So is Gardner Minshew your QBOTF now?

Uncle Buck

Who is the Eagles QB of the Future?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do YOU want as your QB of the future?

• Jalen Hurts
    • Gardner Minshew
    • Other

42 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Both QB's lack the arm strength to be true franchise guys. Kenny Pickett comp might actually be Gardner Minshew with smaller hands.
If Minshew or Hurts had even Kirk Cousins level arm talent, one of them could potentially be a franchise QB (if you consider the #14/15/16 QB's franchise guys), but their pea shooters mean the vertical game will always be limited and DB's will always have an extra half second to react to any ball thrown over 20 yards. That extra half second is the difference between receptions and passes defended on too many throws, thus neither guy is the real answer.

You can overcome average arm strength with exceptional anticipation or accuracy. It is far from a kiss of death from a QB, but our QB's aren't able to cover up the issue with their other strengths.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danger said:

What has Jalen Hurts shown you with his arm that he can be anything more than a backup in this league?

https://youtu.be/BuMzyyA8DME

Mind you that was the game 3TD were taken off the board vs KC due to penalties. What NFL throw did Hurts not complete in that Chiefs game?

32-48 387 yds 2TD

2 or 3 more TD removed due to penalties.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/.amp/news/penalties-negate-3-tds-eagles-lose-third-straight-game-with-loss-to-chiefs

You're acting as though he's incapable of throwing the ball because Sirianni is smart enough now to realize Running the ball wins you games. Especially when it means you're keeping this Eagles  defensive off the field!

Can we please stop acting like the Jets Defense is good in any facet of the game. It's why I was hoping Jalen was healthy so "He" too would of looked good vs that pitiful team.  

Edited by Nabbs4u

I think most of us initially wanted Hurts to succeed. He has all the intangibles for a franchise QB, he's an excellent leader and he's come from winning programs at Bama and OU. Unfortunately, he just has an average arm and his other QB-related issues aren't looking like they've been improving. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we rolled with Hurts next year because we don't get any of the bigger movers and we don't draft a QB. Hurts is the better athlete overall, whereas Minshew is the better QB.

That being said, I would only give up 1 first round pick if it meant we got Russell Wilson. I don't want Rodgers or Watson. I believe Russ could thrive on this team because our strength is our OL and he has never had a totally stable OL while at Seattle.

12 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The real poll:

Who hates a player the best?

And the nominees are:

@Danger Jalen Hurts

@IrishHooligan00 Rodney McLeod

@Jeezla Landon Dickerson

@ninjapirate Darius Slay

@literallyeveryone Jalen Reagor 

If we were counting coaches, I'd honestly say me, when it comes to Doug. I don't hate Hurts, he's just being given an unnecessarily long leash by this fanbase and it baffles me.

51 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

https://youtu.be/BuMzyyA8DME

Mind you that was the game 3TD were taken off the board vs KC due to penalties. What NFL throw did Hurts not complete in that Chiefs game?

32-48 387 yds 2TD

2 or 3 more TD removed due to penalties.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/.amp/news/penalties-negate-3-tds-eagles-lose-third-straight-game-with-loss-to-chiefs

You're acting as though he's incapable of throwing the ball because Sirianni is smart enough now to realize Running the ball wins you games. Especially when it means you're keeping this Eagles  defensive off the field!

Can we please stop acting like the Jets Defense is good in any facet of the game. It's why I was hoping Jalen was healthy so "He" too would of looked good vs that pitiful team.  

There is a very legit argument that none of this matters. Jalen doesnt suck because he cant throw the ball. You dont make it this far if you dont have the ability. He can do it. But the inches between his ears dont allow him to do it consistently. Thats not going to magically change because you want it too. The decision making is innate. You either have the ability to process 900 variables in a split second or you dont.  There is like 10-15 humans that have the ability... Hurts is not one of them.

Neither player you are going to consistently lose because of consistently win because of. The ceiling is likely capped for both, but both are good enough to allow you to be patient until you can find the right QB upgrade.

A strong preference of one over the other is likely due to the aesthetics you like in QB play. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

We playing the Jets the next 4 weeks too? 

Downplay it all you want but, best, if not one of the best, QB performances we’ve had all year. And with a guy that hasn’t played football in a year. 

Completing 20 of 25 passes against the Jets, Minshew became only the fourth quarterback in Eagles history to complete 80 percent of his passes, throw at least two touchdowns and no interceptions and pass for at least 200 yards in a game. And the first to do it in a road game. Donovan McNabb did it against the Giants in 2003 and Lions in 2007, Nick Foles against the Bears in 2013 and Carson Wentz vs. the Panthers in 2018.”

“Minshew's 133.7 passer rating was highest by an Eagles QB since Foles had a 141.4 mark in the 2017 NFC Championship Game over the Vikings and the highest on the road since Foles' 149.3 at Lambeau Field vs. the Packers in 2013. It's the highest ever by a quarterback in his first start as an Eagle. The previous high was Jeff Garcia's 121.0 rating in his first start after replacing injured Donovan McNabb in 2006, a 45-21 loss to the Colts at the RCA Dome.”

”Final Minshew stat: Minshew's 80 percent completion percentage against the Jets is 7th-highest in Eagles history (minimum 10 attempts) and 3rd-highest on the road, behind Garcia's 82.6 percent in that 2006 game against the Colts and Foles' 84.9 percent in a late 2018 game in Washington. He's the first Eagles QB ever to complete 80 percent of his passes and throw for at least 240 yards on the road.”

Admittedly, these are stratospheric numbers no one can keep up. And I’m not saying Minshew is our answer. But one can’t ignore the start. Scoff all day but those are team historic numbers. I, for one, would like to see if he can continue this. I’ve see Hurts for almost a whole season. And I love some stuff. And absolutely hate other stuff. I want a passer. And Minshew does that better. His reads are better. He processes better. If I could combine their talents I would. But I’ll side with the guy that hits 10 yard crossers in his sleep. Rather than the guy that continues to struggle with simple passes but has dynamic legs. 

• Like 1

I will be the first to admit I massively prefer the way the offense looked with Minshew compared to Hurts. Way more under center and conventional style NFL offense that took advantage of more consistent looks. That said what Minshew did from a performance perspective wasn't much better than what Hurts does on good weeks. He hit on a ton of screens and some nice downfield throws. The main benefit of Minshew is he  actually throws the ball over the middle of the field with confidence and he processes the field much better.

I don't like the constant shotgun/CFB style offense that we run with Hurts, but you can't ignore what he can do with his legs. He makes the defense play completely differently when he is in the game and that is a positive. When he is on his game his upside is pretty clear, but the problem with Hurts is he is so rarely on his game it is hard to believe he can ever do it consistently.

If the only thing we cared about was making the playoffs this year we should absolutely play Minshew the rest of the way. The consistency of having a more accurate thrower and using a pro style offense would benefit us more in the short term. That said the FO and coaches clearly want to give Hurts every chance to be the guy until he isn't and if it works out then it is clearly the better move imo. 

I'd say there is less than a 1% chance that Hurts or Minshew are starting for the Eagles in 2023. Both are likely career backups/journeyman.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Way more under center and conventional style NFL offense

9 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don't like the constant shotgun/CFB style offense that we run with Hurts

Except we were predominantly shotgun against the Jets with Minshew. It was talked about on at least 2 or so of the Eagles post game pods I listened to. I wanna say the Inside the Birds podcast noted the percentage of shotgun, but I can’t remember it right now. Either way the expectation was we would do more under center with Minshew, but it really didn’t come to fruition last Sunday. 

Overall I’m pretty happy with the job Nick has done this year as the play caller, but a bit more under center whether with Jalen or Gardner would be preferred. 

13 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Neither player you are going to consistently lose because of consistently win because of. The ceiling is likely capped for both, but both are good enough to allow you to be patient until you can find the right QB upgrade.

A strong preference of one over the other is likely due to the aesthetics you like in QB play. 

This is pretty much where I’m at rn.

On 12/8/2021 at 12:44 AM, Nabbs4u said:

I'd rather this thread of been created by a Eagles poster so I could make fun of them instead of You.

Absolutely nothing Minshew did vs the pitiful Jets had an effect towards Jalen Hurts either in 2021 or  2022. Anyone including Danger thinking otherwise is on crack!

I have to agree. Jalen would have beat the Jets too.