2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Nah...let him get his second ring, and then we can all watch as the Packers dismantle their entire team just to keep him and Adams. 

It'll be fun! 

At this point, that might honestly be worth it for GB. AR and Adams have a telepathic connection...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If the good free agent WRs could stop tearing their ACLs that would be awesome.

Seriously. Every time one gets hurt it moves higher and higher up our draft need list. We’re gonna go from maybe Godwin or Gallup to like Will Fuller or Christian Kirk. 🤢 

I wonder if a full blown regime change would change ARob’s mind about possibly wanting to come back. It could certainly change the organization’s stance about what he’s worth, especially with the rest of the top of the market dropping like flies. He’s said all along that he likes Chicago. He’d have all offseason to develop chemistry with Fields unlike this year where they were basically not even introduced until mid-September. He’s seemed unmotivated much of the year after not being respected financially by Pace. If the new regime respects him more, does he then come back and do we get ARob of 2018-20 again? Is that more or less risky than trying to land someone else?

Nagy is as good as gone already - if Pace is also gone we have to at least consider the possibility that a change might be in order regarding Robinson’s future too. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Seriously. Every time one gets hurt it moves higher and higher up our draft need list. We’re gonna go from maybe Godwin or Gallup to like Will Fuller or Christian Kirk. 🤢 

I wonder if a full blown regime change would change ARob’s mind about possibly wanting to come back. It could certainly change the organization’s stance about what he’s worth, especially with the rest of the top of the market dropping like flies. He’s said all along that he likes Chicago. He’d have all offseason to develop chemistry with Fields unlike this year where they were basically not even introduced until mid-September. He’s seemed unmotivated much of the year after not being respected financially by Pace. If the new regime respects him more, does he then come back and do we get ARob of 2018-20 again? Is that more or less risky than trying to land someone else?

Nagy is as good as gone already - if Pace is also gone we have to at least consider the possibility that a change might be in order regarding Robinson’s future too. 

The problem with Robinson is with every ACL a free agent WR gets, the more his asking price will be met.  I really like Robinson and maybe he would come down from his price with a different regime here, but I think someone is going to meet that 20 mil/a year price especially with Goodwin and Gallup needing surgeries.  

2 hours ago, GBHalas said:

The problem with Robinson is with every ACL a free agent WR gets, the more his asking price will be met.  I really like Robinson and maybe he would come down from his price with a different regime here, but I think someone is going to meet that 20 mil/a year price especially with Goodwin and Gallup needing surgeries.  

Agree on the price tag climbing, but coming off a 36/388/1 season I’d be shocked if he were able to significantly eclipse Kenny Golladay’s deal (4/72) from last offseason. Golladay was also coming off a down and injured contract year.

Of significant note, by adding 1 void year to the end of Golladay’s deal his year 1 cap hit was only $4,473,525, with palatable #1 WR hits the next 3 years at $21M each ($3.4M dead cap in 2025, at which point the cap will be like $250M). We can do the same for any big money FA we sign, WR or otherwise, so despite having “cap issues” going into 2022 there’s really no excuse to say anyone we want to target is out of our budget. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Top two outside receivers massively impacted by injury in this market could force our hand in the draft...again it's really tough to say who we should target in FA without knowing the HC and scheme but Christian Kirk is looking a better bet. 

I like Kirk quite a bit in the right scheme but my best guess is that he’d prefer to stay in AZ if they can afford to keep him. He’s a great fit for Kingsbury’s offense and he’s from Scottsdale, so the Cards are his hometown team (went to the same HS as Mike Brown).

Kirk/Mooney and David Bell/Jahan Dotson would be awesome IMO. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like Kirk quite a bit in the right scheme but my best guess is that he’d prefer to stay in AZ if they can afford to keep him. He’s a great fit for Kingsbury’s offense and he’s from Scottsdale, so the Cards are his hometown team (went to the same HS as Mike Brown).

Kirk/Mooney and David Bell/Jahan Dotson would be awesome IMO. 

The Cards have around $19 in cap space right now but do have some big names to resign...Chandler Jones...Zach Ertz...A.J Green...James Connor all probably come before Kirk I would imagine...especially if Antonie Wesley can keep stepping up.

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The Cards have around $19 in cap space right now but do have some big names to resign...Chandler Jones...Zach Ertz...A.J Green...James Connor all probably come before Kirk I would imagine...especially if Antonie Wesley can keep stepping up.

Fair point. I’d be surprised if they bring Green back and I’d guess Conner is more questionable, but Ertz and Jones seem like priorities for sure.

Also, I think I went too far saying Kirk/Mooney and Bell/Dotson would be “awesome.” Probably more solid than awesome, at least for 2022. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fair point. I’d be surprised if they bring Green back and I’d guess Conner is more questionable, but Ertz and Jones seem like priorities for sure.

Also, I think I went too far saying Kirk/Mooney and Bell/Dotson would be “awesome.” Probably more solid than awesome, at least for 2022. 

I think having Mooney, Kirk & Bell especially would be a really nice mix of skills at receiver...but again it purely depends on who the HC is and what are are going to do...McDaniels would be great for those WRs...Leftwich probably not so much.

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Under McDaniels Byrd was arguably best WR on Patriots in 2020 and looked pretty good.

The thing with McDaniels is he will adjust to players no matter who they are...it's not a case of if you don't fit the scheme you are not talented...it's a case of let me change my scheme to fit your talent...Nagy never understood that as many other coach don't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Under McDaniels Byrd was arguably best WR on Patriots in 2020 and looked pretty good.

I’d be fine with Byrd back, especially if we hire McDaniels, but not as anything more than a 4. I just don’t see a diverse enough skill set where he should be a starting WR. Him being the best WR in NE in 2020 said as much about what else was in the cupboard in NE as it did about him IMO.

He has enough traits (namely, speed) that are ideal for a depth/role player, and he does have a history of some success when pressed into significant action. And he’ll be cheap, which likely will matter as well.

Even as a WR4 though I still view Byrd as more of a fallback option.