2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Tell that to little league parents in leagues with low weight limits.   One of joys of coaching.

No one complains about their fat kid playing Oline.  Those kids are also naturally humble.  I have come to think it may be a hidden blessing.

When there are no fat kids on team everyone with a kid that gets put on Oline complains and bitterly.  

You are ruining their development for high school and beyond you see and also  how dare you.  Can’t you see the immense talent? Are you blind man? 

You say what am I supposed to do?  We kind of need an Oline and if I put our 5 worst players on Oline we are going 0-12.   Oline is kind of important.  This is part when they throw their buddies kid under bus.  Play Johnny at Oline he has no future.  

LOL   It’s crazy.  Maybe I did ruin their development because none of those kids surprisingly and shocking to everyone involved is playing in NFL now or starred at Alabama. 

Care for a little suggestion?

Answer their complaints with my little friend here......:flick:

16 minutes ago, soulman said:

Care for a little suggestion?

Answer their complaints with my little friend here......:flick:

Trust me there was always some back and forth and I am no shrinking violet. 

I even had some of those parents go to board and say that they were terrified of me which is kind of funny.  I am really a pretty gentle and overly nice guy IRL or I have been since about 21 or so anyway.   And it is not like I am huge or physically imposing.  I am fairly normal sized at about 6'1 and 215 or so and I am not ripped or anything.  

I even made parents promise they wouldn't complain in preseason about position assignments before I would agree to coach, which they would  and they still would complain once positions were chosen.  

A number of these people were mentally unstable though.   Sadly enough that proved out in later years through tragedy. 

A big red flag though is if various leagues and sports are kicking you out or asking you not to come back the following season, and while I am not perfect maybe the problem isn't me and you need to look in mirror.  (I pointed this out to a few sets of parents and they were not happy with that observation).  

It started happening more and more every year and more extreme as years went by.  It is one reason I am not doing it anymore.  I will probably go back again when my kids are married and out of house though and I have more free time.

Now that I am much older I feel like they are going to bug me a lot less in future go around.   It is different when parents are older than you.

Edited by dll2000

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Trust me there was always some back and forth and I am no shrinking violet. 

Oh yeah and there always will be.  Quite a few years ago and at the request of a client of mine I coached pitchers and catchers for a HS girls fastpitch softball league.

Several parents asked me why their little darling was trying out at catcher when she obviously had the talent to be the best pitcher on the team. I just answered with 'cause someone has to catch what the pitchers pitches.  That's your daughter.

Being a former catcher myself I was a bit offended by their lowly viewpoint of catching but it always worked if I chose the bossiest of them to be my #1 catcher by telling her that she was the QB of the entire defense, could call pitches, and move fielders around at will.

Parents who've never played the game should have no right to question experienced coaches who have just like we should not be electing anyone who doesn't recognize what a crime is to any kind of public office.  Even dog catcher.

Edited by soulman

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Tell that to little league parents in leagues with low weight limits.   One of joys of coaching.

No one complains about their fat kid playing Oline.  Those kids are also naturally humble.  I have come to think it may be a hidden blessing.

When there are no fat kids on team everyone with a kid that gets put on Oline complains and bitterly.  

You are ruining their development for high school and beyond you see and also  how dare you.  Can’t you see the immense talent? Are you blind man? 

You say what am I supposed to do?  We kind of need an Oline and if I put our 5 worst players on Oline we are going 0-12.   Oline is kind of important.  This is part when they throw their buddies kid under bus.  Play Johnny at Oline he has no future.  

LOL   It’s crazy.  Maybe I did ruin their development because none of those kids surprisingly and shocking to everyone involved is playing in NFL now or starred at Alabama. 

Our OL in Louisville was FAR from humble. They were the flash of our team and were nicknamed after SUVs. It...was...AWESOME.

They talked the most, danced the most, and did the Larry Allen 'choo choo' deal after pancake blocks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Our OL in Louisville was FAR from humble. They were the flash of our team and were nicknamed after SUVs. It...was...AWESOME.

They talked the most, danced the most, and did the Larry Allen 'choo choo' deal after pancake blocks. 

Every Monday we had film and not practice.  

I remember this one film session we were reviewing a play and this funny kid we had, had laid another kid out away from play on a devastating block.  You could see on edge of film the kid was laying flat on ground and not moving (he was fine). 

“Coach, coach, coach, look what I did!  Look! …  I think I killed him.”

Then he laughed.  I did too.  It was really funny the way he said it.  He was a little guy too.  Little Italian kid.  Tough though.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Hicks coming back? Apparently he posted this and then deleted it.

I wouldn't mind at all. He's not the player he used to be but we need help up front. Especially if Flus is serious about how much he rotates. 

If Hicks does come back it says alot about the cultural changes that Poles & Flus are brining about since there is no way he would come back under Pace & Nagy.