2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

2 hours ago, dafreak said:

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

That is pretty interesting...wonder if there is something still in the works for him which would make the draft much easier to predict for us.

If by interesting you mean not working out for the Bears in any fashion, yeah it's extremely interesting. This is a nothing. He's working out at a high school in Miami

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 9:06 PM, StLunatic88 said:

Dude it’s not about that one post, it’s all of them between the two most popular threads here, the last few pages of both are littered with you posting g the same over-reaction complaints

i mean you are so mad about about a Camp body OT, you would have thought we handed him a 5 year deal fully guaranteed. 

Yup.  All I can see is we signed a kid who play LT and has 32 starts to his credit.  I believe that makes him an experienced vet most likely working off as vet minimum deal with zero assurances of make the final roster.

We need to add OL and Davenport is an OL.  We may other OL in the draft and UDFA and post draft we may even more. Complaining now is like going into a Mexican restaurant and being served free chips and salsa as an appetizer then bitching because you can't make a meal out of that.  Dinner's not been cooked yet.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:03 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I think what Windy is saying is that they keep signing these fringe practice squad players instead of players who might actually make a difference. Starter or legit depth. A player who has legit chance to make the roster is much better than one who probably wont.  And I agree with him there.

He's building some positions from the back end of the roster forward.

Why don't we ALL just wait 'til post draft to see what that brings and then what other moves Poles may make in late May and early June.

I have a feeling they want to accomplish as much with young talent as they can and learn where the biggest holes are.  Then possibly sign some vets to fill them.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am telling you an offense that struggles in 2022 is going to make fans furious.  Fair or not.   Good long term plan or not.

Public opinion matters and an overwhelmingly negative attitude coming from outside effects everything.   Including coaches and players . 

Poles is making a mistake IMO.   A weak team will not bother people near so much as a weak offense.   He is not reading tea leaves.  

Preach it to the sky, brotha.  

Rebuild? Fine. But don't increase the risk that your maybe-franchise-QB gets hurt, or worse, you end the season with an incomplete evaluation because things aren't great and you can't tell whether it's the cast of castoffs or the QB.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, malagabears said:

Any receivers in that "5th tier" scrapheap you'd recommend?

Cole Beasley. Not an earth shaking move but he's one of the better slot guys when healthy.

Will Fuller but it would only be a matter of time before he's on IR.

Strictly from a talent standpoint, and if we're really desperate, then guys like ODB and Landry. Although I would stay away since we're not competing this year and those two guys on a losing team would do more harm to the team than help it.

There's a few who would be an instant upgrade over Equatorious St Micheals but that isn't saying much. Unfortunately, there's not many left in FA who would make much of a difference. And even less when considering health and a player in rehab doesn't help us.

If we want talent then we would have to trade for it at this point, thanks to our front office.

I think there's far more concern about Fields getting hurt floating around than there needs to be.  Fields is a very mobile 6'3"/228lbs 23 year old whose essentially the size of a LB but one who can run a 4.4 forty.  His odds of survival are pretty good.

And I don't get where all the criticism over Poles moves in FA is coming from.  So far he's done exactly what he said he would adding 2nd and 3rd tier FA to compete for starting roles alongside his draftees and UDFA.  The draft comes into play next.

Post draft there will be more OTA activities for the rookies and in June for vets as well.  Once the dust settles around the guys on the roster playing new schemes Poles should have a better idea of what holes still need to be filled and fill them.

What's our worst case scenario?  Only 5 or 6 wins and another top ten pick in 2023 in every round when and where Poles can really help himself and the team by getting more of the younger talent he wants to rebuild with?

Welcome back man, nice to read you again! Anyway...

5 hours ago, soulman said:

I think there's far more concern about Fields getting hurt floating around than there needs to be.  Fields is a very mobile 6'3"/228lbs 23 year old whose essentially the size of a LB but one who can run a 4.4 forty.  His odds of survival are pretty good.

You mean the same Fields that got smacked around last year and missed games behind a line that wasn't very good but had more proven talent than they currently have? When they had a right guard?  Joking and exaggerating  a bit here, but they're worse than they were, and the rest of the offseason does not have many surefire ways to get better to the point where I'd call them adequate.

And I don't get where all the criticism over Poles moves in FA is coming from.  So far he's done exactly what he said he would adding 2nd and 3rd tier FA to compete for starting roles alongside his draftees and UDFA.  The draft comes into play next.

Sign me up as OK with a total rebuild when it's called for, we should have done it several times in the last decade when it was clear things weren't working out. However it's not as clear cut when you might have a franchise QB, and I'm not sure what this year will look like for him.

What's our worst case scenario?  Only 5 or 6 wins and another top ten pick in 2023 in every round when and where Poles can really help himself and the team by getting more of the younger talent he wants to rebuild with?

Worst case scenario!? Glad you asked, allow me to do my thing... worst case scenario is that we have no more clarity about the team than we do right now.  Fields gets hurt and misses time, or the whole offense is so talent deficient we can't tell who's good and what works.  Defense needs like 8 starters for 2023 and the offense is still dollar store. Worst case scenario is we end the year like we start it, but with more cap space and a first round pick. 

• Like 5