2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He is really bad.

What is the appropriate reaction to your team signing a really bad player?

I really do not understand your issue here. I would like us to sign a competent veteran swing OT and we signed one of the worst OTs in the league… those are not the same thing.

If you want a pizza and someone gives you a saltine with ketchup on it… what is the appropriate reaction?

He’s a backup caliber player signed to be a backup player. He may not even make the damn team and you’re all pissed about it. He’s not even gonna play unless someone gets hurt, and even then, maybe. But you’re all butt hurt about it. It’s kinda ridiculous. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s a backup caliber player signed to be a backup player. He may not even make the damn team and you’re all pissed about it. He’s not even gonna play unless someone gets hurt, and even then, maybe. But you’re all butt hurt about it. It’s kinda ridiculous. 

I am not butt hurt. 

I said that the guys they brought in were really bad… and they are.

You seem to get butt hurt over me offering an honest and fair assessment of Davenport. He is really bad.

He was the backup in Indy last season and was so bad that they rushed Fisher back from his Achilles and traded for a new backup OT. 

Are we suppose to golf clap for signing bad players? 

When we sign an OLmen who is competent… I will be here with pom poms and streamers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

No. Talent should be. That will inevitably include offense, but in no way should we EVER prioritize a position of need in the draft. Atleast not in the Top 100-120 picks. There is too much talent to accrue, and we need that talent literally every spot on the roster. QB and RB are the only spots we shouldn’t be picking guys, and we should be able to leverage QBs into trade downs, and honestly no one should be drafting RBs all that highly any more.

The system will show how good or not good Fields is. The resulting numbers are what dullards will look at to make a decision on if he is a franchise guy, but that’s not what the Front Office and Coaches will care about, especially in 2022.

And we don’t NEED to draft a Lineman or Receiver high to be able to evaluate those things (because he is being re-evaluated), there are still plenty of steady veterans out there that can do that. You just don’t like them, and call all of them trash. And while not as many as some would suggest, there still will be surprising cuts that we will look at as well.

There are still atleast 10 lineman that could be signed today that would be completely fine starting on this OL. Some of the LT options depend on if you want to give Jenkins the chance this year but there’s 2 (Eric Fiaher and Duane Brown) who could absolutely start for us, and I would be fine with them there all year long. There’s an obvious Center (Tretter) who we could bring in, with probably another as will, but who wouldn’t likely be an upgrade over Patrick (Paradis), and when you are looking at actual Guards or even RTs there are plenty (Bulaga, Flowers, Williams, Reiff, Turner, Remmers, Hopkins, Spain) who would all be just fine starting for one year, or less depending on draftees.

And they are all waiting for the draft to settle (atleast the first two days) before they decide where to sign. I’d bet we end up with one, if not two of those guys on the roster come Training Camp. And that’s not even getting into plenty of other guys out there who have starting experience, and would make solid backups. 

Again, your bar of what we NEED is just not reality, it’s what you WANT. And that fine, but you don’t seem to realize the difference. That’s been obvious since the minute your idea of an “average” lineman was presented 

I agree there are guys who could step in and start on the street. Davenport isn’t one of them… he is trash.

But we haven’t really shown any interest in that. 

The draft is what will offer us upside. There is no upside left in free agency. You would be signing solid place holders… but place holding for what?

I expect they will want to add some potential long term cornerstone type talent to the OL in this draft. 

Poles and Cunningham are both OL guys, who come from teams who invest heavily in the OL, I can’t see them being content with an interior OL with a ceiling of solid veteran.

• Like 1

I am hoping after the draft we add a couple of serious veteran OLmen, not stars or even starters, but guys who can play at a reasonable level.

Borom

Whitehair

Patrick

Draft Pick

Jenkins

Vet

Draft Pick

Mustipher/Vet, they seem to like Musty but I would sign another veteran who he has to beat or they keep 9.

Edited by WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I am not butt hurt. 

I said that the guys they brought in were really bad… and they are.

You seem to get butt hurt over me offering an honest and fair assessment of Davenport. He is really bad.

He was the backup in Indy last season and was so bad that they rushed Fisher back from his Achilles and traded for a new backup OT. 

Are we suppose to golf clap for signing bad players? 

When we sign an OLmen who is competent… I will be here with pom poms and streamers.

I’m not saying you should cheer the Davenport signing. I’m saying it’s far too inconsequential of a signing for you to act like it’s a big deal that we added a guy who’s not an obviously good player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not saying you should cheer the Davenport signing. I’m saying it’s far too inconsequential of a signing for you to act like it’s a big deal that we added a guy who’s not an obviously good player. 

I think what Windy is saying is that they keep signing these fringe practice squad players instead of players who might actually make a difference. Starter or legit depth. A player who has legit chance to make the roster is much better than one who probably wont.  And I agree with him there.

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

I think what Windy is saying is that they keep signing these fringe practice squad players instead of players who might actually make a difference. Starter or legit depth. A player who has legit chance to make the roster is much better than one who probably wont.  And I agree with him there.

Nobody disagrees with the idea of signing quality depth, but those guys also mostly aren’t signing anywhere right now. They want to sign somewhere they’ll get a legit chance to earn starter reps, and that’ll be far more clear in a week and a half after the draft shakes out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nobody disagrees with the idea of signing quality depth, but those guys also mostly aren’t signing anywhere right now. They want to sign somewhere they’ll get a legit chance to earn starter reps, and that’ll be far more clear in a week and a half after the draft shakes out.

I just question the process. The better a player is....the sooner he comes of the board.

All of these low tier signings are guys who would've most likely still been available well after the draft so why target them instead of more qualified players while their still available? Makes no sense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

All I said is he was bad. Which is true. He is very bad.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is true. My guess is they are waiting at this point.

I am ready to celebrate post draft when we sign guys who may actually make the team.