is what he is… or that the Bears haven’t don’t enough to support him.

Would be nice to get a clean evaluation.

I agree he needs a line that can give him a respectable amount of time to throw and receivers who can give him a window to throw to, and catch the ball.  I think they can do that with "ok" guys that can play LG and at least one tackle position.  Something to set the minimum bar for Jenkins and Borem to beat.  These are the type of guys likely to be available after June 1.  Add to that one more experienced WR and a high upside draft pick at that position should be enough for Fields to show the coaches if he is the type of QB you win because of or at least not loose because of.  I am not necessarily talking about wins and loses this year because I don`t think we could have have gotten past mediocre this year regardless of who we signed in free agency.

Edited by Bfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think this is a lot of people reading into the Bears not having a great free agency period.

Rather than actually look at the multitude of factors why… they go with the most salacious possibility.

Dead on.

Offseason and no Tim Tebow talk?

Gotta get clicks somehow. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Dead on.

Offseason and no Tim Tebow talk?

Gotta get clicks somehow. 

I think we can all agree that free agency did not go as the Bears had hoped.

There are a bunch of reasons for that, many are not Ryan Poles fault. 

My guess is in the draft we will see a significant investment around Fields… if we don’t I will begin to have questions.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:33 AM, WindyCity said:

You do not save the money, you just eat it next year. They have been very protective of 2023 cap space.

Yes, I know how the cap works Windy but 2022 is when we may need more cap space to add those vets so many of you are disappointed we haven't signed yet.

We should already have stored a bundle of cap space for 2023 and a major increase in the cap will add more.  We need more players now not in 2023.

• Like 1