2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was lukewarm on Pierce before the bowls, and his complete no-show against Bama has me even more down on him. He was playing with a supposed NFL-caliber QB in Ridder and in a weak conference but statistically he’s just meh. If we spent a 3 on him I’d be pretty disappointed. I think there are probably 15 better WR prospects than him in this draft IMO.

I like Wilson too but I don’t know that he “definitely won’t fit” in Dallas’ plans. They’re presumably about to lose Gallup, and like you said his cost might be reasonable. 

I understand what you mean but looking at that game again Pierce was open several times but Ridder either had his pass knocked down or himself knocked down. Pierce in my opinion is a big play threat who could be a solid 2 to Mooney's #1

54 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I understand what you mean but looking at that game again Pierce was open several times but Ridder either had his pass knocked down or himself knocked down. Pierce in my opinion is a big play threat who could be a solid 2 to Mooney's #1

I just have less confidence in him than some of the other top WR prospects. I see him producing big numbers the past 2 years against Tulsa (2x) and Indiana and Temple and East Carolina, none of whom I believe have any draft prospects in the secondary. Then I see him against UGA in last year’s Peach Bowl (3/28/1) and Bama last week (2/17/0) against pro caliber players and it gives me some serious bum slayer vibes, especially because his QB isn’t the typical JAG mid-major QB. Even against ND (6/144/0), where they have super stud Kyle Hamilton at S, but their top CB in this draft is Cam Hart (if he declares, probably a late day 2 or day 3 pick), and if this article is accurate, he wasn’t even the one covering Pierce in that game, or at least not when he was making plays. 

Maybe Pierce can play a big role at the NFL level and I’m overvaluing what I see, which is admittedly limited. I certainly haven’t watched all of his games, though I’ve seen him a few times this year. He’s definitely got some NFL physical traits with the size and high point ability seemingly there. His play speed looks fine to me, but only fine. I’m just not sold on him like several of the other WR prospects at the top of this class who have done more against better competition, and who also have NFL traits. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

• 4 weeks later...
You know what LB would fit in great next to Roquan next year? Anthony Walker. He's affordable (1 year, $3M deal this year), solid player, not too old (27 for 2022 season), and came up under Matt Eberflus in Indy. Plus he's a Northwestern alum, which is a great added bonus.

My thoughts exactly.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am worried about rolling into the season relying on Jenkins and Borom at OT.

I would love to sign a legit LT and let the other guys battle it out for the other spots.

The problem the Bears will have is a free agent legit Lt is either too expensive, too old, or too injury prone.  Since we are talking competition now, maybe draft another OT and let the three fight for two starting spots, and the loser becomes the swing tackle.  It seems like Jenkins, and Borom can play either tackle so put each one in their best place, even if that includes the bench,

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would love to sign a legit LT and let the other guys battle it out for the other spots.

I would have no issue with us drafting another OT in the 2nd round and sliding one of these guys inside to guard...yeah it gives you a young OL but KC have shown this isn't much of a problem with proper coaching...the OL coaching hire will as always be a big one.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would have no issue with us drafting another OT in the 2nd round and sliding one of these guys inside to guard...yeah it gives you a young OL but KC have shown this isn't much of a problem with proper coaching...the OL coaching hire will as always be a big one.

Sign Orlando Brown, I know it would be expensive 

Brown

Borom

Whitehair/Draft

Daniels

Jenkins

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Any quality 3-techniques in FA? 

Suh is the big name on a 1 year deal...

Quinton Jefferson is the smart bet...played for Rod in LV...4.5 sacks and 16 QB hits this season...he could hold down that spot alongside Nichols who should be resigned until the 2023 draft where we need to find a real talent inside.

20 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Was thinking yesterday - go raid the saints and sign armstead, put Jenkins at G or RT, and have borom be a swing r or guard 

but also super sign Ryan Jensen 

On 1/28/2022 at 6:54 PM, Madmike90 said:
You know what LB would fit in great next to Roquan next year? Anthony Walker. He's affordable (1 year, $3M deal this year), solid player, not too old (27 for 2022 season), and came up under Matt Eberflus in Indy. Plus he's a Northwestern alum, which is a great added bonus.

My thoughts exactly.

Can we just leave Trevathan at an airport somewhere 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Was thinking yesterday - go raid the saints and sign armstead, put Jenkins at G or RT, and have borom be a swing r or guard 

but also super sign Ryan Jensen 

Love Jensen but he’s gonna get top dollar (likely ~$12M/year). I’m in though. Definite tone setter. He and Jenkins = a whole lotta nastiness out there. 

G Mark Glowinski has been Indy’s starting RG the past 4 seasons and is a FA. Entering age 30 season. Flus will know him well. Guessing his salary is more in the $5-7M range annually. 

• Like 1