2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

Both of these are the reasons he wants out of SF

I don't think the real reason has even come out yet since Deebo refused to explain. It's all just speculation at this point.... regardless of what's been reported.

But if he wants out strictly because of how SF used him then that doesn't make any sense to me either. He's made a living on being a gadget player which has put him in a position to get paid. If he thinks he's can go somewhere else and thrive in a system better than Shanny's without being a gadget player then I'd say he's out of his damn mind.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't think the real reason has even come out yet since Deebo refused to explain. It's all just speculation at this point.... regardless of what's been reported.

But if he wants out strictly because of how SF used him then that doesn't make any sense to me either. He's made a living on being a gadget player which has put him in a position to get paid. If he thinks he's can go somewhere else and thrive in a system better than Shanny's without being a gadget player then I'd say he's out of his damn mind.

I think nobody wants to pay RBs because they are a dime a dozen in supply and they typically have a drop off in production after 5 years or so. 

But they still touch ball 2nd most of any player after QB even in an increasingly passing league.   So its not like the position itself isn't important.

Especially RBs that can catch.

What's interesting about a true WR/RB hybrid like Deebo is you can line them up outside and they are effective.   

That was thought with Tarik Cohen when demonstrated such good hands.  Nagy thought he can be our slot WR since he is so good there.   Problem was when you straight line him up at slot with Montgomery on field as well, a team matches up Cohen with an NFL CB.   And it turns out a CB can deal with him just fine when he is running routes from slot.  

The advantage in passing game was only if he was matched with a LB.   He didn't turn out to be a true hybrid.  Deebo is rare as he can beat CBs in passing game, not just running game.  

Deebo is a match up problem both as a WR and as a RB, however he lines up.   Which gives SF a personnel advantage.    They can get you in Nickel and run the football with better match ups or gain a passing advantage if you go base.

It isn't enough to be built like a RB as WR or be a good receiving RB, you have to have true WR skills and RB skills.   

All that being said, do you pay Deebo?   I think you pay him good WR money as he is uniquely gifted, but you don't make it overly long as he probably won't last with hits he takes.

And you definitely don't pay him if he won't do what makes him special, i.e; play RB and WR.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think nobody wants to pay RBs because they are a dime a dozen in supply and they typically have a drop off in production after 5 years or so. 

But they still touch ball 2nd most of any player after QB even in an increasingly passing league.   So its not like the position itself isn't important.

Especially RBs that can catch.

What's interesting about a true WR/RB hybrid like Deebo is you can line them up outside and they are effective.   

That was thought with Tarik Cohen when demonstrated such good hands.  Nagy thought he can be our slot WR since he is so good there.   Problem was when you straight line him up at slot with Montgomery on field as well, a team matches up Cohen with an NFL CB.   And it turns out a CB can deal with him just fine when he is running routes from slot.  

The advantage in passing game was only if he was matched with a LB.   He didn't turn out to be a true hybrid.  Deebo is rare as he can beat CBs in passing game, not just running game.  

Deebo is a match up problem both as a WR and as a RB, however he lines up.   Which gives SF a personnel advantage.    They can get you in Nickel and run the football with better match ups or gain a passing advantage if you go base.

It isn't enough to be built like a RB as WR or be a good receiving RB, you have to have true WR skills and RB skills.   

All that being said, do you pay Deebo?   I think you pay him good WR money as he is uniquely gifted, but you don't make it overly long as he probably won't last with hits he takes.

And you definitely don't pay him if he won't do what makes him special, i.e; play RB and WR.

Something else to consider is all of the RBs in SF keep getting injured. So the question is do they keep drafting/signing injury prone guys or is their training/system the cause of all the injuries at that position? If I were him in that situation that would be a concern of mine. BTW, it has been stated, at least on the surface, that the issue is usage and not money.

Edited by Bigbear72
  • Like 1

Well put @dll2000.  

If the reports are true and SF offered to pay him top WR money (not top player money like he wants) and he wasn't even willing to sit down and listen then I'd say SF is doing the right thing by saying .....hey, we offered you the most we're willing to pay and we feel that it's fair. If that's not enough for you then goodbye....we'll start listening to trade offers.

• Like 3

So in other news. The Browns investigation for allegedly tanking in 2016 and 2017 is supposedly close to the end of review. Hue woulda thought?

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleveland-browns-being-investigated-for-alleged-tanking

I'm not buying it. That franchise was terrible when Hue took over. Hue being a bad coach and a terrible eye for talent only made it worse. Hue alluded that Haslem paid him to tank but IIRC it was Haslem and Dorsey who stopped him from giving up a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron.

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Perhaps it's a combination of both. Maybe SF offered him a middle of the road deal because they view him as more of an RB, and Samuel turned around and said "then don't use me that way anymore." Either way this seems to be heading toward a trade. I can see KC or Philly offering one of their 1's

53 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Perhaps it's a combination of both. Maybe SF offered him a middle of the road deal because they view him as more of an RB, and Samuel turned around and said "then don't use me that way anymore." Either way this seems to be heading toward a trade. I can see KC or Philly offering one of their 1's

Or GB… (shudders)

I get it if you’re Samuel. He’s a really good WR without the RB use, and the RB reps if continued long term will likely significantly shorten his career. 

40 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Or GB… (shudders)

I get it if you’re Samuel. He’s a really good WR without the RB use, and the RB reps if continued long term will likely significantly shorten his career. 

If they trade him to an NFC team I'd think they would try to avoid true contenders

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

They offered to make him one of the highest paid WRs and he didn't even wanna hear em out.

He's saying it's not about the money and he's full of crap. He wants to be the highest paid non-QB.

10 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

100% and I can understand why he wants that...but if you say you don't want to do the thing that makes you special anymore then it is tough to see anyone paying him $25 million per year.

Yup.  Like a guy I once worked for told me.  If you want a heavy paycheck you have to carry a heavy load.  Once a team begins paying position players that kind of money they need to become the centerpiece of an offense or a defense and be able to take over games as needed.  Not I'm willing to do this but I won't do that.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, soulman said:

Yup.  Like a guy I once worked for told me.  If you want a heavy paycheck you have to carry a heavy load.  Once a team begins paying position players that kind of money they need to become the centerpiece of an offense or a defense and be able to take over games as needed.  Not I'm willing to do this but I won't do that.

It's a big risk for a team to trade AND extend him for a large amount of money while also agreeing to only use him exclusively as a WR and not the gadget player he's known for. This is what he's not understanding.

If a team gives up that much capital and money for a player then they had better the focal point of the offense.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's a big risk for a team to trade AND extend him for a large amount of money while also agreeing to only use him exclusively as a WR and not the gadget player he's known for. This is what he's not understanding.

If a team gives up that much capital and money for a player then they had better the focal point of the offense.

It would be insane for the Bears to trade for a guy like Deebo Samuel period.

You know why it's insane?  Because any idea that Ryan Heckman ever writes about is insane.  I'm not sure how he can manage his need for illegal stimulants on his paycheck but somehow he does.  Click bait artist supreme Heckman.

https://dawindycity.com/2022/04/20/chicago-bears-news-rumors-samuel-brown-trades/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

• Like 1