If the playoffs was a best of 3 series who would be your Superbowl champs over the past 5 seasons?

stl4life07

2016 - I flat out think the Falcons were the best team in the NFL. Ryan was the MVP and that offense with Kyle as the OC was just unstoppable. I do think we get the same Superbowl matchup between the Pats and Falcons. The Falcons wouldve beaten the Pats 2 out 3 in the Superbowl. It was an epic collapse that the Falcons had and they never recovered from it but in a 3 game series I do think they take the series and be the Superbowl champs.

2017 - We get the Saints v the Pats in the Superbowl and I think the Saints win the Superbowl. The Pats shouldve lost to the Jags that year so it shouldve been Jags v Eagles but in a 3 game series I dont trust the Jags to beat the Pats twice. I do think the Saints beat the Vikings twice. I cant see Keenum beating the Saints twice and I cant see Foles beating the Saints twice either. Then in the Superbowl the Saints have Brady number I think they beat the Pats especially since the Pats defense werent as good that year to the point where Belichick benched Butler in the Superbowl. No corner on the Pats roster would stop Brees to Thomas. Heck Thomas might win Superbowl MVP for just dominating each game. I think it could go the full 3 games but the Saints would win. 

2018 - I think we get Chiefs v Rams in the Superbowl with the Chiefs winning. I know Saints fans say if it wasnt for the no PI call the Saints win. Thats just an excuse not to see the Saints had a 13-0 lead in the 1st quarter and didnt put the game away. They had a 3pt lead after the no PI call and all they had to do was make a defensive stop to put the game away and they didnt. They had the ball first in OT and all they had to do was go down field and score a td and put the game away and they didnt. They had more calls go their way in that game than did the Rams that they shouldve easily put the game out of reach early and often but they didnt. That what happens when you leave the game in the hands of the refs. You never should do that and it cost them. Plus the Rams defense showed up in the playoffs period and the Rams usually play the Saints tough no matter what. Rams wouldve taken the series in 3 games. The Chiefs shouldve beaten the Pats in the AFCCG that year if it wasnt for I think Clark being offsides. In a 3 game series I think the Chiefs get it done and go to the Superbowl and beat the Rams. The way the Rams offense sputtered in the 2nd half of the season we wouldnt get that MNF game classic. The Chiefs would win that series in a 2-0 sweep. 

2019 - I think we get the same Supebowl matchup between the Niners v Chiefs. I think the Niners win the Superbowl. The Chiefs kept falling behind all playoffs long and they are fortunate it never caught up with them. It wouldve in the Superbowl. They shouldve lost to the Niners and I think if it was a 3 game series the Niners wouldve won. They were physical on defense to make Mahomes and that offense struggle the entire series and I think if Kyle never abandoned the run they win it straight up in a 2-0 sweep. 

2020 - I think we get Packers v Chiefs and I got the Packers winning. I could see the Bucs beating the Saints in 3 games bc Thomas was clearly a decoy and not healthy so all the Saints had against the Bucs was Kamara and Brees and I think the Bucs take in 3. I do think the Packers in Lambeau beat the Bucs in NFCCG in 3 games. The Chiefs on the other side cruise to the Superbowl. MAYBE the Bills push them to 3 games but even think I wouldnt bet it. The Packers would take advantage over a banged up Chiefs OL just like the Bucs did and win the series in 2 games. 

So overall no team that one the Superbowl over the past 5yrs wouldve won the Superbowl had the playoffs been a best of 3 series and I think we get the same Superbowl matchup twice. Brees wouldve had another Superbowl and so would ARod. Brady would be two Superbowls less so he would only have 5 rings. Kyle as a OC and HC would have two rings with both Ryan and Jimmy G at QB, and Mahomes would still only have one and McVay and the Rams would still be looking for a ring. So yeah things would definitely be different imo. 

Edited by stl4life07

2016 - Patriots.

2017 - Patriots

2018 - Patriots

2019 - Chiefs

2020 - Buccaneers

Honestly the team that was the best by the end of the season has won more often than not in the past decade.

2017 Patriots are the only team I think may have won a 2/3 over the Nick Foles Eagles but even that I think would be really close. 

Edited by Bolts223

I'll bite.

2016 - You're asking a team to beat BB twice in three attempts, I don't think that's sustainable. If you say the actual SB was the first game, there is no way in hell Atlanta rebound from that franchise altering catastrophe. Pats got worked in the first half then did what they tend to do, figured it out and changed it. I'd be very comfortable that coaching would win this 3-0, and having Brady catch fire the momentum was with him and the team

2017 - Eagles are winning this 3-0 or 2-1. If we didn't punt all game, had peak Brady ripping through a very good Eagles D, and we still couldn't win, I don't see how anyone beats Phillie this year

2018 - You look at the evidence, BB held the most potent offense in football to 3 points. This same offense that out-dueled peak Mahomes. It's perhaps the most impressive feat of coaching I've ever seen in a one-game sample. I got to believe they can do enough to win one more game in this series. If it's the Saints, I'd say 2-1 to Pats again. We'd beaten them by 16 in the dome the previous season, and LAR were more dangerous anyway. Again, if the actual SB was game 1, does Goff really rally to come back and beat NE? Has he ever actually been the same since that season which included a couple damaging losses?

2019 - I think SF blew it, but I still see KC winning 2-1. Impressed with SF's defense all year, but I'd expect Mahomes and co. to have slightly too much firepower over 3 games

2020 - Bucs 3-0. Took a while for KC to steady the ship after the actual loss. I don't see how Todd Bowles' and co on the DL/Edge get found out in any way, and Mahomes is running for his life 3 weeks in a row. David wouldn't all of a sudden forget to cover Kelce, the defense wouldn't all of a sudden switch to single high and stack the box. 3-0.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'll bite.

2016 - You're asking a team to beat BB twice in three attempts, I don't think that's sustainable. If you say the actual SB was the first game, there is no way in hell Atlanta rebound from that franchise altering catastrophe. Pats got worked in the first half then did what they tend to do, figured it out and changed it. I'd be very comfortable that coaching would win this 3-0, and having Brady catch fire the momentum was with him and the team

2017 - Eagles are winning this 3-0 or 2-1. If we didn't punt all game, had peak Brady ripping through a very good Eagles D, and we still couldn't win, I don't see how anyone beats Phillie this year

2018 - You look at the evidence, BB held the most potent offense in football to 3 points. This same offense that out-dueled peak Mahomes. It's perhaps the most impressive feat of coaching I've ever seen in a one-game sample. I got to believe they can do enough to win one more game in this series. If it's the Saints, I'd say 2-1 to Pats again. We'd beaten them by 16 in the dome the previous season, and LAR were more dangerous anyway. Again, if the actual SB was game 1, does Goff really rally to come back and beat NE? Has he ever actually been the same since that season which included a couple damaging losses?

2019 - I think SF blew it, but I still see KC winning 2-1. Impressed with SF's defense all year, but I'd expect Mahomes and co. to have slightly too much firepower over 3 games

2020 - Bucs 3-0. Took a while for KC to steady the ship after the actual loss. I don't see how Todd Bowles' and co on the DL/Edge get found out in any way, and Mahomes is running for his life 3 weeks in a row. David wouldn't all of a sudden forget to cover Kelce, the defense wouldn't all of a sudden switch to single high and stack the box. 3-0.

So I take it you think even in a 3 game series we get the same Superbowl matchup each season still? The reason I don’t have Brady still winning rings is bc I don’t think he gets to the Superbowl but once and that’s against the Falcons. Yes they haven’t recovered from that collapse but I have to believe in the Superbowl if they knew they had two more cracks at beating the Pats and believed it took an historical comeback from them just to win that game that they still would come out the next two games and play great and win. 

Also with the Falcons mostly the reason they never recovered is bc they lost the best thing that ever happened to Ryan and this franchise and that’s Kyle Shanahan. I felt like honestly he should’ve been promoted to HC but they let him go and kept Quinn. Had Kyle never left I thought the Falcons would’ve been in great position the following seasons afterwards.

Now I will say that you got me in terms of Belichick being the GOAT at HC so his adjustments in a 3 game series would be epic so that could make it even tougher. I do think it the series would go 3 games and I could see in that final game of the series clamping down and just doing a number on the opponent even if the scoreboard doesn’t indicate it. So again you got me on that so maybe Brady would still have the rings he has lol. 

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'll bite.

3-0? Do you know what "best of three" means? 

20 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

2016 - I flat out think the Falcons were the best team in the NFL. Ryan was the MVP and that offense with Kyle as the OC was just unstoppable. I do think we get the same Superbowl matchup between the Pats and Falcons. The Falcons wouldve beaten the Pats 2 out 3 in the Superbowl. It was an epic collapse that the Falcons had and they never recovered from it but in a 3 game series I do think they take the series and be the Superbowl champs.

If game 1 would have played out the same way as the SB did there is no way the Falcons beat the Pats. One kind of overlooked aspect of the loss is that the Falcons Oline got banged up too hell during that game. Afaik someone even ended up playing on a broken leg (Schraeder or Mack I think?). That and the soul crushing defeat would be enough to make it a sweep for the Pats imo.

• Like 1

The Chiefs would not have beaten the Rams in that hypothetical Super Bowl match up.

Our defense was AWFUL when we met for that epic Monday Night game. In the playoffs it was phenomenal.

Chiefs defense wouldn't have stopped us.

Rams win that series 2-0 if it happens.

I'm not sure the Patriots beat us twice, but I think that'd be a toss up. People tend to forget that with Goff playing poorly and McVay in his first Super Bowl, it was 3-3 and the Rams had the ball at midfield in the fourth quarter before a holding call stalled the drive. In a second game, the nerves of playing in a Super Bowl are gone so I'd expect the Rams to rebound in game 2. Game 3 would be a toss up IMO.

2020 Bucs

• They were 8-0 in their last 8
  • Pretending a 1-4 NFCCG turd just needed a best of 3 is an opinion I guess.

2019 Chiefs

• No one was stopping that team. They spotted everybody 10+ and crushed them all

2018 Patriots

• The Chiefs would go 1-1 in the first 2 and lose the 3rd in OT

2017 Eagles

• The best team won. They were the best team in week 1 and in week 21
  • The Patriots may not have even made the Super Bowl if the refs made the correct call on Myles Jack.
  • The last time the Saints won 2+ playoff games was 2009

2016 Patriots

• Brady > Atlanta. Pretending the 28-3 comeback can't happen again but the 28-3 lead would is also an opinion I guess.

The best team won each year.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1