Mock Drafts - We pick 7th

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I’ll say this. If Jon Gruden is our HC next year, Barkley will be a Buc. 

But the DL still needs some serious work and id argue that you can’t fix both the OL and DL this off-season and if we don’t fix the DL nothing will improve next season.

I believe most teams dress 7 olinemen on game day.  Whoever is in charge, I think there are 4 guys already on the roster who will be back for sure.  Not necessarily starting but part of the 7.  Marpet, Smith, Benenoch and Dotson.  I expect them to sign a starter through free agency.  I can see oline held off to day 3 with the focus on dline and RB days 1 and 2,

3 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I believe most teams dress 7 olinemen on game day.  Whoever is in charge, I think there are 4 guys already on the roster who will be back for sure.  Not necessarily starting but part of the 7.  Marpet, Smith, Benenoch and Dotson.  I expect them to sign a starter through free agency.  I can see oline held off to day 3 with the focus on dline and RB days 1 and 2,

Say we take Barkley in the 1st, who do we target on the DL in the 2nd and 3rd? I’d say we grab 1 end and one tackle. I heard the DL class was weak this year aside from the top guys.

28 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Say we take Barkley in the 1st, who do we target on the DL in the 2nd and 3rd? I’d say we grab 1 end and one tackle. I heard the DL class was weak this year aside from the top guys.

We could take a Chubb in the first and a Chubb in the second.

1 hour ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I m interested in learning more about Marcell Frazier from Mizzou and Marcus Davenport from UTSA.  The good part about a bad season is the 2nd round pick is basically another first and a couple of guys surprisingly fall out of the top 32.

30 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I m interested in learning more about Marcell Frazier from Mizzou and Marcus Davenport from UTSA.  The good part about a bad season is the 2nd round pick is basically another first and a couple of guys surprisingly fall out of the top 32.

And it wouldn't cost much to move up into the end of the first if we want to.

11 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

i know Barkley is talented, but it seems to me that he takes plays, hell maybe even games off , when he feels like it

plus IMO there is much more value in taking a Stud DE and a RB in the 2nd than doing it the other way around

id prefer DE Chubb round 1 and in the 2nd take a guy like Guiece or Love , that would be winning with the first 2 picks

56 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i know Barkley is talented, but it seems to me that he takes plays, hell maybe even games off , when he feels like it

plus IMO there is much more value in taking a Stud DE and a RB in the 2nd than doing it the other way around

id prefer DE Chubb round 1 and in the 2nd take a guy like Guiece or Love , that would be winning with the first 2 picks

I thought we'd be able to get Guice in the second too. I even mocked us taking him there. But I've seen him mocked to us in the first. So I don't think he falls out of the first round.

Luckily this looks like another deep class. Barkley is far and away the best RB in the draft but there seem to be five or more other guys who can come in and contribute right away.

Here's a new mock from Charlie.

bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Minkah FitzpatrickSAlabamaAlabama_logo.gif

The Buccaneers could use a safety upgrade, and Fitzpatrick is an excellent value with the seventh selection of the 2018 NFL Draft.

Fitzpatrick has 52 tackles, one interception, seven passes broken up and a forced fumble in 2017. He has played really well, doing everything that could be asked of a safety. Fitzpatrick is a superb center fielder, covering receivers deep downfield. He is also fast in pursuit, tackles well in space at the second level, can come down into the box, and is able to play man coverage against tight ends and slot receivers, plus help out his cornerbacks. The 6-foot-1, 203-pounder has excellent size and some natural cover skills. Sources have said that Fitzpatrick is a prototypical free safety for the NFL. They say he has good size, speed, athletic ability and high football I.Q. in a play-maker. 

In 2016, Fitzpatrick recorded 66 tackles with seven passes broken up and six interceptions. He was dominant at times for Alabama, splitting time between corner and safety. Fitzpatrick had a superb 2015 season for the Crimson Tide. The freshman totaled 45 tackles with two sacks, 11 passes broken up and two interceptions - both returned for a touchdowns.

He's got Rosen one, Darnold two, Barkley three, Derwin James four, Key five, and Chubb six. I like Fitz and think he's gonna be a good one. I've also seen folks say he can play around the LOS like a strong safety. But having two playmaking safeties that can cover would be awesome. But that pushes down DE and RB in the draft.

bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: J.C. Jackson, CBMaryland Maryland_logo.gif

The Bucs could use more young cornerback talent to go with Vernon Hargreaves. 

While he comes with serious off-the-field concerns, sources have raved about the talent and skill set of Jackson. The 6-foot-1, 193-pounder has excellent athleticism to go along with speed and good size. In 2017, Jackson totaled 40 tackles with seven passes broken up and three interceptions. He recorded 40 tackles with six breakups and a pick in 2016. 

Jackson was kicked out of the Florida Gators program in 2015 following an armed robbery - for which he was ultimately acquitted. There was also another incident in late 2014 during which Jackson was shot at - with a bullet grazing his eye lid - and a companion of his was shot in the face. The off-the-field issues are going to be vetted heavily, but Jackson has the physical talent to be an early-round pick for the NFL.

I mean. We DO have a pretty big hole at CB. Neither R Smith nor VHIII look like number ones. It really sucks to keep passing on our pass rush.

bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Chad Thomas, DE, Miami Miami_logo.gif

The Bucs could use more edge-rushing talent.

Sources tell me that the 6-foot-6, 265-pound Thomas is really talented physically, but he hasn't put it all together on the field. There are flashes of excellence and stretches of doing nothing while looking clueless. They say that Thomas lacks instincts as well. However because of his great skill set, grades are going to be all over the board on Thomas, with some high and some low. 

Thomas has 30 tackles with 8.5 for a loss and 3.5 sacks in 2017. In 2016, he collected 37 tackles with 11 for a loss, four sacks and three passes broken up.

There it is. And it's a guy I know nothing about. His description doesn't sound like a guy that should be taken in the third round. Y'all watch Florida sports teams. Anybody have any insight?

And this post decided to add another quote box for no reason. So here it is.

29 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Here's a new mock from Charlie.

He's got Rosen one, Darnold two, Barkley three, Derwin James four, Key five, and Chubb six. I like Fitz and think he's gonna be a good one. I've also seen folks say he can play around the LOS like a strong safety. But having two playmaking safeties that can cover would be awesome. But that pushes down DE and RB in the draft.

I mean. We DO have a pretty big hole at CB. Neither R Smith nor VHIII look like number ones. It really sucks to keep passing on our pass rush.

There it is. And it's a guy I know nothing about. His description doesn't sound like a guy that should be taken in the third round. Y'all watch Florida sports teams. Anybody have any insight?

I doubt they wait till 3rd round to address dline, unless they have one heck of free agency period.  I m pretty confident dline no later then 2nd round.

2 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Understand how we shouldn't wait on addressing the pass rush but we can't reach for a guy either who's not up the the talent standard over a guy like fitZpatrick at Alabama. Him and Evans could be studs back there. 

I'm really torn because I agree. Evans and Fitz could turn into an amazing duo. And having both of them roaming around would help our coverage everywhere. But it would suck to miss out on Chubb, Ferrell, or even Key.

I still think somehow getting both Fitz AND one of the top pass rushers would be a dream come true. But it's nothing more than a dream.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'm really torn because I agree. Evans and Fitz could turn into an amazing duo. And having both of them roaming around would help our coverage everywhere. But it would suck to miss out on Chubb, Ferrell, or even Key.

I still think somehow getting both Fitz AND one of the top pass rushers would be a dream come true. But it's nothing more than a dream.

That is a very tough call with that scenario.  I think Payne is going to gain momentum in the draft process.  Nelson would have to be in the conversation.

4 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

That is a very tough call with that scenario.  I think Payne is going to gain momentum in the draft process.  Nelson would have to be in the conversation.

Payne wouldn't be a bad choice either. You can't double him AND McCoy every play. And pressure up the middle is always a good thing.

Archived