2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

Just now, soulman said:

IMHO that doesn't eliminate the need for a more mobile QB on the roster or the PS.

It would certainly be a want. For me though it’s further down the list. If Fields is gonna be out we’re probably gonna lose anyway. I’m all for adding a guy to develop to eventually replace Foles on the roster but I’d rather we spend our $ on a guy who’s going to play more than our backup QB when money is already tight.

If we’re able to add a play caller who’s actually competent then having to get by with Foles for a few weeks if need be. It’s not ideal, but the bad FA moves by Pace will have a long unavoidable tail to them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Just noticed Ravens C Bradley Bozeman is due to be a FA as well...he would be an excellent pick up at a centre who can handle 1on1 matchups with most NTs.

Ricard too. Adding those two adds a LOT of physicality to an offense. Ricard would also be significantly cheaper than Bozeman.

• Like 2

It's only been two games, so this may be jumping the gun, but Tyler Huntley looks like a good QB2 option to have for the next regime to develop behind Fields. 

it's not likely (since he's set to be a ERFA, meaning the Ravens will likely keep him) but man. his skillset is so similar to Fields that it would be so easy to work with him and Fields in the same offense without ever having to change the scheme in the event Fields gets hurt and has to miss a game or two.

• Like 1

Chris Godwin tore his ACL. He was my favorite free agent possibility but this wipes away his season next year too potentially and definitely dampens his earning potential in free agency. But it wouldn’t be the first time Chicago has taken a chance on a hot receiver coming off an ACL injury. 

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's only been two games, so this may be jumping the gun, but Tyler Huntley looks like a good QB2 option to have for the next regime to develop behind Fields. 

it's not likely (since he's set to be a ERFA, meaning the Ravens will likely keep him) but man. his skillset is so similar to Fields that it would be so easy to work with him and Fields in the same offense without ever having to change the scheme in the event Fields gets hurt and has to miss a game or two.

Why sign a quarterback that plays similar to Fields when we could sign an old statuesque quarterback well past his prime 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Chris Godwin tore his ACL. He was my favorite free agent possibility but this wipes away his season next year too potentially and definitely dampens his earning potential in free agency. But it wouldn’t be the first time Chicago has taken a chance on a hot receiver coming off an ACL injury. 

It was a brutal hit...thankfully Godwin is way more than just speed...if the chance is there to sign him for a solid value we should still take it if he fits the scheme we will be running.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:50 PM, Ty21 said:

On 12/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, Madmike90 said:

It was a brutal hit...thankfully Godwin is way more than just speed...if the chance is there to sign him for a solid value we should still take it if he fits the scheme we will be running.

ARob tore his ACL week 1 though. Godwin’s is in December. Even if he’s back in 9 months (which would be SUPER fast) that’s already into the season, meaning no real chance to build chemistry with Fields at all during the offseason. I love Godwin, but that seems to me like something that’s going to make things more difficult than they need to be for us. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

ARob tore his ACL week 1 though. Godwin’s is in December. Even if he’s back in 9 months (which would be SUPER fast) that’s already into the season, meaning no real chance to build chemistry with Fields at all during the offseason. I love Godwin, but that seems to me like something that’s going to make things more difficult than they need to be for us. 

I think everyone is different when it comes to ACLs...some guys like Robinson as slow to recover and never get all the way back...some take 8 months to get back and look like stars again...I think the talent of Godwin is worth doing the home working and finding out how bad the tear was...if we are comfortable with it then I would still pull the trigger.